Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

9 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

With the fallout of TLJ? Or at least, the alleged fallout of TLJ, given SOLO's actually good performance right now.

Reminds me of the whole battlefront 2 controversy. It sold well even with the fallout but it didn’t sell well enough for a Star Wars game so EA took a stock hit.

and financially, TLJ was a success so why would the market think Solo would be any different?

Edited by Mackaywarrior

5 minutes ago, Mackaywarrior said:

Reminds me of the whole battlefront 2 controversy. It sold well even with the fallout but it didn’t sell well enough for a Star Wars game so EA took a stock hit.

and financially, TLJ was a success so why would the market think Solo would be any different?

*shrug*

All I know is that SOLO's **** good and overall doing pretty good. Forbes is just incorrect here.

19 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

*shrug*

All I know is that SOLO's **** good and overall doing pretty good. Forbes is just incorrect here.

Werd.

I have minor critiques but I really enjoyed it and would love to see more from these actors in the Star Wars universe

I don't know how people can like it. For me this movie did not shoot first.

The space kraken and the space whirlpool in the space caverns (yes that is exactly what they were, they went into some sort of space underground).

Also the galaxy has an energy crisis. What is with Disney and Out-of-Fuel plots?

Edited by Marinealver

14 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

I don't know how people can like it. For me this movie did not shoot first.

The space kraken and the space whirlpool in the space caverns (yes that is exactly what they were, they went into some sort of space underground.

Also the galaxy has an energy crisis. What is with Disney and Out-of-Fuel plots?

It was a fun Star Wars story. I doubt it will be a timeless classic but the space western side of things was fun. 

As far as the Kracken goes, we have space slugs and mynocks so I’ll let it pass. It’s a different threat the Maw posed than I used to think but it reminded me of the monsters of the sea in uncharted territory. So it is cool with me. 

And far as making fuel a real thing in the Star Wars universe and continuing to make it a plot point it’s whatever. Kinda lazy writing and makes the Star Wars universe feel small to me (isn’t there some other commodity worth stealing?) but fuel is important to them which makes logical sense.

L3 was laughably annoying. 

Everything else was just what I expected. A fun Space Western that involved a train heist and a duel at high noon (which was fantastic in my humble opinion).

Was Maul’s light saber ignition needed? Not to anyone on these forums or kids who watched rebels and the clone wars. However, to all the casuals I imagine they would have assumed it was just some alien that looked like him. Now they are left with thinking “wait. I thought Maul was dead!”. Then they go back into researching which makes money for Lucasfilm a so they can keep making movies.

everything is proceeding how they have foreseen.....

I just hope this film doesn’t divide fans like TLJ did. I get why some people felt it was meh and others thought it was good. 

Edited by Mackaywarrior

3 minutes ago, Mackaywarrior said:

It was a fun Star Wars story. I doubt it will be a timeless classic but the space western side of things was fun. 

As far as the Kracken goes, we have space slugs and mynocks so I’ll let it pass. It’s a different threat the Maw posed than I used to think but it reminded me of the monsters of the sea in uncharted territory. So it is cool with me. 

And far as making fuel a real thing in the Star Wars universe and continuing to make it a plot point it’s whatever. Kinda lazy writing and makes the Star Wars universe feel small to me (isn’t there some other commodity worth stealing?) but fuel is important to them which makes logical sense.

L3 was laughably annoying. 

Everything else was just what I expected. A fun Space Western that involved a train heist and a duel at high noon (which was fantastic in my humble opinion).

Was Maul’s light saber ignition needed? Not to anyone on these forums or kids who watched rebels and the clone wars. However, to all the casuals I imagine they would have assumed it was just some alien that looked like him. Now they are left with thinking “wait. I thought Maul was dead!”. Then they go back into researching which makes money for Lucasfilm a so they can keep making movies.

everything is proceeding how they have foreseen.....

yeah, I get they were trying to recreate the asteroid scene, but again I ask "why not the asteroid field". Some strange cloud with tunnels and such again put outer space into some claustrophobic area where it did not need to be. But yeah I know space slugs and mynocks are something but that was in an asteroid. This wasn't even a nebula it was some sort of weird space cloud cavern.

L3 yeah annoying, but politics... again?

