Forresto

Solo Discussion Thread [SPOILERS!]

57 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I will add only that the OT had the advantage that we judge it on what is, not what we wanted it to be. 

This is really well said too.

I watched TPM last night and I think I'm finally getting to the point where I can judge it for what it is, not what I wanted it to be in 1999. It allowed me to see some positives in the film.

2 hours ago, Captain Warden said:

This is really well said too.

I watched TPM last night and I think I'm finally getting to the point where I can judge it for what it is, not what I wanted it to be in 1999. It allowed me to see some positives in the film.

TPM benefits a LOT from re-watching it, decades later, disconnected from initial expectations.

I mean...Jar-Jar is still pretty annoying.  And the Gungans do remain awful, overall, although not NEAR as bad (and here is where retrospect plays its biggest card) as the Ewoks.  Droids are inherently inferior to Storm Troopers (citation: the entire Clone Wars), and the Gungans obviously similar to Ewoks while far more advanced (they had energy weapons AND regional- and man-portable shields).  So the battle result, here, makes sense - while Endor remains some kind of confusing and sick joke.

IN RETROSPECT...it really is the least-bad of the prequels.  Safest, no doubt, and with the weakest overall plot development, of course...but it does stand on its own very well.

Finally saw solo, had low expectations going in but really enjoyed it. This movie  had a fun heist film theme which I enjoyed.

My favorite bit was the pitched battle at the 3 years later jump. Getting a glimpse of the empire at ground zero in a raging war zone was awesome.

I enjoyed all the characters, and while some of the jokes didn’t always land, they at least didn’t make me wince like last Jedi jokes did.

The robot rebellion instigated by L3 almost got silly but really enjoyed it still.

Didnt really need the giant space Cthulhu but it didn’t wreck it. All around I’d put it above prequels and new trilogy, but not rogue one or OT.

3 minutes ago, xanderf said:

TPM benefits a LOT from re-watching it, decades later, disconnected from initial expectations.

I mean...Jar-Jar is still pretty annoying.  And the Gungans do remain awful, overall, although not NEAR as bad (and here is where retrospect plays its biggest card) as the Ewoks.  Droids are inherently inferior to Storm Troopers (citation: the entire Clone Wars), and the Gungans obviously similar to Ewoks while far more advanced (they had energy weapons AND regional- and man-portable shields).  So the battle result, here, makes sense - while Endor remains some kind of confusing and sick joke.

IN RETROSPECT...it really is the least-bad of the prequels.  Safest, no doubt, and with the weakest overall plot development, of course...but it does stand on its own very well.

Very true. I also admire Lucas's worldbuilding abilities. Tatooine (especially Mos Espa and the podracing), Coruscant, and Naboo feel like living, breathing worlds. The only planet in the sequel trilogy that matches that level of detail is Ahch-To, and that's only because half of the movie is set on that island.

On 5/27/2018 at 6:04 AM, xanderf said:

Wife and I commented on that on the way home - the adventures of Lando and L3 he was narrating out, there?  Yeah, now that's a movie I'd want to see.  Although, almost...honestly, it'd be a pretty entertaining TV series, too.  (He apparently makes and loses fortunes a number of times - wins a moon, which turns out to be a money pit, runs into Aurra Sing, etc)

If you actually want to see more of those stories, you could just read the Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy that came out in the 80s; all of Lando's stories and recordings were references to those books. 

Technically non-canon now, but I feel like the dialogue in Solo has come as outright close to re-canonising whole Legends books as we're ever going to see.

They're not bad reads either, if a bit... trippy. They really play up to weirder side of Star Wars and lean pretty heavily into the fantasy side of it. 

I enjoyed the movie.  Wasn't great, wasn't bad.  I had fun watching it.  Some cool moments, some silly moments.

Now I really want a straight up war movie set during whatever conflict Han fought in in WW1 style stormtrooper land.  That'd be rad.

And give me a Top Gun remake with TIE pilots while we're at it.

51 minutes ago, duck_bird said:

Now I really want a straight up war movie set during whatever conflict Han fought in in WW1 style stormtrooper land.  That'd be rad.

And give me a Top Gun remake with TIE pilots while we're at it.

They are straight up war movies (well the combat bits in recent movies are just WW2 Naval Pacific fleet combat)!  But yes, a gritty Star Wars war movie would be epic... Saving Stormtrooper Ryan maybe, or Black Squadron Down, All Quiet on the Mimban Front, Alderaan Now Redux maybe?

10 minutes ago, Eggzavier said:

Rogue 1 was the Star Wars War movie that I needed, but I would love another strictly from the imperial perspective.

The plot basically writes itself.

Oh man I'd love it.  Give them such a chance to change up the conventions!  Reverse things a little bit!

