Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

4 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/27/box-office-solo-a-star-wars-story-bombs-with-148m-global-weekend/#30db9088221f

What the ****, Forbes!? Rogue One made 155mil opening weekend! What about SOLO is failing?

What the ****? HOW IS 148 BAD!?

I don't know what they wrote because they don't allow me on the site for disallowing marketing cookies, but you are comparing 148 world-wide to 155 domestically.

3 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

I would expect it to be running in some form within a few months of Palpatine’s ascension. By the time of rebels it was probably a dying organization since there were virtually no Jedi left by that point.  

It was started in 19BBY

Vader meets the inquisitors shortly after his "resurrection"

11 hours ago, Incard said:

It seems that user ratings of Solo on aggregation sites are increasing as more people actually view the film. That's encouraging. I am 100% ok with people who dislike stuff, even those who do so passionately. So be it; to each his own and all that. However, it seems that some folks are going beyond civil disagreement. It's unfortunate that evidently some serious trolls have decided to plant their flag on the SW franchise. It's the hill they want to die on, I suppose.

That's the thing. People are not required to like a film. If you've seen it, and hate it, more power to you.

But either (a) actually watch it, or (b) don't rag on how [censored] awful a film you haven't seen is "because facebook said so."

9 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

Only war gets people this rich? I mean yeah, I guess weapons manufacture and sales is good business, but surely there's a bunch of other ways people get obscenely rich?

Making starship fuel, for example.

9 hours ago, VanderLegion said:

They could have cut 20+ minutes from the sequence and still had plenty of time to have them bring back the wrong slicer and get everyone killed

The thing is, they are sent to the other side of the darn galaxy because only this one guy can do the job......except they get thrown in jail and random dude they're sharing a cell with is perfectly capable.

Just now, Magnus Grendel said:

That's the thing. People are not required to like a film. If you've seen it, and hate it, more power to you.

But either (a) actually watch it, or (b) don't rag on how [censored] awful a film you haven't seen is "because facebook said so."

Making starship fuel, for example.

The thing is, they are sent to the other side of the darn galaxy because only this one guy can do the job......except they get thrown in jail and random dude they're sharing a cell with is perfectly capable.

Did we establish if it was the wrong slicer, or if Maz's guy was just a little more... morally grey than she might have hoped?

6 hours ago, Marinealver said:

yeah, I get they were trying to recreate the asteroid scene, but again I ask "why not the asteroid field". Some strange cloud with tunnels and such again put outer space into some claustrophobic area where it did not need to be. But yeah I know space slugs and mynocks are something but that was in an asteroid. This wasn't even a nebula it was some sort of weird space cloud cavern.

Do you even Star Wars, bro?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run/Legends

Seems like Solo had a pretty accurate depiction of the Kessel Run to me.

14 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

Did we establish if it was the wrong slicer, or if Maz's guy was just a little more... morally grey than she might have hoped?

Maz described a dashing gambler who always wears a red flower pin and apparently spends his entire time, 24/7, playing at high stake tables.

Rose and Finn found a guy perfectly fitting this description, but that's when the police found them and jailed them for parking violation.

3 hours ago, eMeM said:

I don't know what they wrote because they don't allow me on the site for disallowing marketing cookies, but you are comparing 148 world-wide to 155 domestically.

Yeah way back on May 5th they were telling us solo was out selling black panther in pre-bookings and was going to make 200 million domestic and would smash it on release.

So 83 million domestic massively under performs compared to studios worst expectations.

Further more it might actually of cost more than 250million to make and it's come out they spent more than usual panic buying ad time as release got closer, new total estimate for what the film owes the mouse is closer to 500million according to some reports.

17 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Do you even Star Wars, bro?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run/Legends

Seems like Solo had a pretty accurate depiction of the Kessel Run to me.

I think it's handled better than in Legends.

In Han Solo trilogy the Kessel Run is also when Solo dumped Jabba's cargo at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser, and happens a few days before Episode IV. Han couldn't possibly expect people to hear about it, and maybe advertising it isn't a good idea in the first place considering this ******.

There’s talk of a Boba Fett film .. there were plenty of references to the ‘scum and villiany’ element of the SW universe in Solo (the very out of place Maul scene points to this element too). I would argue that a Boba Fett film would act as a sequel to Solo (Han’s story has been told) and this story arc would be unpacked through films focusing on other characters. 

