Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

20 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

I expect nothing less from laser brained nerfherders. However I will admit you are sort of lousy at it.

The skits he does in the reviews are rather entertaining. 

But since there are other reviews so here is one.

You know, I used to sub to Angry Joe, I really did. But he just flanderized himself so damned hard.

On 5/25/2018 at 1:57 AM, Sasajak said:

This film has changed what the Star Wars universe means to me.  It is a much darker and depressing galaxy than I ever imagined - poverty, slavery, oppression in abundance.  What gets me is these things seem deeply grained and haven’t happened since the rise of the Empire.  So what were the Jedi or Republic doing for 1,000 years?  Quite why the Rebellion formed with the aim of restoring the Republic is now beyond me.  It appears it was just a less bad Empire for the masses - is the Alliance based on proganda and lies?  This film had no “hope” in it and left me feeling depressed.  Maybe that was the point?  Or maybe I’m too idealistic?

As a movie it’s OK.  There’s some good laughs sprinkled in, the droid stole the show (again the droids act better than most their human counterparts) and I liked the linkage with the rest of the universe.  Lando was a real highlight for me.  Brilliantly acted and scripted.

I didn’t like the Han shot first sequence.  He came over a too ruthless for me.  Unlike the cantina scene where he is backed into a corner, here I felt there were options other than a cold blooded killing.  I know why they did it but didn’t like it.

Of course this is my perspective.  I really love Rogue One, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.  This one didn’t rock my boat.  I’m not into the scum side of the universe so there’s an obstacle there.  I found it to be just average comic book style film.  If you’re into scum I can see why you’d like it more.

Hope I’ve not offended anyone who enjoyed it.  I’ve tried to be measured and tempered in my thoughts.  I didn’t hate the film but it could’ve been so much more.

I don't think it changes anything in the wider Star Wars universe. They were in the Outer Rim for most of the movie (after all, Anakin and his mother were slaves on Tatooine when the Republic/Jedi Order were in power). The Republic didn't govern the outer rim (aside from a few planets like Naboo), so the prohibition on slavery couldn't have been enforced and the Jedi would have had limited official jurisdiction if any. The individual systems would have had their own laws and enforcement independent of the Republic and the Jedi. I doubt that the Empire could be bothered to wag its finger at a few backwaters that participate in the slave trade. In Legends I believe it was clearly established that the Empire often made use of slave labour, so it might have been directly participating in the slave trade on those worlds and had no interest in shutting it down.

@Sasajak

You mean the star wars that opens up with a genocide, and aside from 1 reaction shot from Leia and Obi-Wan, everyone glosses over it like it's no big deal. And Alderaan is a central planet known all over the galaxy... 

Or the Star Wars that routinely ignores the rights of droids, beings capable of free thought, feelings and emotions? 

Or the Star Wars that blatantly ignores the struggles of non-human aliens, like Wookiees? WHY DIDN'T CHEWIE GET A MEDAL? 

These are the heroes of the franchise, mind you. 

Star Wars is pretty bleak, if you care to take a look at it. The theme of a movie does not reflect on reality... it's just the mood the artists were going for. 

Like how you can tell a heartwarming love story set in Poland during the 2nd world war. You can even make it a funny rom-com, just by the virtue of not showing certain things, and emphasizing the elements you think are important. People probably fell in love, and even had fun during those day, just not too many. If you collect enough of those moments, you can have a funny film. That doesn't make the setting of the movie less bleak. 

So Star Wars is a high action pulp movie, based on mythological archetypes. This is the part you like. But don't think that those elements rule out darkness, that is there in the core of the setting from the beginning. 

After all... It is an adventure setting, and it would be an awful boring to have adventures in a setting where everything goes right. 

On 5/27/2018 at 7:31 PM, Incard said:

That part in particular bugged me as well.

ROSE (paraphrasing): What's the one business that could get people so rich?

FINN: .... war.

Whereas my thoughts were "Real Estate? Finance? Consumer Electronics? Energy?"

"Producing Star Wars films?"

18 hours ago, Conandoodle said:

There’s talk of a Boba Fett film .. there were plenty of references to the ‘scum and villiany’ element of the SW universe in Solo (the very out of place Maul scene points to this element too). I would argue that a Boba Fett film would act as a sequel to Solo (Han’s story has been told) and this story arc would be unpacked through films focusing on other characters. 

Didn't they already do a Boba Fett movie?  I think it was called Star Wars Episode II or something like that.