Open up with a rebel raid on a supply convoy.  X-wings with faceless pilots blowing up transports and freighters.  Utter chaos and violence.  Little boy loses his parents and decides he's going to join the Empire...  

Skip a few years later:  "A day in the stormtroopers is like a day on the farm!"

Maarek Steele and Fel playing shirtless volleyball on the deck of a star destroyer.

Oh man Disney hire me I have so many ideas.

I loved it.

I always want the new movies to make the other movies better, and I feel like this one did (Something TLJ did not at all, and I think it actually made TFA worse).  So many fun references, connections and easter eggs.  I didn't even notice it, but my wife pointed out to me when Lando says, "I hate you", Han says "I know".  That's pretty clever.  And the line "I have a really good feeling about this."  That's a way to respect the old movies, and yet still put something new into it.

I really enjoyed Ehrenreich and Glover as actors.  And I loved how Han tries to be the bad boy, but he will always have a heart of gold (though he is willing to shoot first, he will still give his winnings to the rebellion.).

I seriously don't understand the negativity around Solo.

It was great. Not perfect, but great. Not the best story but the character portrayals were spot on. L3 did nothing for me but her brain in the Falcon does explain why the old girl can be a bit temporamental at times.

Ok, the box office isn't the best, but it'll still go on to make a tidy profit.

Should we see more tales if younger Han? Maybe. As an origin movie, it was way better than X-Men Origins Wolverine, Thor and Cap America in my opinion. Solo also felt more SW than any of the prequels and TLJ (although its grown on me).

3 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

I seriously don't understand the negativity around Solo.

It was great. Not perfect, but great. Not the best story but the character portrayals were spot on. L3 did nothing for me but her brain in the Falcon does explain why the old girl can be a bit temporamental at times.

I think Solo suffers from a wrong place, wrong time scenario.  Everything I've heard about it makes me think this will be a really neat movie to see.  Problem is that there's a good number of people who are so angry with Lucasfilm that they're willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater.  Not that I blame them.  From the stuff I've been reading, it sounds like the producers are more interested in being jerks to fans.

Unfortunately, summer is the worst time for me to see movies.  Once it hits mid-May, I'm busy until November.  I think summer blockbusters are on their way out the door.

On 5/25/2018 at 5:28 PM, MandalorianMoose said:

Also I loved that Han basically funded the Rebellion

Was that the Rebellion, or part of Saw Gerrera's band?

I thought I saw Benthic (from Rogue One) among the swoop gangers (Cloud Riders), but Wookieepedia is now telling me that was some other Tognath.

On 5/26/2018 at 2:15 PM, Captain_Nemo said:

I loved the settings, especially mimban and correllia. I also liked Alden and Donald as Han and Lando respectively, of course it wasn't the OThan but a more .... optimistic and maybe - in a way - naive(?) version of Han.

Optimistic and naive,... or do you mean 'young'? - which is exactly how he should be at this stage.

14 hours ago, Captain Warden said:

Very true. I also admire Lucas's worldbuilding abilities. Tatooine (especially Mos Espa and the podracing), Coruscant, and Naboo feel like living, breathing worlds. The only planet in the sequel trilogy that matches that level of detail is Ahch-To, and that's only because half of the movie is set on that island.

And that island has the benefit of not just being some prop, but a real early-medieval gaelic monastery.

Anyway, for my part, I really enjoyed the movie (this last Sunday), while my expectations were pretty low for it. At least, they were until my local gaming crew started blowing up the Facebook groups talking about how awesome it was. I agree with them, the movie was a blast, and I'm so glad that I'm not jaded like so many folks here, whose combs are much too fine-toothed (or, perhaps, my movie criticism is just too unrefined).

I was also won over by Ehrenreich, whom I really had a hard time picturing as Han/Harrison. I do think that 70s/80s Harrison Ford really embodied Han Solo because - well, he's the OG for the character. I don't think he captured Han as well in TFA, though I still enjoyed the performance. (That bit with the bowcaster just seemed bizarre - but, anyway, this is about Solo, not TFA, and there's no point going on about that here. More than I've already done. Okay, I'll stop now.) It may also be that I (we?) had unrealistic expectations of how well that could be done - but, then, I think Donnie Glover was Lando almost, if not more, than Billie Dee Williams was Lando. I suppose we need to think about how over-the-top Lando really should be? (And let's not forget Lando from the Lego Movie: "Hold on Han, this might be the right galaxy after all, because I see a heavenly body.")

Now, I agree that the liquid Schwartz was cheesy.

I thought L3 was hilarious - but, yeah, over the top. Were I as much of a Star Wars purist curmudgeon as I was when TPM came out, I might have sulked about that as much as I did Jar Jar. Well, maybe not as much, but possibly. Thankfully I've mostly aged out of being a Star Wars purist curmudgeon.