I'm imagining a gang war playing out between the Crimson Dawn and the Tatooine Hutt cartels, with our various players having roles on both sides of the conflict. But the conflict itself is really sort of in the background and the stories of our characters are what is being focused on. We can see Han in Jabba's employ (or not, to start with. Maybe he switches sides late in the game?) and Boba Fett. And perhaps a crazy old hermit living out in the dune sea might get involved behind the scenes..

1 hour ago, Conandoodle said:

It was nice of Lando to conveniently forget that Han owed him a VCX100.

Serious question though: At times Lando’s voice was very Billy Dee Williams. Do you think they sliced BDW over to add authenticity?

He’s just a good actor. 

My take on it: graphics were nice, characters believable and the camaraderie was there.  A lot, lot, lot of work was put into the movie to put in subtle or not to subtle references to all the other movies / lore which is great... for hardcore Star Wars fans (like me).  I feel as though a normal viewer (like my wife) would probably miss out a lot.

I liked:

- Lando (he nailed it)

- The way Chewy and Han initially met (felt so sorry for Chewy when I first saw him)

- How one of the main characters, the Falcon itself, felt more fleshed out as a character.

The movie enhanced a few scenes for me in the original triology including (Empire Strikes Back):

- How C3PO mentions that the Falcon has a peculiar dialect (and probably has a volatile character like R2)

- When Chewy chokes Lando, I knew he was furious, but considering their history, now he seems even more so (and with good reasons)!

What the movie most likely suffers from is that we knew the end before it even started: Han, Chewy, Lando survived and Han got the Falcon.  It could therefore not have the free range of possibilities that a movie like Rogue One could have.  That being said, I stepped in the theatre with those expectations, so overall, I was more "pleasantly entertained".

I guess Disney should learn that if they go for stand alone movies, they should focus on an original story with its own characters to help boost sales.

It's an interesting comparison with Rogue One. While the plot element of Rogue One was set (they were always going to get the death star plans to the rebel fleet) the fate of the characters was not. While SOLO was the opposite: I had no idea what was going to happen with Qi'ra (I mean, it was a fairly generic, transparent double-cross, but going INTO the movie it wasn't apparent) or the coaxium or Beckett. I didn't know what the kessel run would be for, why it would have to be done in less than 12 parsecs (rounding down) or anything. Literally anything could have happened in this movie.

Except we knew Han, Lando and Chewie would survive, no matter what.

So both movies had a certain element of freedom, but in different ways.

I think external factors rather than movie quality are to blame for the different reception. Rogue One was just the second of the new Star Wars movies, so the crowd was riding really high. And I remember there being a lot more marketing and excitement for it, but that might just be me remembering things wrong. It seemed like there was next to no promotion and marketing for SOLO. One of my friends had no idea it was coming out this month, and he's a Star Wars fan. The other is the time of the release, with fans having just spent money to go and see Infinity War, and competing against Deadpool, it seems like they would have had more luck with a December release, which also helps to reinforce a sense of continuity and routine with the fans. Christmas = Star Wars.

Yeah, I gotta say I blame the timing to some extent for being lukewarm on it.

It's less than 6 months since the last one, and it's coming of 3 weeks of back to back super fun cinema for me (Deadpool and Inf War, but also Rampage which I had a huge amount of fun with) so it just had a lot to live up to.

I'd've preferred them to wait til next christmas for it, it would have been a better timeframe.

2 hours ago, Conandoodle said:

There’s talk of a Boba Fett film .. there were plenty of references to the ‘scum and villiany’ element of the SW universe in Solo (the very out of place Maul scene points to this element too). I would argue that a Boba Fett film would act as a sequel to Solo (Han’s story has been told) and this story arc would be unpacked through films focusing on other characters. 

I'd like to see the Fett storyline. We last see Fett during the clone wars as a kid. He's basically been raised by a bunch of bounty hunters, a gang of which he now seems to be leading, but that doesn't square away with the established loner we see by the time of the civil war.

Depending on what happens, it could be an interesting story. If rogue one was the 'war movie' and solo the 'heist movie' then fett can be either played as taken, the punisher, or the fugitive/US Marshalls.

I did think Donald Glover was spot on. Alden Ehrenreich was good to watch, but wasn't quite right - but let's be fair, Harrison Ford - Han Solo, Indiana Jones, and basically the original archetype actor for the character you're trying to play - is pretty big shoes to fill, and it was a very good attempt, which I'd happily watch more of.

Edited by Magnus Grendel