MacchuWA

Solo movie talk (No spoilers)

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Azrapse said:

Perhaps it's not Solo's fault, but the audience is getting burnt out on Star Wars?
There used to be like 3 years between OT movies, the same for the PT movies.
There was a 16 years drought of Star Wars between ROTJ and TPM.
10 Years between ROTS and TFA.
Now we get a Star Wars movie every year. Sometimes even just few months apart like between TLJ and Solo.

If that is not enough, in between we are given cartoon series, shorts, tons of books, and all of that is intertwined in a single continuum narrative, more or less. 

I think the fans are getting burnt out, and the general audience is totally oversaturated.
I know there are even more Marvel movies, but, I don't know. Maybe they have more varied characters.

Sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad.

I think burnout wouldn't be a sudden dive, but a steady decrease.

This is a combination of terrible TLJ resulting in people not caring anymore or even boycotting, and a weak marketing campaign.

I think the boycott is understandable. If people believe KK is responsible for what happened, boycott of every new Star Wars meida is a logical conclusion, and I respect their restrain, even though I personally believe the fault is less on her and more on the hacks writing and directing the movies, JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson, which is why I'm paying for anthology movies but I will boycott Episode IX and Johnson trilogy, regardless of fan reception.

Semi-related, after reading some opinions:

What bothers me is that a lot of people who haven't seen the movie complain about how the actor doesn't look/sound like Harrison Ford while at the same time they praise Glover's Lando, who looks nothing like Billy D, except for the skin color. Is he a fantastic Lando? Yes he is, but that's because he is a good actor, not because his face resembles another person. 

There is a similar double standard with the "nobody wanted this movie" argument, as supposedly fans don't want a movie with Han, because they've seen him in four movies already. That's a fair point, and I agree, I liked this movie and R1, but I'd rather have anthology movies that don't tie so closely to ANH. But then they add at the end "they should have done one about Kenobi instead"... Kenobi, a main character in four movies and two TV shows (one of them non-canon), in total starring in seven movies and three shows... and of course they want a movie very closely tied to ANH, about old Ben guarding Luke on Tatooine, instead of, I don't know, something interesting. The ****?

Edited by eMeM

46 minutes ago, eMeM said:

But then they add at the end "they should have done one about Kenobi instead"... Kenobi, a main character in four movies and two TV shows (one of them non-canon), in total starring in seven movies and three shows... and of course they want a movie very closely tied to ANH, about old Ben guarding Luke on Tatooine, instead of, I don't know, something interesting. The ****?

I don't see it either.
Kenobi is basically a hermit between ROTS and ANH. Bail Organa knew he was there because he was present while Yoda told Kenobi to watch over Luke. That's it.
Unlike with Han, that we left to assume he had lots of adventures before we see him first in ANH, we are explicitly told that Kenobi basically did nothing but watching over Luke and training to understand the disappearing technique or whatever Yoda told him he was supposed to train. The only break in this monotony is what we see in Rebels, and that is already told.
There is nothing to tell here.

5 hours ago, Ambigatos said:

I'm reading the audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. The audience score is being weighed down by people who refuse to even see the movie. So it's essentially getting bad reviews from people who haven't even "viewed" it. lol whaaaaat?

Scores under 1.5 are not used when calculating the average, if they were tlj would of had 24%.

4 hours ago, Azrapse said:

I don't see it either.
Kenobi is basically a hermit between ROTS and ANH. Bail Organa knew he was there because he was present while Yoda told Kenobi to watch over Luke. That's it.
Unlike with Han, that we left to assume he had lots of adventures before we see him first in ANH, we are explicitly told that Kenobi basically did nothing but watching over Luke and training to understand the disappearing technique or whatever Yoda told him he was supposed to train. The only break in this monotony is what we see in Rebels, and that is already told.
There is nothing to tell here.

Anything is possible with a creative person.

Would it be gratuitous? Yes.

Would it ruin some of the mystery of a New Hope? Possibly.

Would I rather a sequel to Solo? Yes, there's far more potential for exploring the Star Wars universe with Han Solo then there is with Obi Wan.

But would I support and go see a Kenobi movie? Definitely. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SOTL said:

Box office is full-on crashing now.  By contrast to the $32m on Friday ($14m of which was actually Thursday), TFA opened to $119m, TLJ $105m, Rogue One $71m.