5 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

You know, I used to sub to Angry Joe, I really did. But he just flanderized himself so damned hard.

The guy lost all credibility with me when he backtracked on his TLJ review around a week after posting it.  It was a hilarious display of hypocrisy.

Still don't understand the hype around Boba Fett.  The guy is actually quite useless when we see him.

It's actually Vader that does all the work in getting Solo captured and then prepped for transport to Jabba; Fett is merely a glorified FedEx courier.

Then, in RotJ, he manages to do sweet FA before getting his **** handed to him by a young Jedi who hasn't completed his training and a blind guy, who just happens to be the SAME guy he had only delivered a few weeks earlier.

And let's not talk about his Dad who a) pays for someone else to try kill Padme (who also fails); b) kills said person using a rare poison dart that actually leads Obi-Wan to the cloning facility and him (nice try in keeping a low profile) only to c) have Obi-Wan then follow him across the galaxy and discover the secret droid army factory and staging post planet; and then d) manages to kill or stop no one before getting his head removed by Sam Jackson.  

By rights, Boba and dad should be consigned to the category of overrated and useless movie characters.

1 hour ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

And let's not talk about his Dad who a) pays for someone else to try kill Padme (who also fails); b) kills said person using a rare poison dart that actually leads Obi-Wan to the cloning facility and him (nice try in keeping a low profile) only to c) have Obi-Wan then follow him across the galaxy and discover the secret droid army factory and staging post planet; and then d) manages to kill or stop no one before getting his head removed by Sam Jackson. 

Well to be fair for point B, if it wasn't for Dex's vast knowledge, obi-wan might have no had no clue where the dart came from.  Also both point B & C were arguably set up by Sidious to get the war started since the clones were ready to go.  I doubt Jango knew that though, he was just a pawn.

As for point D, he did kill a jedi council member AND the reek before dying.  If it wasn't for his jetpack failing he would have kept up the fight against Mace and maybe even won considering how close his fight Obi-wan was. 

The ironic thing is both died because of their love of the jetpack.

Perhaps jetpacks are to the Star Wars universe as what capes are to the 'Incredibles' universe?

And yes, you're right.  He did kill one Jedi.  But the fact that I'd originally forgotten about it shows just how unmemorable it was.

Edited by Dr Zoidberg

11 hours ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Still don't understand the hype around Boba Fett.  The guy is actually quite useless when we see him.

By rights, Boba and dad should be consigned to the category of overrated and useless movie characters.

Based on what little of him we see in canon, you may be right. The other side of that coin is, well, that may be precisely why we need a feature length film where Boba plays a significant role. We know he has a big reputation, but there isn't much to substantiate why at this point. I'd like to know why he is one of the galaxy's most feared bounty hunters lol.

Not going through 16 pages of replies. Saw Solo yesterday, and was happy with it.

Much, much better than TLJ. Shame that so many folks on the internet are refusing to see it because of their dislike of TLJ. I also know folks complained he doesn’t look like Ford, but if you get past that I felt he was true to character.

I really want to see either a 2nd Solo film where Han crosses paths with Crimson Dawn again (perhaps while in the employ of Jabba, and have a Hutts vs CD conflict?), or at the very least a movie of some sort with Crimson Dawn as characters, specifically their apparent leader.

Finally saw it. Loved it. No idea why people are so down on it.

can our scum falcon get a title that KILLS a 3-Hull ship at range 1 when an asteroid is also in range 1? Just barrel roll instead of firing during the combat phase. Easy to balance.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

13 hours ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

It's actually Vader that does all the work in getting Solo captured and then prepped for transport to Jabba; Fett is merely a glorified FedEx courier.

Then, in RotJ, he manages to do sweet FA before getting his **** handed to him by a young Jedi who hasn't completed his training and a blind guy, who just happens to be the SAME guy he had only delivered a few weeks earlier.

Vader didn't do all the work, it's Boba who a) figures out Han's ploy, b) successfully and stealthily tracks him and c) works out he's heading to Bespin, gets there ahead of him and calls in Vader.

The only reason Boba didn't capture him there and then is because the Imperial bounty superseded Jabba's. Vader wanted the Falcon found (that is specifically what he says the reward is for) because he wanted to use Han and Leia as a trap for Luke. If anything, it's actually pretty impressive that Boba is able to work the angles such that he gets both the Empire's bounty for the Falcon and Jabba's bounty on Han. Not to mention he gets Vader to assure him he'll still be paid Jabba's bounty if Vader gets Han killed.

