Forresto

Solo Discussion Thread [SPOILERS!]

3 minutes ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

I'm still bummed Disney didn't ask me to pick the best date to release the movie.  At this rate, I'll be waiting until it comes out on video.  I must be crazy, but as soon as it hits summer, I just can't find a couple of free hours to see movies.  I was so blazé about the past 3 Star Wars offerings that I didn't feel the need to block out time to see this movie.

The question I have: is this O.K. for kids?  Like, a 5 year old?

Depends on the 5 year old. At that age sometimes the most simple thing can trigger them. 

If they gave seen any SW or Marvel film before without an adverse reaction then Solo *should* be fine.

In then end its your call.

6 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

Depends on the 5 year old. At that age sometimes the most simple thing can trigger them. 

If they gave seen any SW or Marvel film before without an adverse reaction then Solo *should* be fine.

In then end its your call.

The better question is: is the violence as over the top as it was in the Last Jedi.  I watched that one and when Snoke sloughs his upper body onto the floor, my wife looked at me and said, "Probably not going to see this one for awhile."  Essentially, I want Star Wars to be as tame as Episode IV.

My one chance to see Solo is the end of the week when my wife is out of town, but I can't pre-view it before I would take him.

12 minutes ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

The better question is: is the violence as over the top as it was in the Last Jedi.  I watched that one and when Snoke sloughs his upper body onto the floor, my wife looked at me and said, "Probably not going to see this one for awhile."  Essentially, I want Star Wars to be as tame as Episode IV.

My one chance to see Solo is the end of the week when my wife is out of town, but I can't pre-view it before I would take him.

I mean I thought Snoke slipping in half was pretty tame compared to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's corpses smoldering and singed on the homestead but that's just me or Obi Wan burning the Jawa corpses. Those scenes freaked me out my whole childhood.

That being said I'm going for round 3 with Solo, and i'll keep an eye out for you. 

I can't recall anything too graphic, definitely not like the Last Jedi. It is more like ANH in that regard.

Usually the worst is a cauterized wound from a blaster bolt. Someone gets stabbed but I don't think we see where exactly and its your typical bloodless hollywood stab if I remember right.

Oh an officer gets hit with a mortar shell but there isnt viscera or blood just an explosion. To me thats no worse then say Porkins crashing or any other explosive X Wing death when we see the cockpit on fire.

Edited by Forresto

9 minutes ago, Forresto said:

I mean I thought Snoke slipping in half was pretty tame compared to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's corpses smoldering and singed on the homestead but that's just me or Obi Wan burning the Jawa corpses. Those scenes freaked me out my whole childhood.

That being said I'm going for round 3 with Solo, and i'll keep an eye out for you. 

I can't recall anything too graphic, definitely not like the Last Jedi. It is more like ANH in that regard.

Usually the worst is a cauterized wound from a blaster bolt. Someone gets stabbed but I don't think we see where exactly and its your typical bloodless hollywood stab if I remember right.

Oh an officer gets hit with a mortar shell but there isnt viscera or blood just an explosion. To me thats no worse then say Porkins crashing or any other explosive X Wing death when we see the cockpit on fire.

The big thing I've found is that kids don't usually catch on to things like a smoldering skeleton in a 5 second shot as much as they do when a guy gets sliced in half.  I think he once asked if one of the pilots died when the X-Wing blew up, but that's about it.  I think the big difference is that most of the on-screen violence in the old movies was people falling down or cutaway shots when there was active violence on screen.

I generally make the rule that if I wouldn't have seen it as a kid (early 90's), I should probably not let him see it.  Though I literally grew up watching public access TV like Buck Rogers and stuff so I have high standards.  Ha ha.

27 minutes ago, Forresto said:

Oh an officer gets hit with a mortar shell but there isnt viscera or blood just an explosion.

Not a direct hit, probably killed by either the shrapnel or the concussive blast.

Eitherway, there would normally be at least some blood.

Edited by Indy_com

14 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

Standard "chaotic neutral" wanna be viewpoint(he's really chaotic good), next to no character growth, misogynistic and so on. 

I say good sirs that calling Han Solo Misogynistic is complete bunkery of the highest order. He treats everyone with the same disregard as that is part of his character. 

Projecting undesirable motives on a fictional character is uncouth and dishonest. 

Edited by Ewok on Stilts

3 hours ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

ANH had a bloodied arm on the floor of the cantina thanks to Obi Wan (why does eveyone forget this?)

There's a few shots fired, a bit of blood here and there, Chewie ripping a couple of arms off (similar to the ANH graphical violence above). I can't remember anything too bad but if you think Snoke or Maul getting chopped in half is bad, then you better check Solo out yourself first (and have an excuse to see it a second time).

I find its not the blood or violence that upset kids, but rather shocking moments. My nephew was 5ish when he saw the original Jurassic Park. No problems apart from one scene - when the Dilophosaurus suddenly turns from cute to nasty when attacking Nedry. Had nightmares about it. Was fine with T-Rex attack, Raptors, disembodied arm etc. Young kids get triggered by shock more than expected violence in my experience, but I'm no child phsychologist.

Edited by Gallanteer

29 minutes ago, Ewok on Stilts said:

I say good sirs that calling Han Solo Misogynistic is complete bunkery of the highest order. He treats everyone with the same disregard as that is part of his character. 

Projecting undesirable motives on a fictional character is uncouth and dishonest. 

Yeah, I’m questioning that one too...

16 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

ANH had a bloodied arm on the floor of the cantina thanks to Obi Wan (why does eveyone forget this?)