The Train heist was pretty good. That was the one good scene in the movie. "It made up for the fact they made Solo am Imperial Army "grunt". Seriously he was a pilot but they made him less than a Stormtrooper. Think about that, Han Solo < Stormtrooper?

And no duh Maul is popular so Disney brought him back. I wouldn't be surprised if he make an appearance in the new Resistance tv series.

Yeah I know they are going to keep making movies but this is one is the one that is going to put me into the "one movie I don't like" crowd. 

14 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

yeah, I get they were trying to recreate the asteroid scene, but again I ask "why not the asteroid field". Some strange cloud with tunnels and such again put outer space into some claustrophobic area where it did not need to be. But yeah I know space slugs and mynocks are something but that was in an asteroid. This wasn't even a nebula it was some sort of weird space cloud cavern.

L3 yeah annoying, but politics... again?

The Train heist was pretty good. That was the one good scene in the movie. "It made up for the fact they made Solo am Imperial Army "grunt". Seriously he was a pilot but they made him less than a Stormtrooper. Think about that, Han Solo < Stormtrooper?

And no duh Maul is popular so Disney brought him back. I wouldn't be surprised if he make an appearance in the new Resistance tv series.

Yeah I know they are going to keep making movies but this is one is the one that is going to put me into the "one movie I don't like" crowd. 

Solo being infantry in that battle was odd but not totally out of place. He was telling the imperial officer that he was trained in aerial combat and even he was confused why he was in the mud. 

I bet some comic will answer it and the answer will be he was looked down on for not being of SOME family on Correlia or because he had a bad attitude. 

I think this was a different Star Wars movie all together. It seems more accurate to say that if you liked firefly you’ll probably like this movie.

Edited by Mackaywarrior

6 minutes ago, Mackaywarrior said:

Solo being infantry in that battle was odd but not totally out of place. He was telling the imperial officer that he was trained in aerial combat and even he was confused why he was in the mud. 

I bet some comic will answer it and the answer will be he was looked down on for not being of SOME family on Correlia or because he had a bad attitude. 

I think this was a different Star Wars movie all together. It seems more accurate to say that if you liked firefly you’ll probably like this movie.

I liked Firefly but no, this movie was not firefly. The train heist might be better in firefly setting but the "background" energy crisis was not. I mean we know Han Solo was dropped from Imperial Service but he made it to pilot and not grunt. I know Disney is going to throw away old cannon so forget what you know but even then this does not fit with the rest of the story. Heck Rogue One fits better as a Star Wars story and that was a very rough fit. The story looked like more of a checklist, Han joins Imperial Academy, Han meets Chewie, Han gets Blaster, Han kisses girl, Han meets Lando, Han wins Falcon from Lando. The story checked all the blocks, but it was a very sloppy way.

Edited by Marinealver

I really can’t figure out what people’s objection to L3 is. Droid slavery has been a topic of Star Wars lore since the first movie. I found it a nice touch that they actually made it a significant element of the story. Walking out of the theater I and the person I was with both agreed that the one thing the new Star Wars seems to be getting right consistently is really cool droid characters. 

9 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

I really can’t figure out what people’s objection to L3 is. Droid slavery has been a topic of Star Wars lore since the first movie. I found it a nice touch that they actually made it a significant element of the story. Walking out of the theater I and the person I was with both agreed that the one thing the new Star Wars seems to be getting right consistently is really cool droid characters. 

Honestly, it’s because of one line during the revolt scene. She calls her fellow droids “compatriots” which gave it a VERY strong yet subtle soviet undertone.

I wanted more Harriet Tubman and less Lenin.

I know it was subtle and an easily vague throw away line but it’s big to me. Not enough to stop enjoying the movie but enough for me to be annoyed by her character.

Edited by Mackaywarrior

9 minutes ago, Mackaywarrior said:

Honestly, it’s because of one line during the revolt scene. She calls her fellow droids “compatriots” which gave it a VERY strong yet subtle soviet undertone.

I know it was subtle and an easily vague throw away line but it’s big to me. Not enough to stop enjoying the movie but enough for me to be annoyed by her character.

Yeah, I feel like the only reason people don't have a bigger problem with L3 is because she gets shot.

9 minutes ago, Mackaywarrior said:

Big to you how? It's not like she called them "comrade". I think you're confusing those two words honestly.