Regardless, Boba Fett isn't popular so much because of what he does. It's more what he represents, and more about what goes unsaid than said. He's pretty much the only bad guy in Star Wars we ever see properly back-sass Vader and get away with it. The question of how he gets away with that, where he comes from, where he got his armour, why is his face a T... it all lends an air of mystery to him. He doesn't say much, he has cool armour and he (apparently) doesn't take **** from anyone, even Vader. I don't get why people don't understand that's enough for a lot of people to form an attachment in a franchise predominantly driven by rule of cool. I'm not saying you also have to like Boba just because he looks cool, but don't act like you can't see why a bunch of people like a stone cold threatening dude in badass armour who's not afraid to call Vader out when his credits are on the line, even if all he does is stand there and look menacing. Scratch that, because all he does is stand there and look menacing. 

People also need to remember that Boba Fett isn't popular because he's an amazing bounty hunter. He was (later) written to be an amazing bounty hunter because he was so popular.

RE: Jango.

You're not wrong, but let's not pretend he's the only thing about AotC that doesn't make sense. All the stuff about him not doing the hit himself, using a super unique dart instead of just a blaster etc. are because AotC's plot is absolute garbage and all of its characters are just strung along from event to event because they read it in the script. 

That Jango was able to fight Obi-Wan to a standstill, smoke a minor Jedi with a couple of pistol shots from the hip and wreck Obi-Wan's face in ship to ship combat is also arguably more impressive than a lot of the stuff Han gets up to in the OT. 

I was not much of a fan of TLJ, and I had low expectations going into this, but I really liked it.  All of the main characters, Tobias, Solo, especially lando and Q'ira  were all really well acted.  I even enjoyed the copilot droid.  I will say that I thought Han should have been a little less good, he was a bit too altruistic I thought, and I thought they should have covered his time as an imperial pilot better, but these are minor points to what i thought was a very solid movie overall.  I love the "lived in, grimy" star wars feel that the OT had, loved some of the nods to the original series, little nods to things like aurra sing, etc.  The plot was fairly predictable except for the end, but then we all knew a lot of what had to happen anyway.  One thing I could not figure out is why, if Han is that good at 
sabbac, why was he a pickpocket for proxima in the first place?  He won a ton of money the first time we see him play, seems like he could have easily stayed out of her net or bought his way free if he's that good at gambling.  I also would have preferred a different take on the enemy mercs, again a bit too goody goody for me, but these are minor quibbles and I really enjoyed it over all.  I don't know when I have seen a star wars movie with so many great actors.  while woody's character was cliche, he pulled it off well and it felt authentic. I predict this movie will pick up steam as the positive word gets out from those who have actually seen it.

2 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I really want to see either a 2nd Solo film where Han crosses paths with Crimson Dawn again (perhaps while in the employ of Jabba, and have a Hutts vs CD conflict?), or at the very least a movie of some sort with Crimson Dawn as characters, specifically their apparent leader.

Consider that, as far as the Pyke Syndicate knows, it WAS Crimson Dawn that stole from them - and Dryden isn't around to smooth over those bumps - that movie has another potential angle of a three-way gang war between Crimson Dawn, the Pykes, and the Hutts.  Boba Fett, Qi'Ra and Maul, and even Solo (in a more minor role) all fit into such a story pretty easily.

Heck, if people start turning up on Tatooine with a mind to do some kidnapping and some mob hits as part of the power-grabs, a certain retired Jedi might have to get a little bit more activity in...

(Although this is somewhat limited by Maul not knowing Obi-Wan is on Tatooine at the point of 'Rebels'.  OTOH, if he has a major plot on Tatooine fail and doesn't understand why, it would add to his 'Of course...' sort of comment in Rebels when he finds out Obi-Wan is there)

I think the way Solo ended helped set up that next potential movie pretty well...a lot of options, there, to pick and choose from.

19 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Consider that, as far as the Pyke Syndicate knows, it WAS Crimson Dawn that stole from them - and Dryden isn't around to smooth over those bumps - that movie has another potential angle of a three-way gang war between Crimson Dawn, the Pykes, and the Hutts.  Boba Fett, Qi'Ra and Maul, and even Solo (in a more minor role) all fit into such a story pretty easily.

Heck, if people start turning up on Tatooine with a mind to do some kidnapping and some mob hits as part of the power-grabs, a certain retired Jedi might have to get a little bit more activity in...

