Forresto

Solo: A Star Wars Story [SPOILER THREAD]

SPOILER-THREAD

If you haven't seen the film, enter at your own risk.

~

Solo premieres tonight in the States.

Please keep the discussion respectful and civil. You can love the film you can hate the film, but don't attack eachother for opinions. 

Well I talked to a friend and when he look at last night's midnight screening it was only on 3 screens and none were over a third full.

Compared to avengers and deadpool which had all 8 screens sold out on their midnight showing I think it shows how little people care about soy.

Just finished it. Very fun movie. A bit slow in the middle, some scenes are a bit strange, but it's not major and the ending makes up for everything.

The script isn't insulting the viewer, there is a lot of humour, but the movie knows when it's not a time for jokes, and overall it is much more serious than I expected. Doesn't screw with the lore. Characters are likeable, don't behave like idiots to create artificial conflict. The film gives justice to both Han and Lando, Becker is fantastic, Qira is really interesting, particularly near the end (and she looks just unbelievably pretty). There  are even some infamous "subversions of expectations", but they are handled well. Nice change after the last... experience.

I'm glad those anthology movies give me something to look forward in the grim darkness of the not far ep IX and the Johnson trilogy future.

Real spoiler talk!!!!!!!!

****, what year is it? I assume this is not a retcon and the movie takes place before Rebels, and Maul is again at the helm of the Shadow Collective?

I'm very glad they let Qira live, the "she is not in the original trilogy so she has to die" crowd had me worried. And it turns out her story has just began... and it involves Maul! DISNEY, PLEASE DON'T CONTINUE IT IN SONE MEDICORE NOVELS OR ON DISNEY XD, THIS IS YOUR MATERIAL FOR A MOVIE AND/OR TV SHOW! 

Also, Maul. Take this prequel haters.

Ah, and the movie has a noticeable deficit of X-Wing content. Nothing more than the trailers showed.

Edited by eMeM
typos

4 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Well I talked to a friend and when he look at last night's midnight screening it was only on 3 screens and none were over a third full.

Compared to avengers and deadpool which had all 8 screens sold out on their midnight showing I think it shows how little people care about soy.

It's way way way way lower at the box office.  It could be on for half the size of Rogue One.

Movie itself is fine.  Super-vanilla but given that you're all set for a car crash after what we heard it definitely isn't that.  I'm not sure there's much in it that's especially memorable, but it doesn't do much to upset you either.

2 hours ago, SOTL said:

It's way way way way lower at the box office.  It could be on for half the size of Rogue One.

Movie itself is fine.  Super-vanilla but given that you're all set for a car crash after what we heard it definitely isn't that.  I'm not sure there's much in it that's especially memorable, but it doesn't do much to upset you either.

It's failed in China only made 0.12m compared to tlj which made 3.5m in the same timeframe.

With reshoots it cost over $250 to make more than tlj, factoring in advertising there's a real possibility this will lose money and even I wasn't that pesimistic

5 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

It's failed in China only made 0.12m compared to tlj which made 3.5m in the same timeframe.

With reshoots it cost over $250 to make more than tlj, factoring in advertising there's a real possibility this will lose money and even I wasn't that pesimistic

I think it's sure to lose money, and Disney know it.  They've not wasted much money marketing it, that's throwing good money after bad, just let it die and learn the lessons for next time.

3 minutes ago, SOTL said:

I think it's sure to lose money, and Disney know it.  They've not wasted much money marketing it, that's throwing good money after bad, just let it die and learn the lessons for next time.

They had a super bowl add that alone is a couple of million, trust me they've spent plenty on tv spots.

My biggest gripe is that Enfys Nest turned out to be a Rebel.   Not surprising, but just having scum on scum rivalry would have been my preference.   Still, Han shot first.   

Lando’s shirt at the end..  that was great.   The humour was subtle enough and fit the films, it was a generic film, I would rate it a 7/10.  Repeat viewings won't add much more, but all the subtle EU references are wonderful.  Tëras Kasi, Glee Anselm, heck, the big Correllian (made) ships that Han technically outran.

The maw, no longer a black whole but a gravity well.  The Pyke syndicate.  

Lots of things explained in universe that are referenced in other films.   This is a fun lighthearted romp, and that isn't bad.  

Now... what if the live action Series is about Qi’ra and the fall of Maul’s Red Sun and how he ends up stranded on the sith world?   Game of Thrones will be ending soon, so it is a possibility.

Also, Tobias killed Aurra Sing.. and they didn't hire Bossk.   Subtle but fun.

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

My biggest gripe is that Enfys Nest turned out to be a Rebel.   Not surprising, but just having scum on scum rivalry would have been my preference.   Still, Han shot first.  

To be fair she's as much a rebel as much as Cham Sydulla is for his Free Ryloth movement, Saw and his partisans or the native's of Mimban fighting against Imperial occupation. At this point they're all separate and have no affiliation to each other. The notion of a united Rebel Alliance hasn't spread amongst the peoples of the galaxy yet but I get that Enfyst Nest is suppose to represent that idea.

Anyway, Maul man! When I first heard rumors that he is in this I thought it was a really out of place inclusion, but having just recalled what he did in Clone Wars where he successfully set up his own criminal empire, it made much more sense. Now I'm excited at the prospect of further exploring the crime syndicate wars in future SW flicks.

Also this has the obligatory lightsaber scene. Haha.....just when I thought I would actually not ever see a lightsaber ignited in a SW movie, the story throws one at me.

Edited by Wraithdt