Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
animattor78

Ion

Recommended Posts

The Ion Troopers,

Ion weapons put ion tokens on vehicles only correct?

aslo if a unit has 5 rebels (5black dice) and an ion trooper (2 red) can you use a dice pool of (7 total dice 5black/2 red) against say a squad of storm troopers?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, animattor78 said:

The Ion Troopers,

Ion weapons put ion tokens on vehicles only correct?

aslo if a unit has 5 rebels (5black dice) and an ion trooper (2 red) can you use a dice pool of (7 total dice 5black/2 red) against say a squad of storm troopers?

 

Is much as I'd love to...and I think it should be legal...you cannot ionize Darth Vader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Crawfskeezen said:

To follow up this point, the attack pool gains Ion 1 meaning that even if the red die from the Ion weapon doesn't hit, the black die from the trooper's rifle could assign the Ion token to a vehicle.

Correct?

Correct.  The entire Attack Pool gains the Ion keyword so it does not matter which die in the pool causes the damage, as long as 1 damage gets through the vehicle gains an Ion token.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also while on the topic of Ion, just to make it easier for persons looking up rules here as opposed to the RRB (p30).

A vehicle needs to suffer a hit for the Ion to take effect, and only after a vehicle that has Ion tokens finishes its activation it removes all Ion tokens.

Ion tokens don't effect comp actions (such as move on T-47 ect). And a vehicle looses one action per ion token held.

So even if a vehicle has completed it's activation that round, it keeps the token(s) until the next round and only removes these after it has completed it's activation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Timinater said:

Also while on the topic of Ion, just to make it easier for persons looking up rules here as opposed to the RRB (p30).

A vehicle needs to suffer a hit for the Ion to take effect, and only after a vehicle that has Ion tokens finishes its activation it removes all Ion tokens.

Ion tokens don't effect comp actions (such as move on T-47 ect). And a vehicle looses one action per ion token held.

So even if a vehicle has completed it's activation that round, it keeps the token(s) until the next round and only removes these after it has completed it's activation.

 

 

It’s says on page 30 of the rrb that you need to take a wound to get and ion token not just a hit

A vehicle that suffers wounds when defending against an attack by a weapon that has the ion x keyword gains x ion tokens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rowdyoctopus said:

He asked if he could use the weapon against a non-vehicle unit and your answer was that you can't ionize them. Not really a clear answer.

I was addressing his first question, about whether Ion Tokens only go on vehicles. 

I've thought for a long time that a particularly stealthy Jawa could take out everyone's favorite sith lord. 

Personally I don't think the ion effect matters to whether you can add it to the dice pool.  Impact weapons can be fired at non-armored targets, you get the dice but don't get to use the impact effect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this came up last night - 

Rebels with ion shot at a unit of speederbikes via a standby action after the bikes compulsary move (sneaky rebels!) 

2 wounds were caused, So an ion token given. 

The rules state 'at the start of a units activation, if that unit has one or more ion tokens...' so no effect from the ion during the current activation, then '...at the end of a units activation, it discards all ion tokens it has.'

So despite seeming like a great real world tactic of surprising a vehicle with an ion hit, in game it literally had no effect. I didn't miss anything here did I? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rauhughes said:

So this came up last night - 

Rebels with ion shot at a unit of speederbikes via a standby action after the bikes compulsary move (sneaky rebels!) 

2 wounds were caused, So an ion token given. 

The rules state 'at the start of a units activation, if that unit has one or more ion tokens...' so no effect from the ion during the current activation, then '...at the end of a units activation, it discards all ion tokens it has.'

So despite seeming like a great real world tactic of surprising a vehicle with an ion hit, in game it literally had no effect. I didn't miss anything here did I? 

I was wondering about that same scenario.  It does seem like, RAW, the ion would have essentially no effect in that situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 12:16 PM, Rauhughes said:

So this came up last night - 

Rebels with ion shot at a unit of speederbikes via a standby action after the bikes compulsary move (sneaky rebels!) 

2 wounds were caused, So an ion token given. 

The rules state 'at the start of a units activation, if that unit has one or more ion tokens...' so no effect from the ion during the current activation, then '...at the end of a units activation, it discards all ion tokens it has.'

So despite seeming like a great real world tactic of surprising a vehicle with an ion hit, in game it literally had no effect. I didn't miss anything here did I? 

I would think that in this case the ionization would take effect to deny the ionized unit an action if it received an ion token as the result of a standby attack.  

Consider it like a suppression token.  If my infantry move into your standby range, causing you to take a shot and award a standby token, I will lose an action that round, even though I was not suppressed at the beginning of the round...even if I already passed my rally.

 

So, compulsory - Standby gives an Ion, Lose an action, Complete other action (if you can), End activation and lose all ion tokens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

Consider it like a suppression token.

It is not like a suppression token. Suppression says "during a unit's activation," whereas ion says "at the start of a unit's activation." If you gain an ion token during your activation, the start of your activation has already happened. Different words, different functionality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Turan said:

It is not like a suppression token. Suppression says "during a unit's activation," whereas ion says "at the start of a unit's activation." If you gain an ion token during your activation, the start of your activation has already happened. Different words, different functionality.

RAW which has an absurd consequence that you can apply an ion token that has no impact at all vs. RAI which makes logical sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zrob314 said:

RAW which has an absurd consequence that you can apply an ion token that has no impact at all vs. RAI which makes logical sense.

If you read the other recent thread on suppression, there's a verbal confirmation from Adepticon that says the number of actions (including from suppression) is supposed to be determined during the Rally phase. So...RAI you're incorrect in both situations instead of just one ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only real way I see to fix it is to word it such that if you have an ion token, your only action is action: discard one ion token. Leave the shizzle about discarding all tokens at end of round to stop ultimate ion lockdown and boom! Ion system works flawlessly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Turan said:

If you read the other recent thread on suppression, there's a verbal confirmation from Adepticon that says the number of actions (including from suppression) is supposed to be determined during the Rally phase. So...RAI you're incorrect in both situations instead of just one ?

I was getting confuced with the standby unit losing their standby to suppression.

I still think the ion in the example here SHOULD take effect immediately, but I would also be cool with having the ion token persist to the next round.  Again, it's an absurd consequence that a unit can get an ion token that never has any impact.  Moreso than suppression which comes and gos at a fast clip and could be negated in many ways each turn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Turan said:

If you read the other recent thread on suppression, there's a verbal confirmation from Adepticon that says the number of actions (including from suppression) is supposed to be determined during the Rally phase. So...RAI you're incorrect in both situations instead of just one ?

It’s not just a verbal confirmation, we have an email from Alex in the email compilation thread confirming this.

A Standby attack causing suppression to a currently activating unit will not cause that unit to lose an action.

Edited by Thoras

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 2:16 PM, Zrob314 said:

Again, it's an absurd consequence that a unit can get an ion token that never has any impact.

And it's fine for you to have that opinion, and even to make a house rule reflecting it, or petition FFG to change it, but that consequence is what the current rules instruct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 2:38 PM, Thoras said:

It’s not just a verbal confirmation, we have an email from Alex in the email compilation thread confirming this.

What is the status of competitive play with Legion? Do people use/accept e-mail rulings, or ignore them to play RAW as best as possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...