Boomer_J

Will we get a Medic unit?

15 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

All the current troopers except Commanders/Operatives die in a single wound so I am not sure how medics would help the dead.

That happens in most wargames that also have medics. Usually, medics add bonuses to saving throws, reduce overall casualties, or 'revive' eliminated units. As it's all an abstraction, there are plenty of ways a medic could be useful to single-wound models in game.

Maybe a pack of 6, worded to be equipped in the extra trooper slot on a squad. Give them ‘you may use aim tokens to reroll defense dice’ (unless that’s what dodge tokens do, I need to learn my rules).

You could easily have a medic unit which had an action somewhat like the following,

Field Treatment X: Choose a friendly non-vehicle trooper unit within Range 1. Roll White attack die equal to your Field Treatment X rating. For each hit, crit, or surge result you may remove 1 wound or return 1 model to play. Returned models must be placed touching their unit leader's base.

Could also have mechanics of some kind,

Field Repairs X: Choose a friendly vehicle model within range 1. Roll White attack die equal to your Field Repairs X rating. For each hit, crit, or surge result you may remove 1 wound or Ion token from that model. If the number of wounds the vehicle has drops below its Resilience threshold, discard any disabled, damaged, or weapon destroyed tokens that it has.

Upgrade Cards:

Rebel Medic: Personnel Upgrade card. 14 points. Add a Rebel Medic mini. Field Treatment 2.

Imperial Medical Officer: Personnel Upgrade card. 14 points. Add a Imperial Medical Officer mini. Field Treatment 2.

Astromech Droid: Personnel Upgrade card. 11 points. Add a Astromech Droid mini. Field Repairs 3. This mini cannot perform ranged attacks. 1 white melee die.

Imperial Mechanic: Personnel Upgrade card. 15 points. Add a Imperial Mechanic mini. Field Repair 2. Hold-out Blaster. Range 1-2: 2 black die.

Emergency Medical Supplies: Gear upgrade card. 8 points. Unit gains Field Treatment 1. After this unit performs a Field Treatment action, exhaust this card.

Edited by BadMotivator

1 hour ago, BadMotivator said:

Field Treatment X: Choose a friendly non-vehicle trooper unit within Range 1. Roll White attack die equal to your Field Treatment X rating. For each hit, crit, or surge result you may remove 1 wound or return 1 model to play. Returned models must be placed touching their unit leader's base.

Or, rather than have what amounts to regen (and all the possible complaints that could stem from such), it could be:

When defending, you may re-roll X defense dice. 

(obviously this is much better when defending with a red than a white, so either the points value or X needs to be balanced against the die colour of the host unit). 

Edited by ABXY

14 minutes ago, BadMotivator said:

I don’t like medics letting you reroll defense dice. Frankly that’s what dodge tokens should do.

medics should bring casualties back and maybe remove wounds.

Then people would complain that a removed mini was re-added to the group.

Makes more sense for a unit with a Medic in place of an extra trooper would roll 1 additional defence die when attacked, similar to Boba Fett's Impervious ability.

I guess we'll ultimately see what the mechanic might be, but I suspect in the not too distant future, medics, droids etc are going to be coming. 

Beyond the concept of Medics aiding in some way a Trooper unit, a droid could also be an in field repair option for vehicles. Kinda crazy but fun to think if chopper, R2 or whomever repairs that weapon your poor ATRT just lost.

Runewars has a command pack for each faction. I could see something where you get medics, engineers, officers that raise courage or recover for free etc. 6 or 8 minis total. Hopefully two of each per pack. In Runewars it was only one of each type per pack but you tend to have less units in that game.

This is probably why the commandos and scout troopers don't have that slot.

It is possible for someone to survive being 'taken-out ' (i.e. removed from play). 

Removing a model from play could signify a trooper who ran away to being KIA. I have no problem with a medic returning a trooper to play. I have more of a problem with an engineer doing a field repair on a vehicle, like was done in Dust. That makes me think the engineer is some kind of McGyver running around fixing stuff. 

2 hours ago, Bohemian73 said:

It is possible for someone to survive being 'taken-out ' (i.e. removed from play). 

Removing a model from play could signify a trooper who ran away to being KIA. I have no problem with a medic returning a trooper to play. I have more of a problem with an engineer doing a field repair on a vehicle, like was done in Dust. That makes me think the engineer is some kind of McGyver running around fixing stuff. 

Repairing on the fly is thematic to the films, e.g. r2 repaing Luke's xwing in A New Hope.

7 hours ago, Bohemian73 said:

It does jive with Star Wars though. Many combats and chases involve the heroes trying to fix the McGuffin during the middle of combat.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, Ghost Dancer said:

Repairing on the fly is thematic to the films, e.g. r2 repaing Luke's xwing in A New Hope.

I agree that it makes sense and have no problem with such a mechanic. Maybe I am thinking of Dust vehicle repairs. Some repairs are not believable to me to happen in the heat of battle. 

4 hours ago, Bohemian73 said:

I agree that it makes sense and have no problem with such a mechanic. Maybe I am thinking of Dust vehicle repairs. Some repairs are not believable to me to happen in the heat of battle. 

Given the types of vehicle damage we have in Legion, it seems reasonable.

We've got accumulated, unspecified damage to destroy a vehicle entirely. Pretty abstract, so it doesn't have to be countered by a field engineer bolting new armor plates on or whatever. Besides, this seems to me like the unlikely route for such a mechanic to take, as it extends the overall time to kill or disable the unit, which is pretty significant.

Then there's damaged, disabled, and weapon destroyed. Repairing these could represent bypassing damaged electrical systems, doing quick repairs on exposed belts, pulling shrapnel or debris out of drivetrains or joints, and so on. Think of an office printer as an example of an everyday item that still relies heavily on mechanical components. It's prone to jams and minor mechanical failures when paper gets shredded or torn inside its paper path. It's built with panels and such to access these known problem areas quickly and easily. A vehicle of war won't be as user-friendly, with clear labeling and such, but if there are areas that are known to be prone to error/damage/fault in combat conditions, it makes sense that they'd have access panels that a trained mechanic could access in the field to do similar simple "repairs".