Did R1, TFA or TLJ have films like Infinity War or Deadpool 2 released in the same month? Did the others release in the summer? Did they release just 6 months after another SW film? Thought not (on all 3 counts). Comparing Solo to the others is not showing the full picture is it. Now take your figures and shout about them in glee with others of a similar nature elsewhere. The rest of us will simply go if we fancy it and probably enjoy it to varying degrees.

I seriously don't understand the need to be derogitory towards a film that is still doing well, will still turn a profit and entertain millions. 

As for not needing Solo? We didn't need Rogue one either. Was it entertaining? **** right.

From what I've seen on the web, there is a small number of very vocal people talking this movie down. Everyone has a right to voice their opinions, but lets not pretend its the majority. Its summer, there are 2 other big budget movies out at the same time and everyone's time and budget is limited. That is the real effect on Solo, not that its bad or any alleged boycotting.

Edited by Gallanteer

9 hours ago, SOTL said:

Do be quiet, adults are talking.

When you have to point something like that out, it shows who the adults are.

10 hours ago, Ambigatos said:

Have you read them? A good portion of them are coming from people who admit they won't even go see it. That's not a review. It's being weighed down by haters with literally no basis to substantiate that it's bad lol.

"First Star Wars movie I am happy to skip." 

Not an actual review of the movie 

"Will not give Disney my money after the abomination that is TLJ"

"not going to support Kathleen Kennedy's trash agenda with my $$"

etc.
etc.
etc.

This is why my relationship with Star Wars fans is so tenuous, argh.

9 hours ago, eMeM said:

You could say the same about Jar Jar in TPM.

You can't. Jar-Jar wasn't a self aware piss-take on agenda pushers. He was just annoying.

By the way? Rogue One had a sub-100mil opening weekend too.

Go figure, it's a beloved film.

58 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

You can't. Jar-Jar wasn't a self aware piss-take on agenda pushers. He was just annoying.

He was just as self aware as LEET. He was annoying to both the audience and the characters in the movie."The ability to speak does not make you intelligent" - Qui-Gon, "Master, why do you keep dragging these pathetic life forms along with us?" - Obi-Wan, Sebulba wanted to murder him,  Gungans wanted to murder him, Tarpals had multiple eyeroll moments, he even annoyed R2-D2.

Self-aware doesn't always mean funny.

On 5/23/2018 at 1:53 PM, SEApocalypse said:

Where is the spoiler talk topic? ^_^

Anyway. 6/10 from me. Solid, predictable star wars western. I did not like the one of the last plot twists. It felt forced to me, and Corellia seemed to be a little to much grim dark and a little to one-dimensional, but overall, solid, entertaining movie, doing some lore building for canon , which basically is just taking old stuff we already had. Could have been an  oneshot of my SWRPG Group. ^_^

6/10 is my vote as well. 

It was still better than the new trilogy. Rey and Kylo can get lost for all I care. More Rogue One plz. 

2 minutes ago, RunnerAZ said:

Rey and Kylo can get lost for all I care. More Rogue One plz. 

Despite what I dont like about Solo and Rogue One they are absolutely better than TLJ though worse than Force Awakens. 

Just now, RunnerAZ said:

6/10 is my vote as well. 

It was still better than the new trilogy. Rey and Kylo can get lost for all I care. More Rogue One plz. 

Ironic. I consider TFA and Rogue One even below the prequels, while think that TLJ was better than empire (despite it's flaws). 

Still, this contrast between our opinions shows how safe they played it with Solo. 

I enjoyed Solo a lot.  I went in with pretty iffy expectations because I wasn't a fan of Disney making a Han Solo movie in the first place.  The movie blew my expectations out of the water!  I actually think it might be my favorite Disney star wars film so far.

It has a tight narrative that moves along at a good clip (Rogue One struggled with this in its first half where the re-editing really showed) and it doesn't get bogged down by shoehorning in references or tie ins to other Star Wars movies.  More importantly it gives time for the new characters to really breathe and develop.