Yeah, it's one of those cutaway shots that never registered until I was much older.  It's not a bad shot.  ****, even the Phantom Menace cut in half isn't bad, but maybe that's because it's completely unrealistic.  It reminds me of those soft plastic toys I had as a kid that you'd throw on the wall and it tumbles down.  I've seen enough stuff now that if something makes me squirm, I think it's gone beyond the "movie magic" and isn't probably a kids movie.

It'll probably have to be something I wait to see on video unfortunately.  Bummer.  Last thing I need is a kid all freaked out all weekend.

4 hours ago, duck_bird said:

Laser mortar.

technically a plasma mortar then in star wars.

anyways the major got vaporized, if there was blood it got too mixed in with the mud to notice.

11 hours ago, Geressen said:

technically a plasma mortar then in star wars.

anyways the major got vaporized, if there was blood it got too mixed in with the mud to notice.

Arent lasers still lasers in star wars and BLASTERS are plasma weapons?

1 hour ago, Geressen said:

they keep calling plasma swords laser swords so I do not think they care.

They are called Light swords, not laser swords (although sometimes referred to as such).

And Lasercannons and Turbolasers are still lasers, not Blaster or plasma weapons.

15 minutes ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

Never took him to see it.  Now it did come out in 2016 so he was 3 at the time.  He hasn't really asked to see it recently so I never made the attempt to show it to him.

Ah okay.

So having seen it a third time with my work eyes on, I work at an aftercare center, the film is no more violent then Rogue One, or any other Star Wars film with the following exceptions. [Ive kept spoilers fairly minimal.]

-There is a shot with disembodied arms though there's no blood and it's as fleeting as ANH.

-A major get vaporized in a mortar blast though it's just an explosion and I would argue no different then any other explosive SW death.

-Someone gets stabbed on screen but it's very quick.

-The other stab I mentioned prior isn't actually shown just suggested in a very believable way.

-The only scene I think would potentially freak a kid out is a monster with lots of teeth and tentacles. The scarier part is short enough (5-10 seconds) to cover his eyes through, the rest of the shots are zoomed out so not as scary. You would know when the scene starts.

I first saw Phantom Menace when I was 5 oddly enough and this scene in Solo reminded me a lot of the underwater monster sequence.

~

I might be forgetting something and if anyone else noticed anything stand out please add om but that was the only stuff that stood out to me.

Now I wouldn't hesitate to take a five year old to go see it, in part because I remember seeing Phantom Menace when I was 5. Its one of the happiest memories I have. Not just the film but the entire day surrounding it.

Solo I think is far tamer then Rogue One and honestly I dont think I can say its that much grittier then A New Hope. Just remember it's a PG-13 Star Wars Movie directed by Ron Howard and produced by Disney, they're only going to ever go so far with anything explicit and it never gets worse then the examples I gave above. 

You're the parent though, you know your kid, I'm a stranger on the internet.

7 hours ago, DScipio said:

They are called Light swords, not laser swords (although sometimes referred to as such).

I am talking of course about them referring to the swords as laser swords.

not the general lightsaber being lasersaber, I'm not crazy, I'm sure I got the paperwork to prove it somewhere.

Edited by Geressen

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, Gallanteer said:

I find its not the blood or violence that upset kids, but rather shocking moments. My nephew was 5ish when he saw the original Jurassic Park. No problems apart from one scene - when the Dilophosaurus suddenly turns from cute to nasty when attacking Nedry. Had nightmares about it. Was fine with T-Rex attack, Raptors, disembodied arm etc. Young kids get triggered by shock more than expected violence in my experience, but I'm no child phsychologist.

Sort of to that point, I don't think it's the particular moments of violence in it that would be especially unsettling so much as a few scenes being relentlessly grim.

I'd say younger Han and Qi'Ra trying to escape the underworld gangs, and how it ends, is not a great scene...and it drags out the tension in that quite a bit.

The other extended scene that comes to mind is the slave mines on Kessel.  Again, not anything especially violent is seen, it's just...relentlessly grim for a long stretch.

Honestly, the battle scene on Mimban probably checks out, too.  As with the others, you really don't see anything - but it's the middle of a major battle from a ground soldiers perspective, so not nearly as "clean" as the Clone attack in Episode II.  Vastly more chaotic, more explosions that feel more actually-dangerous, lots of screaming and running and confusion.

7 hours ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

Never took him to see it.  Now it did come out in 2016 so he was 3 at the time.  He hasn't really asked to see it recently so I never made the attempt to show it to him.

One thing that is different that you may want to consider is that Chewbacca is a lot more dangerous and violent in this film than in the others I can recall.  This has more to do with the subject matter of the film with Han being an actual criminal.  There's also a lot of violence, though it isn't very graphic.

The other thing is that the film is a lot more intense in the way it presents the violence and danger.  Mimban is an actual warzone reminiscent of WW2 films with explosions, weapons fire, and dying soldiers everywhere (though certainly not as horrifically violent as that genre can sometimes be).  When we first meet Chewbacca, he is a terrifying monster instead of the lovable friend he is in the other films.  The Empire actively detains and assaults potential dissidents in an extremely disturbing way, including forcibly separating parents and children.  There's a big monster later in the movie, and it could be very scary to young children.

Every kid is different, but I can say that this film is probably more along the lines of Rogue One than A New Hope.  If you don't want your kid watching that, then you may want to hold off on Solo for a little while.  You can always watch it together when it comes to video and turn it off if it's too intense for him.

Seeing Darth Maul in this film was pretty sinful unfortunately, Disney had been doing so well to avoid all references to the sub-par prequels (besides the cartoon series of course) that seeing him there was so jarring. Since his arc is basically done by either being dead in E1, or if you follow the cartoons also dead in rebels, it would have made a lot more sense to me to have that being Snoke (perhaps a less molested version) then we have a hint into his backstory and an origin for why he exists in the disney sequels.