solaria

Any bets.

any one else have the sinking feeling that FFG will announce Armada Second edition at Gen con. first Legion comes out with force abilities and now X wing. It would not surprise me to see an announcement at Gen Con for a Q4 2.0 starter, conversion kits and expansions for the Holidays.

1 minute ago, solaria said:

any one else have the sinking feeling that FFG will announce Armada Second edition at Gen con. first Legion comes out with force abilities and now X wing. It would not surprise me to see an announcement at Gen Con for a Q4 2.0 starter, conversion kits and expansions for the Holidays.

I wouldn't hold your breath on us getting any announcements in general. 

2 hours ago, solaria said:

Why is it a sinking feeling, specifically?

I don't think Armada has any particular need for a reboot, rules or otherwise, but what you described sounds like it'd be great for the game (although it'd be a real slow 2018).

Yeah I think that we are a ways off 2.0. No stress about that. Also I know that it has been a while since new ship news but the game is in an awesome spot right now. As for wild speculation I want more factions or SSD sized stuff. Also I have played a number of 500 point games that are a blast so maybe a standard point cost increase.

I will be amazed beyond all amazement if Armada gets a 2nd Edition any time in the next year.

1. Nothing in Armada approaches the cruft of rules and model obsolescence that has been a pall over X-Wing for the last couple of years.

2. A 2nd Edition would presumably be the result of a year or two of development. I doubt FFG has been cooking up Armada 2.0 for the past year, before they even got a chance to see how the community reacted to X-Wing 2.0. Expect them to watch how X-Wing 2 settles out. Then, and only maybe then, you might start wondering about Armada 2.0.

3. There are a few other announcements that are way more likely for GenCon. Here are my guesses, in decreasing order of likelihood.

1. "Something big" SWM20 Executor, and I guess some Rebel thing like Brahatok or AFM1.
  2. Nothing, and we have to endure more QQ posts here on the forums.
  3. They announce something during the summer, people still get their hopes up for GenCon, and nothing additional is announced and we all still complain.
  4. A new Core Box with some small thing for the veteran players inside to entice us to buy it again.
  5. A new Core Box but with totally different ships from outside the OT era.
  6. So unlikely as to be virtually inconceivable: A 2nd Edition.
Edited by Nostromoid
"un" likely

6 minutes ago, Nostromoid said:

I will be amazed beyond all amazement if Armada gets a 2nd Edition any time in the next year.

1. Nothing in Armada approaches the cruft of rules and model obsolescence that has been a pall over X-Wing for the last couple of years.

2. A 2nd Edition would presumably be the result of a year or two of development. I doubt FFG has been cooking up Armada 2.0 for the past year, before they even got a chance to see how the community reacted to X-Wing 2.0. Expect them to watch how X-Wing 2 settles out. Then, and only maybe then, you might start wondering about Armada 2.0.

Spot on. From what my X-Wing friends say, a 2.0 was desperately needed. Not hearing anything of that nature within the Armada community. Also, with Legion and X-Wing 2.0, I don't think FFG has had the time to develop an Armada 2.0.

7 minutes ago, Nostromoid said:

4.  A new Core Box with some small thing for the veteran players inside to entice us to buy it again.

I think this is more likely of an option, but I see it as being a Core Set with different ships (not new) or a "Core Set" with no ships, only a damage deck, movement tool, dice, range ruler, etc.; this would lead to a cheaper entry cost with the ability to choose you favorite ships to buy instead of the Vic, Neb-B, and CR90. A lower entry cost could get more people into the game and might also entice those that planned to quit X-Wing after 2.0 was announced.

I think that a second core set with a few changes to implement the "live game" model from X-Wing 2.0 would be highly advantageous.  I think that any such change should come with new ships and a much lower price point, or several more models in the set on par with the large releases of Legion and Imperial Assault.

This is down right blasphemous. There is absolutely zero need. Just need ships. I don’t care if they make them up. It is looks like Star Wars, smells like stars wars...we’ll to me it will be star wars. The tournament science is soooooo small of a portion of this game. Most home brewed games stopped that crappy transport stuff ages ago just like we stopped using other silly stuff. The 40 year old Star Wars fans just want product. The game is fine and anyone who says otherwise lack imagination or the ability to fine a few people to play by the same decent rules. 

12 hours ago, solaria said:

first Legion comes out with force abilities and now X wing.

I don't think you have to worry. Both Legion and X-wing focus on individuals or very small crews. Measuring and applying the effects of force powers is easy to measure there. When it comes to entire fleets of ships crewed with hundreds to thousands of people, the effect becomes MUCH more difficult to measure or apply. Armada doesn't really need force powers because the effects of the force can be applied through specific upgrade functions. Consider Vader, they apply his abilities over several cards.

darth-vader-commander.png darth-vader-boarding.png darth-vader.png

14 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

Armada will probably get a 2nd ed eventually but not for a year or two.

IA is likely to get a 2nd ed before Armada and that will be a while (if ever).

Armada is nowhere near broken (enough) to warrant a tidy up yet.

IA already got a 2.0....its rebranded "Legion".....   

1 hour ago, moodswing5537 said:

IA already got a 2.0....its rebranded "Legion".....   

Nope. Completely different game. One's a dungeon crawler with proper campaign and storyline, the other is a game were the minis are too big to include AT-ATs that everyone is after.

Edited by Gallanteer

Just now, Gallanteer said:

Nope. Completely different game. One's a dungeon crawler/RPG with proper campaign and storyline, the other is a game were the minis are too big to included AT-ATs that everyone is after.

Too True. I love the campaign part of IA. They ruined tourneys when they dangled mat-maps in front of me that were only good for 9 months in the rotation....