I really enjoyed the train heist - because it's supposed to be a train heist. If you think it's a Firefly rip off, I'd introduce you to the word "hommage" (pronounce in French).

On 5/27/2018 at 8:06 PM, CommanderBurnham said:

. I think it's lazy writing and excuses and furthers the illusion of the universality of one of the biggest deficits of our culture.

Are you aware of the tulip wars in Holland? Yes this was a thing. 

I know I'm in the minority in the fact that I enjoyed The Last Jedi, but I think it's disadvantaged by the fact that it is the middle act of a trilogy for which we haven't yet seen the closing act. I'm hoping that Ep9 will retroactively make TLJ better, because audiences will see the consequences of the plots.

Having said that, I can't possibly defend a lot of that film... Canto Bight, the cruiser chase, etc. Some real wasted opportunities there.

Solo was much better - a fun, swashbuckling Western.

12 hours ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

I was also won over by Ehrenreich, whom I really had a hard time picturing as Han/Harrison.

Same. 

I'm glad that he didn't try to play Harrison Han, but he really won me over as young Han.

Also, did the other Solo thread finally get purged like the cancer that it was?

I went in with uncertain expectations. 

It was good. It was Star Wars-y. I didn’t like Lando as much as people seem to.

L3 actually felt very appropriate. Of course there is a droid rights activist droid in the Star Wars universe. The odds that there wouldn’t be are abysmal. There probably aren’t a lot and they stand out. The friendship/companionship/??? relationship between Lando and L3 makes sense too. Lando is a guy who thrives on experiences and the unique (given Glover’s portrayal). So yeah, someone/thing like L3 would attract him.

I did like that the Empire was an oppressive presence, but not the antagonist. It focused on the much more immediate issue living in Star Wars - not getting shot or stabbed. It also shows how hard it would be to actually govern a space empire with response times. 

Edited by Church14

went this morning, with low expectations, but it's a ok movie,

the kessel run still is the worst thing done to Star Wars since the gungam. I mean, the only hyperfuel mine free of Imperials, with not even a simple goon tracking incoming vessels and no defences against the simplest of hold-up scheme seen this way of the galaxy? and an ISD coming through a hyperdense gas nebulae to quiet a rebellion that broke out a handful of minutes before? On a non-Imperial (but crimelord-held world taht will have credits enough to have Moffs look the other way to anything happening there? I know ISD are Iconic, but a corvette or even light cruiser would have been better suited to a recon/enforcement mission.... But EU said Solo did his run to evade ISDs, so there it is, sacrificing a 2km long vessel in a zone where it can not turn or maneuver (how does the admiral hope to get out?)

It would have been less stupid to have the Falcon get out of the nebula, be hailed by a bunch of ISD at close range, and be forced to plunge again in the cloud to escape, chased by Ties

Loved L3, but it's last scene is akin to dance in no-man's-land with a huge board saying 'please shoot me', so shot it was.

we finally saw a dreadnought on screen (so it's coming to Armada!)., and Han is driving under a Gozanti on Corellia. I though Qi'ra would betray Han in a far worse manner, finaly she stays faithful (kind of) but has professional obligation elsewhere

as the next SW Story is going to be Kenobi (see trailer), do you think they will redo the final battle with Maul or let it be just on anime?

a not-so-bad film, but I only want to review the first part on Corellia, and maybe the train attack.

I like many people went in with super low expectations. When the movie was announced I thought: "Oh dear, they could really mess this one up". When the turmoil began with director changes and reshoots I thought: "Oh no, I was right. They're messing it up". Then a few trailers started rolling out and I started to become a bit more optimistic, I believe the first one that really caught me was the Superbowl trailer. My optimism grew until a few weeks before the movie when I decided to check myself lest I wreck myself, and went in figuring it would be a dud. I think that was the best play as it allowed me to enjoy the film without being super critical. Overall I enjoyed the movie.

I was pleasantly surprised with Erenreich's performance. He was cocky, but optimistically cocky like a younger, less embittered Han, as opposed to Harrison Ford's cynical, cocky nature. I thought he was going to be terrible and he wasn't completely terrible. Emilia Clarke is going to be my wife, she just doesn't know it yet, neither does my girlfriend, so I'm a bit biased in that department. Chewie had the best lines in the film I thought, well written, well delivered with a touch of... all jokes aside I hoped for a more... Grand development of his and Han's characters. Val and Rio were wastes of characters, either do something with them or don't. L3 was as a character annoying, everyone seems to love the droid revolution, I thought it was hammy. However the linking of her core to the Falcon was a cool touch. Glover did a good job as Lando, but he made some stupid moves in battle which betrayed his supposed "experience" in all of the exploits he is purported to have accomplished. Woddy did a good job too, but there wasn't one thing overly good or bad about his performance that I care to comment on other than the fact that he was moved by the death of his lover for literally 90 seconds, really? Enfys had a bunch of potential that wasn't used but having her end up being a fledgling rebel cell was pretty cool. I would not at all be shocked if that plays in somewhere else in canon. Finally, I loved Paul Bettany. I haven't seen him portray a role poorly ever (if you have message me, I'd love to watch it). He always plays either a sinister or slimy or scheming dude, even if he is a good guy. Ok, enough about the characters.