The actors do a great job handling the iconic characters in my opinion.  Donald Glover sounds a lot like Billy Dee but doesn't overdo it to the point of sounding like an over the top impression (which is a problem that the new Star Treks had).  Alden captures enough Harrison ford mannerisms and facial expressions to sell being a younger Han, and the script really helps him by giving him some great dialogue to work with.  No one can ever match young Ford, but Alden's Han still feels like Han.  Another problem Rogue One had was that its primary lead lacked enough charisma to carry the movie, with many scenes being stolen by other characters. Solo does not have this problem.

Another thing that jumped out at me was the soundtrack.  Rogue One had a mostly forgettable lack luster soundtrack.  Solo sounds a lot more like something John Williams would have scored in his younger days with a lot of bombast and Wagnerian flair.  They also use some bits and pieces of the Williams score directly for a certain scene.

The low box office returns are not surprising to me.  I went to a Thursday night show and the place was half empty, which shocked me and my friends.  I have a feeling it might pick up some more momentum as word of mouth builds.  I think the weaker opening can be attributed to the May release.  It feels a little too soon after The Last Jedi and like some have pointed out Disney might be running into brand fatigue by releasing movies every year.  I wouldn't mind if they slowed down a bit, maybe releasing a movie every 2 years instead of each year.  The other thing that doesn't help is that Solo was plagued with bad press during its production since they switched directors and did a lot of re-shoots.  It didn't build up hype the same way that the other films did. 

3 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

Did R1, TFA or TLJ have films like Infinity War or Deadpool 2 released in the same month? Did the others release in the summer? Did they release just 6 months after another SW film? Thought not (on all 3 counts). Comparing Solo to the others is not showing the full picture is it. Now take your figures and shout about them in glee with others of a similar nature elsewhere. The rest of us will simply go if we fancy it and probably enjoy it to varying degrees.

I seriously don't understand the need to be derogitory towards a film that is still doing well, will still turn a profit and entertain millions. 

As for not needing Solo? We didn't need Rogue one either. Was it entertaining? **** right.

From what I've seen on the web, there is a small number of very vocal people talking this movie down. Everyone has a right to voice their opinions, but lets not pretend its the majority. Its summer, there are 2 other big budget movies out at the same time and everyone's time and budget is limited. That is the real effect on Solo, not that its bad or any alleged boycotting.

Can you point anything derogatory I've said?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SOTL said:

Can you point anything derogatory I've said?

One page ago is a post in which you told another poster they weren't an adult and to be quiet on that basis.

Acting as if you've said nothing derogatory is disingenuous.

Edited by ScottieATF

5 hours ago, ScottieATF said:

One page ago is a post in which you told another poster they weren't an adult and to be quiet on that basis.

Acting as if you've said nothing derogatory is disingenuous.

About the movie I meant, clearly 

9 hours ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

That's rich coming from you.  You're bagging out a film you've not even seen.

Citation needed, I've posted audience scores from different sites and posted box office results.

Not once have I called the movie bad, how could I when I've not seen it.

I'm also not the one using personal attacks.

The ones getting nasty are the people who enjoyed the movie but can't square that with its failure, it's a difficult stance as they must argue subjective feelings against solid facts.

Posted (edited)

Well it seems Solo is on track to lose Disney up to $200 million. Even without the increase in budget due to reshoots the movie would be on track to lose them up to $100 million.

Even $500 million worldwide is not a safe bet anymore. And a couple of weeks a go i though the movie could break $900 million.

Who would have thought you could lose money with a Star Wars movie. Star Wars always seemed like the liscense to print money.

I hates TLJ but enjoyed Solo. But it appears that the disappointment of TLJ was much bigger than i thought.

Edited by Reaver027

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Citation needed, I've posted audience scores from different sites and posted box office results.

Not once have I called the movie bad, how could I when I've not seen it.

I'm also not the one using personal attacks.

The ones getting nasty are the people who enjoyed the movie but can't square that with its failure, it's a difficult stance as they must argue subjective feelings against solid facts.

"This movie is offensive it's not made for fans it's made to push an agenda that's at its heart discriminatory and racist"

That's you, not 2 pages ago. How are you going to act like you haven't been entirely willing to jump to conclusions about the film, despite not having seen it, while having made that statement?

But yeah you never called it bad. Just offensive, racist, and discriminatory. But not bad.

That's just flat out denial.

Edited by ScottieATF