(Although this is somewhat limited by Maul not knowing Obi-Wan is on Tatooine at the point of 'Rebels'.  OTOH, if he has a major plot on Tatooine fail and doesn't understand why, it would add to his 'Of course...' sort of comment in Rebels when he finds out Obi-Wan is there)

I think the way Solo ended helped set up that next potential movie pretty well...a lot of options, there, to pick and choose from.

The whole point of Beckett and crew doing the job int he first place was that they weren't actually part of crimson dawn, in theory the pyke syndicate shouldn't know that crimson dawn was behind the original theft.

3 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

The whole point of Beckett and crew doing the job int he first place was that they weren't actually part of crimson dawn, in theory the pyke syndicate shouldn't know that crimson dawn was behind the original theft.

In theory, sure.  But now Qi'ra - who was on Kessel during the revolt/prison riot - is running the visible portion of Crimson Dawn, and Dryden Vos is dead.  The plan they had, which would have kept Crimson Dawn out of the picture, fell apart pretty much instantly.

It wasn't really a good movie, it wasn't really a bad movie but it most certainly was a movie. 

The good:

Lots of fun references. Enough little things that mega nerds will be happy yet still nods to those that have only a passing knowledge of the lore. 

Any scene with Han and Lando or Han and Chewie. They really understood the dynamic between these characters, and anytime they interacted with one another it really "felt" like Han Solo. Sadly all the time spent with the other characters meant it felt like it could be any space movie about space people doing space crimes. But the chemistry with the Han's main relationships was spot on and will make you smile if you are a Han Solo fan.

The Sabacc scene. Its the best most engaging scene in the movie. Two cocky dudes posturing for everyone. The scene plays out fantastically and IS Han Solo. 

Decent pacing (once you get past the first act). Its a pretty long movie but they do a pretty good job keeping the story moving forward. 

A real "Star Wars Story", unlike Rouge One which was basically another installment of the same Star Wars narrative we have always had, Solo is a completely independent story set within the Star Wars universe. It has its own beginning, middle, and end. Outside using characters we know, it could have existed entirely on its own. 

The bad: 

If you are going to make me read in a Star Wars movie, put it in the **** Star Wars crawl. Using that blue text for anything other than "A long time ago" was a ridiculous choice Opie. 

The whole first act was proper rubbish. Including the worst set of dialogue in cinema history leading to how Han got his last name. (I wanted so badly to let out a very loud "Oh **** You Movie" after that happened) 

Han "speaking" Wookie sounds like anyone at the bar doing a Chewie impression. It would have been fine at the bar, not in a movie.  Also, based on THIS iteration, of the Han mythos, how in the **** did he speak Wookie (implied in the movies as a pretty rare thing)? For something so important to this story ( I mean Han and Chewie is kinda a big deal) to gloss over that is crazy. 

Droid Rights, what the **** was this? Also if it was a thing why did nothing become of it. It comes and then goes so fast and so awkwardly it was like there were multiple directors and the scripts were a bit rushed out or something. Then to have the one droid that was all about free will to have no say in the matter of being turned into the Falcon's permanent Garmin totally missed the mark.

Another "alien" song that, ugh. Its like no one understands remotely what made the original Cantina scene good, this song almost made the updated song in RotJ look good, almost. 

Bad guys, yawn. No one memorable or exciting, I guess when they have to be disposable you don't want to put much effort into making them interesting. 

Han's arc. Han has a complete character arc in the trilogy, so trying to recreate it in a single movie is off putting. Having him be both this "good guy" and a "scoundrel" at the same time just doesn't work. I mean this is a guy, who not that many years after the end of this movie, wants NOTHING to do with helping people, just give up more money than he can imagine (and he can imagine a lot) to help some people that were trying to kill him. They could have done a much better job seeding his underlying good guy-ness without such a blatant "look at how sweet he really is" moment that is totally out of his character. 

Could it have been better? Yes. But it could have easily been much worse. All in all its a fine, movie, but there is little to be super excited about. In a few years it will be a movie you wouldn't turn off if it came on the TV, but not a movie you would plan to sit down and watch. 

35 minutes ago, PastrySandwich said:

Droid Rights, what the **** was this? Also if it was a thing why did nothing become of it.

Uhhh...that's, like, been there since 1977.

"Hey, we don't serve their kind, here!"

I mean...you get where that phrase has been used before, right?  Especially in 1977.  That can't have been accidental.  It's true that the main Star Wars stories about the Skywalker family haven't really done much more with that arc, but it's definitely always been there in the background - like a lot of stuff we saw more clearly in Solo than in previous movies.