Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

yeah, I get they were trying to recreate the asteroid scene, but again I ask "why not the asteroid field". Some strange cloud with tunnels and such again put outer space into some claustrophobic area where it did not need to be. But yeah I know space slugs and mynocks are something but that was in an asteroid. This wasn't even a nebula it was some sort of weird space cloud cavern.

Nebray_Mantas.JPG

2 minutes ago, Commander Kaine said:

Interesting tidbit, he has his Inquisitor lightsaber already at this point. So the Inquisitorius is up and running BBY 10. 

I would expect it to be running in some form within a few months of Palpatine’s ascension. By the time of rebels it was probably a dying organization since there were virtually no Jedi left by that point.  

Just now, SEApocalypse said:

Nebray_Mantas.JPG

So it is based more on the comics. 

Well comics tend to go all crazy with storylines anyways, for example Rebel Fel.

So if you liked the comics you will like this movie. That is the explanation, I never got into those. I mean I get into comics but not very many, the Star Wars ones were not comics that really caught my attention.

18 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

The real question is what did Maul want with enough refined coaxium to power an entire fleet?

That's an easy answer: Most likely to power an entire fleet. He still is way behind his old master and that master is out to kill him. He needs ships, he needs weapons and he is most likely rather desperate as well. Vader and his Inquisitors are on his tail as well. 

1 minute ago, Marinealver said:

So if you liked the comics you will like this movie. That is the explanation, I never got into those. I mean I get into comics but not very many, the Star Wars ones were not comics that really caught my attention.

Nope, this is from The Clone Wars. George Lucas own pet project. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

2 minutes ago, ScottieATF said:

I'm just quoting this for the absurdity of it.

Seriously. Look it up. Compatriots was a coined term in soviet tactics to refer to Soviet sympathizers in other countries. They expected a certain level of compatriots in all countries. Similar to America referring to people as “allies”. 

It’s a word L3 uses that rubbed me the wrong way. Nothing more than that. 

16 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

Well, it's not like she called them comrades. And it's nice that it blends the exploitation of droids (if there can be such a thing) as a topic comparable both to the exploitation of the proletariat, and racial inequality.

And Han did make it as a pilot, he just get demoted for something or other. He mentioned it in the film but I forget exactly what he said.

Also, was there actually a fuel crisis going on? I kinda missed that. I just figured the fuel was expensive and hard to come by. The real question is what did Maul want with enough refined coaxium to power an entire fleet?

I feel like people are making up the fuel shortage idea for no reason. Just seems like military grade fuel is an expensive commodity that is closely guarded by the Empire.

I imagine those Dark Elf yachts don't take regular at the pump.

Just now, Mackaywarrior said:

Seriously. Look it up. Compatriots was a coined term in soviet tactics to refer to Soviet sympathizers in other countries. They expected a certain level of compatriots in all countries. Similar to America referring to people as “allies”. 

It’s a word L3 uses that rubbed me the wrong way. Nothing more than that. 

Compatriots is also a word that's been used for centuries prior to the Soviet revolution. You're tilting against windmills with that.

1 minute ago, ScottieATF said:

I feel like people are making up the fuel shortage idea for no reason. Just seems like military grade fuel is an expensive commodity that is closely guarded by the Empire.

That and the low fuel in the Raddus from TLJ. Seems everyone else had no problem getting fuel lol

and you are correct about the word. I never said Disney is making us all soviets. That’s just what the word reminded me of and the reason I don’t like L3.

Edited by Mackaywarrior

Just now, ScottieATF said:

^THIS^, one of the biggest flaws in the movie. I guess they needed some ultra rare commodity and lightsaber crystals were not enough.

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

Also the galaxy has an energy crisis. What is with Disney and Out-of-Fuel plots?

I don't recall anyone in the movie saying anything like that?

Indeed, we know from Rebels, Clone Wars, and other books and material that Coaxium isn't the major fuel used in the galaxy - notably in Clone Wars, the Republic and Separatists were all flying on Rhydonium (it apparently became a plot point in one of the books around TFA's release that some of the ships that fought over Jakku were using Rhydonium fuel, causing contamination of Jakku).

Shittery, putting a drop of Coaxium in the Falcon's fusion reactor blew the thing straight out of the Maw's gravity well - OBVIOUSLY the Falcon was already running on something not-Coaxium.

No, Coaxium is just a super, super, very high-quality and high-density type of hyperfuel - rare, and thus valuable.  But that doesn't mean it's the only option, just the one with the highest value-to-volume ratio.

