Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

8 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

R1 wasn't really war movie either.  It was another heist movie

Well - it was a heist with a lot of explosions happening. Kellys Heroes fits under both labels, to me, as another example

The setting depends on what you want to show. It's not the Godfather per se because fett isn't one. If it's a Jabba movie, maybe. For Fett to be iconically Fett he has to be bounty hunting, which means chasing a wanted man (hence my thought of Samuel Gerard in US Marshalls with the other marshalls being his fellow gang of hunters)

It's not going to be him starting (because he does that as a kid in clone wars), but it could be him 'coming out of retirement' John Wick fashion, or else he's either working for Jabba or the Empire (possibly Vader directly - hence the pointed 'no disintegrations' at him in Empire)

Edited by Magnus Grendel

11 minutes ago, AngryAlbatross said:

They still haven't explained what happened with Jabba.  So its possible! He still has to jettison his cargo at the first sign of Imperial trouble!

I’m thinking the Solo story line will carry over into the Boba Fett story and into the rumored Obi Wan film. 

10 hours ago, Marinealver said:

When was fuel a problem (besides TLJ).

187j54.jpg

Xanderf already posted examples for you from both the Clone Wars cartoon and Rebels. It again even goes back to the old EU stuff too. Wedge's original backstory is that his parents owned a fueling depot for instance. There is more to Star Wars then the films.

On 5/25/2018 at 12:20 AM, SOTL said:

I think it's sure to lose money, and Disney know it.  They've not wasted much money marketing it, that's throwing good money after bad, just let it die and learn the lessons for next time.

What lessons?  Surely if this film has been a financial disappointment the lessons pertain to TLJ, not Solo. (Sorry for the late response, only just seen it so was avoiding this thread).

17 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/27/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-bombs-with-148m-global-weekend/#30db9088221f

What the ****, Forbes!? Rogue One made 155mil opening weekend! What about SOLO is failing?

What the ****? HOW IS 148 BAD!?

because that is global, while rogue one made 155 mil domestically. that is a major difference, especially since solo had a extra day its opening weekend due to the extended weekend.

6 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Deadpool 2 was also a far, FAR better movie.

I disagree. DP 2 just recycles the DP 1 plot without the origin story subplot and central villain. Sure the jokes and 4th wall breaks are new, but the repetitive formula is there, something I would not expect from Deadpool, but would expect some formula in a prequel Star Wars movie.

18 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

At the risk of derailing the topic completely....

WHAT??!!  The plots of the 2 weren’t even remotely similar

DP is a merc with a love interest, something causes him to be separated from said interest, he has two failed plans (both revolving around his love interest), and the third one works, and the movie ends he gets everything he lost back at the end. 

42 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

DP is a merc with a love interest, something causes him to be separated from said interest, he has two failed plans (both revolving around his love interest), and the third one works, and the movie ends he gets everything he lost back at the end. 

Reduce something long enough, you'll get the same basic stories. 

44 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

The first was a revenge story, hunt down the one that wronged him

the second was a personal redemption story, protect someone in order to atone for past sins

19 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

I take it you don't like Angry Joe

His movie reviews are typically poor he's a very easy guy to please, his fans would much prefer be stick to games.

the other year there was quite a fuss because instead of doing games he was doing hour long episodes on stuff like GoT, fans threatened to pull patreon money because he was breaking previously set schedules he threw a hissy fit and has kind of faded into irrelevance.

I can understand him wanting to branch out but when your taking money to fulfil a promise you can't really blame the people paying your bills for wanting what they paid for.

Just now, Hobojebus said:

His movie reviews are typically poor he's a very easy guy to please, his fans would much prefer be stick to games.

the other year there was quite a fuss because instead of doing games he was doing hour long episodes on stuff like GoT, fans threatened to pull patreon money because he was breaking previously set schedules he threw a hissy fit and has kind of faded into irrelevance.

I can understand him wanting to branch out but when your taking money to fulfil a promise you can't really blame the people paying your bills for wanting what they paid for.

Yeah I prefer the "Angry Reviews", that is the main reason why I watched his channel. But going back he did do movie reviews even in 2009 (stumbled across them while looking at some of TB's old content). They were much worst and these are not that good. I'm still waiting for Red Letter Media  Half in the Bag and Nostalgia Critic's reenactment reviews. I hope RLM does a Mr. Plinket review but since TLJ didn't get one I don't expect one for this movie.

2 hours ago, Marinealver said:

I take it you don't like Angry Joe

Never heard of him before today.

But, no, I don't.

If your first complaint about a movie is that you know the characters survive, so any kind of suspense is pointless, you must hate 99% of movies, and therefore shouldn't be reviewing them for a living

6 minutes ago, jokerkd said:

But, no, I don't.

If your first complaint about a movie is that you know the characters survive, so any kind of suspense is pointless, you must hate 99% of movies, and therefore shouldn't be reviewing them for a living

Hehe. As you put it, Angry Joe is not reviewing stuff. He shouts at the camera for a living. :D 

It's sort if a double edged sword. If you feel like all potential tension or suspense is removed because you know certain characters cannot die in a particular movie, then your understanding and appreciation of movies, and of narrative  in general, is crude, shallow, and unrefined. So obviously movies should not be made with your understanding in mind.

However, it is sadly a common problem. So movies MUST consider that type of viewer when making a movie or else alienate some of their potential customers. No one WANTS to pander to the mouth-breathers, but there's just so MANY of them...

3 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Honestly Angry Joe is a frakkin' idiot.

Treats his fans like crap too.

I expect nothing less from laser brained nerfherders. However I will admit you are sort of lousy at it.

2 hours ago, jokerkd said:

But, no, I don't.

2 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

Hehe. As you put it, Angry Joe is not reviewing stuff. He shouts at the camera for a living. :D 

The skits he does in the reviews are rather entertaining. 

But since there are other reviews so here is one.

Edited by Marinealver

2 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

The skits he does in the reviews are rather entertaining. 

Sure. The late night shows are entertaining as well. They are not news however. 

I used to watch him occasionally when YouTube was newer, and high end reviews of games weren't that common, he never really grabbed my attention tho. 

The problem with his format, is that it thrives on controversy, and he also fuels it. He is hyperbolic on purpose, but it creates a weird dynamic where talking ***** is basically his thing, so he has to chime in on the common talking points. 

He is not alone in this, and there you have it. Outrage culture. Not my thing.