Well, it's not like she called them comrades. And it's nice that it blends the exploitation of droids (if there can be such a thing) as a topic comparable both to the exploitation of the proletariat, and racial inequality.

And Han did make it as a pilot, he just get demoted for something or other. He mentioned it in the film but I forget exactly what he said.

Also, was there actually a fuel crisis going on? I kinda missed that. I just figured the fuel was expensive and hard to come by. The real question is what did Maul want with enough refined coaxium to power an entire fleet?

5 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

Technically you are correct, but what most people mean when they say EU is Auxiliary content. And that still exists, and will exist, and its only a matter of time before the actual levels of canonicity come back 

Not even technical he is correct, because expanded universe is a term used officials to describe ... well expanded universe content. It's all canon mind you, but they literally call it expanded universe from time to time. It's just not legends, but canon. 

Like I said, subtle but strong. If you have studied the soviets from the mindset of “how do you beat your enemy” like I have you would have had an issue with “compatriots”.

besides, if you could pick any subtle synonym for “comrade” that would still be true to the roots, you would pick compatriots.

thats all I will say about the matter. It’s my opinion and I loved solo. I’m not going to perpetuate an easily topic-locking conversation. Lol

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

You know he's dead now right?  Obi-Wan killed him for good in Rebels, and lest anyone have any doubts about that death, there's a excerpt from a book that mentions him burying Maul as well.

4 hours ago, Incard said:

Whereas my thoughts were "Real Estate? Finance? Consumer Electronics? Energy?"

Limitless real estate avaible in a galaxy which is barely populated. 
Finance is in control of the empire and used to be in the hand of the banking clan. 
Consumer Electronics? Ok. I give you that. In some way, if not with the problem that consumer electronics are even cheaper than energy. Remember, star wars manufacturing builds whole droid armies within hours ... if even. 
Energy? Basically limitless energy sources avaible, energy is dirt cheap. Food is actually expensive, that one would be a good one to get rich from. 

The star wars galaxy is in many ways an odd place. 

Just now, markcsoul said:

You know he's dead now right?  Obi-Wan killed him for good in Rebels, and lest anyone have any doubts about that death, there's a excerpt from a book that mentions him burying Maul as well.

Disney will beg to differ.

3 minutes ago, markcsoul said:

That's a good 10 years from Solo. 

If they bring him back in the Boba Fett movie, we will probably see his fall from grace, probably through some scummy backstabbery, and he ends up on Malachor. 

Interesting tidbit, he has his Inquisitor lightsaber already at this point. So the Inquisitorius is up and running BBY 10. 

1 minute ago, SEApocalypse said:

Limitless real estate avaible in a galaxy which is barely populated. 
Finance is in control of the empire and used to be in the hand of the banking clan. 
Consumer Electronics? Ok. I give you that. In some way, if not with the problem that consumer electronics are even cheaper than energy. Remember, star wars manufacturing builds whole droid armies within hours ... if even. 
Energy? Basically limitless energy sources avaible, energy is dirt cheap. Food is actually expensive, that one would be a good one to get rich from. 

The star wars galaxy is in many ways an odd place. 

I hear there is some cloud city out there that just has painted skies. Very odd indeed.

pass the blue milk lol

2 minutes ago, Commander Kaine said:

That's a good 10 years from Solo. 

If they bring him back in the Boba Fett movie, we will probably see his fall from grace, probably through some scummy backstabbery, and he ends up on Malachor. 

Interesting tidbit, he has his Inquisitor lightsaber already at this point. So the Inquisitorius is up and running BBY 10. 

I was responding to him being in the resistance series, as there's no possible way for that to happen.  I totally expect him to show up again in other movies/etcs set between ep3 and rebels.

10 minutes ago, Mackaywarrior said:

Like I said, subtle but strong. If you have studied the soviets from the mindset of “how do you beat your enemy” like I have you would have had an issue with “compatriots”.

besides, if you could pick any subtle synonym for “comrade” that would still be true to the roots, you would pick compatriots.

thats all I will say about the matter. It’s my opinion and I loved solo. I’m not going to perpetuate an easily topic-locking conversation. Lol

I'm just quoting this for the absurdity of it.