Just now, Marinealver said:

^THIS^, one of the biggest flaws in the movie. I guess they needed some ultra rare commodity and lightsaber crystals were not enough.

But why is that a flaw? I mean fuel is a thing. It's been referenced in Star Wars prior to this or TLJ. 

RHYDONIUM

Rhydonium is a fuel found on select worlds, notably Abafar. Highly combustible, it was used in large quantities as part of a Separatist plot during the Clone Wars that backfired on the droid army. Later, rebels Hera Syndulla and Sabine Wren used rhydonium barrels on the abandoned Fort Anaxes asteroid to kill attacking fyrnocks.

image_85964085.jpeg

But why is that a flaw? I mean fuel is a thing. It's been referenced in Star Wars prior to this or TLJ. 

I am starting to get the feeling that those who liked this movie are those that will say Star Wars can do no wrong.

Seriously this movie gave me slight Holiday Special vibes with the Wokkie Gurgilign, At least they subtitled a few of it and then had Han having to say what he said before. But again I don't remember Han having to serve as a translator for Chewie.

1 minute ago, Marinealver said:

It was what they first said at the start of the movie. With the fading exposition in place of the title crawl. 

Ummm...no.  No, it doesn't.

It is a lawless time. Crime Syndicates compete for resources - food, medicine, and hyperfuel.

That says nothing about there being a shortage of anything.  Just that those are some of the things the crime syndicates steal and trade for.

Just now, xanderf said:

Ummm...no.  No, it doesn't.

That says nothing about there being a shortage of anything.  Just that those are some of the things the crime syndicates steal and trade for.

Did you even see it? That is exactly what it said!

I guess I should start believing you over my own eyes.

(Granted I did start covering them but that wasn't until a third of the way in the movie.)

2VSo8.gif

Edited by Marinealver

Just now, Marinealver said:

I am starting to get the feeling that those who liked this movie are those that will say Star Wars can do no wrong.

Seriously this movie gave me slight Holiday Special vibes with the Wokkie Gurgilign, At least they subtitled a few of it and then had Han having to say what he said before. But again I don't remember Han having to serve as a translator for Chewie.

That's not explaining why it's a flaw.

I feel as if your issue is that you haven't followed much of the Star Wars media beyond the movies. Thus things like the Maw, which is an olddddddd EU concept, and fuel existing in Star Wars, referenced a ton of times at this point, aren't landing with you.

But I'm still confused as to how stealing rare fuel is a flaw for you in a movie about pulling a job for a crime syndicate.

That's not explaining why it's a flaw.

I feel as if your issue is that you haven't followed much of the Star Wars media beyond the movies. Thus things like the Maw, which is an olddddddd EU concept, and fuel existing in Star Wars, referenced a ton of times at this point, aren't landing with you.

But I'm still confused as to how stealing rare fuel is a flaw for you in a movie about pulling a job for a crime syndicate.

When was fuel a problem (besides TLJ).

187j54.jpg

Great Star Wars movie. Thanks Opie!

Almost everything was awesome, except for one bit.

Han Solo's biggest moment is and forever needs to be at the end of a New Hope. His cathartic moment.

Han needs to stay scummy until then. That includes during his whole time in Solo. Han should've tried to make off with the Coaxium and double-crossed Enfys Nest. It's 60 million credits! That's nothing to sneeze at. But, of course, Enfys Nest ends up outsmarting Han.

Edited by patox
Typo.

4 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

2VSo8.gif

He literally quoted the text from the pseudo crawler and you still insist that it said something different`?

"It is a lawless time. CRIME SYNDICATES compete for resources — food, medicine, and HYPERFUEL."
"A young man fights for survival but longs to fly among the stars."

Quite enjoyed it. Solid 7 from me. It had some good moments and some good humour. 

Saw nothing obnoxious in the droid. It’s just a character. I think anyone complaining that’s she’s a “SJW character being rammed down our throats” may just be protesting a bit too much.

It was great to see Chewie get to do things. Really liked the glimpses we saw of life under the Empire too. 

Thought Donald Glover nailed Lando. I totally bought him as a younger version of the guy we meet in Empire. And the lead grew on me as Solo. By the end you could see how this idealistic young man would become the  smuggler we see in ANH but that deep down he’s ready for more. 

I think the biggest take away is that there is so much scope in the SW universe for new stories and NEW characters set during the OT time period. 

This film deserves to do better than it is at the box office. I think those upset with TLJ are doing themselves a disservice by not seeing it. 

It was fun, entertaining and FELT  like Star Wars.