I won't go over several things that have been gone over already regarding the plot, just a few things that ground my gears of that I pleasantly enjoyed.

That Heavy TIE, why f***ing bother? The only virtue of it was that it died last, which made zero sense because it is supposed to be larger/more cumbersome. There are plenty of other ships they could have used. Han Solo was born in 32 BBY, 10 years before the Outbreak of the Clone Wars. I don't know how old he was in the movie, I thought, 18-20. Say he's 20 during the Kessel Run, its 12 BBY, the Clone Wars have been over for only 7 years. I'm sure there was plenty of older tech that hadn't been taken out of circulation. Small gripe, but they just wanted to do something new, and new is fine. I loved the U-wing, but it served an alternate purpose, the Rebellion didn't really have an existing troop transport, so make one, that's cool, but don't make an X-wing T65.1 to fly next to a T65.0.

Those AT Haulers, they ship that they steal from Mimban. What a silly looking and somewhat impractical ship. I assume it had hyperdrive, is it going to light speed with an AT underslung? Does that work? Or is it just supposed to ferry AT's from their bases or support ships in orbit to the front? That's what I assumed, so what's the need for a hyperdrive, TIEs don't even have hyperdrives and they are dedicated starfighters.

The actual battle on Mimban was odd. I didn't like a few things, no visibility, you never see the enemy, phoney officers don't infiltrate military units that easily. A grunt maybe but the ratio of officers to grunts and NCOs usually precludes you not knowing every officer in your battalion let alone you own company. On the other hand the grittiness and trench-faring nature of their campaign was far more believable than marching out in the open across a field like some other Star Wars films (no names named) would have you believe. Those uniforms were amazing and far more indicative of the Empire's galaxy-spanning military apparatus; not everyone is a Stormtrooper or and elite soldier, there are some doggies in there too, presumably more mud than shiny white. 

Han and Lando's interactions were good. I liked how they sort of generated a kind of loathing respect for each other. It's like how I look at Ronaldo. I hate his guts, but I respect that he's a great football player, one of the best ever, but I still hate him. I hope that sports reference isn't lost on people here. The scene at the end when you think Han's about to punch Lando in the face only to see his Sabaat card on his wrist and go in for the hug/swipe was great. 

All and all I liked it. I'll probably go see it again with some of my friends who haven't seen it yet. I'll be able to re-evaluate my statements and see whether I changed my mind or missed anything. 7/10.

1 hour ago, Crawfskeezen said:

Finally, I loved Paul Bettany. I haven't seen him portray a role poorly ever (if you have message me, I'd love to watch it). He always plays either a sinister or slimy or scheming dude, even if he is a good guy. Ok, enough about the characters.

While I agree with everything else you said, I must take issue with Mr. Bettany's portrayal of Stephen Maturin in Master and Commander.  He does a rather poor job of playing a short, dark, ugly, peevish curmudgeon of Irish/Catalan descent.  Now, it really wasn't his fault - he was miscast, and the script criminally underutilized the role....but there you go.  ;)

I too saw the movie last night, and like most went in with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised.  I accepted the plot holes in return for its fleshing out vignettes of life in the Empire - the trench warfare, the seedy underworld...all quite nice and resonant for me.

I was hoping for more spaceships, but I guess you can't have everything!

4 minutes ago, Maturin said:

While I agree with everything else you said, I must take issue with Mr. Bettany's portrayal of Stephen Maturin in Master and Commander.  He does a rather poor job of playing a short, dark, ugly, peevish curmudgeon of Irish/Catalan descent.  Now, it really wasn't his fault - he was miscast, and the script criminally underutilized the role....but there you go.  ;)

I too saw the movie last night, and like most went in with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised.  I accepted the plot holes in return for its fleshing out vignettes of life in the Empire - the trench warfare, the seedy underworld...all quite nice and resonant for me.

I was hoping for more spaceships, but I guess you can't have everything!

Paul Bettany - A Knights Tale. Steals every scene he's in.

Solo is great fun. Deserves none of the hysterics its had and deserves a bigger box office. I blame Disney for the bad scheduling that has obviously hit the takings more than any so called boycott.