My bet is on an atypical wave. If they took this long from announcing “something big is coming,” I am inclined to think they’ve spent a long time trying to balance something. 

Personally, I will be extraordinarily happy and will lick all the salt if they announce a CIS faction box. I don’t expect it, but I can hope. 

59 minutes ago, Church14 said:

My bet is on an atypical wave. If they took this long from announcing “something big is coming,” I am inclined to think they’ve spent a long time trying to balance something. 

Personally, I will be extraordinarily happy and will lick all the salt if they announce a CIS faction box. I don’t expect it, but I can hope. 

Everyone keeps mentioning prequel stuff in Armada and XW but in reality, there isn't that much stuff to choose from. You might get a total of 4 ships and 4 squadron types for each faction in total. That isn't a lot of variety.

I'm still holding out for an SSD (even as a rebel player) and the rebels maybe getting a whole 2nd medium based ship plus squadrons from R1/Solo. A new campaign would be nice as well.

If the Imps get the SSD I hope FFG don't feel the need to create a huge ship for Rebels because that wasn't their style.

Honestly, I want a medium imperial ship that is actually usable. The interdictor may as well be a large ship and the victory is hopelessly broken barring a speed chart faq. Having no choice but to take ISDs and interdictors in the new raddus world is pretty boring. I like the isd,  i do. But I kind of want to use other ships occasionally as well. To be clear, I think the meta is in a good place at the moment, but I just feel pigeonholed when fleetbuilding.

33 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

Everyone keeps mentioning prequel stuff in Armada and XW but in reality, there isn't that much stuff to choose from. You might get a total of 4 ships and 4 squadron types for each faction in total. That isn't a lot of variety.

I'm still holding out for an SSD (even as a rebel player) and the rebels maybe getting a whole 2nd medium based ship plus squadrons from R1/Solo. A new campaign would be nice as well.

If the Imps get the SSD I hope FFG don't feel the need to create a huge ship for Rebels because that wasn't their style.

I can understand disagreement. 

But man, the SSD is the most craptastically stupid thing they could implement in Armada. The implementation of epic play in XWMG was abysmal. Forcing players to buy a $70-$100 expansion to get top tier, tournament winning cards is horse****. I expect them to pull the exact same **** if they bring an SSD. That’s how they would tempt losing a significant portion of the player base. Not just because of the SSD, but because the implication that it would keep happening. 

So no.

#NeverSSD

I think they are waiting for Solo, and under gag orders.  Solo wave, with some ships, squadrons, probably a campaign.  Eventually a new core set, maybe split box with just core rules and templates in one, and full core set with mini's in the other...

There are a few smaller kits left in the Civil War era, but not much, and of course some oddballs older ships (Venators, Vindicators, AFMK-I, Dreadnoughts, etc) that were still in service in backwaters at the beginning of Galactic Civil War (just like the Victory was an old design relegated to fringe and backwater duty).  I think they will eventually do a real ISD-1 kit, and potentially get into some of the other minor kits (alternate Mon Cal cruiser for the last variant "wingless liberty"from RotJ).  There is precedent from X-wing.  If they do a 2.0 rev it will likely just follow the X-wing model, and apply the various faq wording changes and whatnot; they game doesn't need a major rebalance, but more of a 1.1 text cleanup and some reboxing.

If FFG was smart about it, they would lean on the campaign model heavily for new content and variation.  Convoy missions, alternate map styles (3x3, more use of the 9x3 variant), tournament scale with force comp limits (scout games at 200-300pts, larger scale 500-800 or higher pt games).  Campaigns and cardstock expansions are much cheaper and lower logistical overhead than plastic kits, and can do cardpacks (like the X-wing faction packs) to enable access to FAQ'd card variants.

Armada is a FANTASTIC game, which has managed to remain functional with minor FAQ tweaks (relatively) to keep things rolling along.  Some cleanup, some more Correlia style campaigns (with some matured rules), some dedicated mission variants (mission packs are easy money and good fun), or storyboard campaigns (less board-gamey than the current single campaign pack).

8 minutes ago, Chemosh667 said:

I think they are waiting for Solo, and under gag orders.  Solo wave, with some ships, squadrons, probably a campaign.  Eventually a new core set, maybe split box with just core rules and templates in one, and full core set with mini's in the other...

There was 1 new confirmed ship for the Imperials and possibly 1 new-ish ship for the Rebels.

The Rebel ship looks like a CR-90 with the wrong engines and showed up on a poster, while the scene for the new Imperial ship was cut from the movie.

Both ships looked like they'd be small based, what with one literally being a Corillean Corvette.

There's the TIE/rb and the AT-Hauler for new squadrons, but both of those are Imperial.

21 minutes ago, Indy_com said:

There was 1 new confirmed ship for the Imperials and possibly 1 new-ish ship for the Rebels.

The Rebel ship looks like a CR-90 with the wrong engines and showed up on a poster, while the scene for the new Imperial ship was cut from the movie.

Both ships looked like they'd be small based, what with one literally being a Corillean Corvette.

There's the TIE/rb and the AT-Hauler for new squadrons, but both of those are Imperial.

Yes, but a campaign with a couple minor blister expansions (ships, squadrons, whatever), possibly mixed with older designs like Venators, Dreadnoughts, etc (this would be the place for it).  That I could see.  It's a great opportunity for campaign pack and some minor blisters, and to give a place to reference older, canon designs...

At least that would be news.  I would happily play Armada 2.0 if it ever happens, as long as they keep the feel of the game mostly in tact.   I love Armada more than any other game - the setup, the movement, the fleet positioning....   it's very exciting to me.    Nothing else captures that feel.