Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzywookie

Bash the newbie.

That is kind of a specific question that demands a vague answer....I think not understanding the rules, specifically the interactions between cards and the timing of effects, is a major reason. This leads to incomplete fleet building, IMHO. I have found that experience irons a lot of that out. Then again, I have seen folks enter the game with a huge understanding of the strategy and taken to the game like a champ. 

It probably comes down to not understanding the game flow, and this manifests in fleet building and on the table.

You have 6 rounds, and 6 rounds only.  You need to make the most of it with 400 points. 

That upgrade you took may be useful, but is it worth 8 of those precious points when it only is useful on one of those turns, one in three games?

Sure, you didn’t directly suffer losses because you commanded your squadrons on turn one, but that missed token may have cost you later on.

I would say things to work on would be:

1. Fleet building. Too many upgrades and wrong or poorly thought up objectives. 

2. Deployment. Make sure you practice and have a plan for how you plop ‘em down. 

3. Rushing in. A lot of new players will rush their ships in without much thought. 

4. Activating squads turn 1. Bank a token and activate them in the squad phase to start your attack run. 

For me personally, when I was starting, the biggest detriment to my success was understanding activation order and attack range.  Someone told me mc30s were great, so I lined them up for awesome shots on Star Destroyers and then they died before I could shoot.  Understanding upgrades etc and knowing what your opponent can or will do is also a big thing, but that is so with any game.

I feel that one of the main problems I face is understanding maneuvering. Sure, I understand the technical aspects, but it takes some experience to know whether your raider will be able to skirt around your opponents LMC80. At least for me, understanding card interactions was rather easy, but having the foresight needed to execute dangerous maneuvers. 

Additionally, the stuff about pace and tempo that people above have brought up goes without saying. In any complex game, like chess or armada, having a “rhythm” is something that new players cannot get the hang of. Playing a lot of games is crucial to understanding what works and what doesn’t, as well as allowing new to develop a style.

I'd say early on, the main things new players need to work on is deployment, objectives and fully understanding the cards.  A skilled player can totally mess up at deployment but still do well because of their experience, but a new player is at a serious handicap.  Likewise, choosing an objective that does nothing for you but helps out your opponent handicaps you. 

Learn what each upgrade does.  Figure out which ones work best for you.  If it doesn't help the fleet you have selected, you're just burning points that you could use for something else.

Come up with a plan that you want your fleet to do, but then be prepared to improvise because plans often do not survive past round 2.

Practice with squadrons and your ships.  Avoid just hurling your assets at his and wasting your firepower, or falling into their advantage.

Practice may not make perfect, but it does make you better.

All beginner players must land on their own fighters on the first activation of their first game. It's the law.
The wargamer instinct calls to them, subconsciously telling them to put up a screen in front of their ships. 

Oh yes and they overuse the concentrate fire command.
I keep saying Navigate, Navigate, Navigate! But they do like a 75% chance of doing 1 more point of damage which may get braced away to nothing after all.

Edited by Mad Cat

http://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/2017/02/armada-101-working-your-way-up-from.html

New players haven't memorized a lot of the basic rules and that tends to present an immediate problem.

Otherwise, newer players have a tendency to just rush straight at the opponent's fleet at full speed and don't manage their speed very well past that (lots of con fire commands, few nav commands) so they tend to be very predictable and they often overshoot what they're going after and then can't get back into the fight in time. They also tend to not command their squadrons much at all, which means they tend to instantly lose the squadron mini-game.

Deployment-wise they usually deploy too wide. It's very common for newer players to deploy a ship so far outside the fight that it won't matter until round 4 or later.

1 hour ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

I would say things to work on would be:

1. Fleet building. Too many upgrades and wrong or poorly thought up objectives. 

2. Deployment. Make sure you practice and have a plan for how you plop ‘em down. 

3. Rushing in. A lot of new players will rush their ships in without much thought. 

4. Activating squads turn 1. Bank a token and activate them in the squad phase to start your attack run. 

I'll add activation order. I've seen a few games where the new guy activates a ship that can't really contribute, while their heavy hitter is in prime position to kill a ship.

2 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I'll add activation order. I've seen a few games where the new guy activates a ship that can't really contribute, while their heavy hitter is in prime position to kill a ship.

Or not activate a ship and get it killed.  Or activate a ship that could have waited and get it killed.. I do that still on accident sometimes.

I'm more or less a beginner and my issue is certainly the game flow. It is difficult to understand where things are going to be and when they're going to be there and when they NEED to be there and hence when to activate which ship. This is the biggest source of getting which orders I'm turning over on command dials wrong. This is the biggest source of my mistakes in deployment. This is the biggest source of making the list I've fielded inefficient. This is how I pull the wrong objectives for my lists. 

The rules and card interactions get away from me as well but mostly because so much head space is being taken up with what is the right decision on which ship is next. Shoot then move is much more difficult than move then shoot. And the game combines both of those in regards to activated squadrons.  

I think the difficulty of this game is all in visualizing and managing the flow. 

20 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I'm more or less a beginner and my issue is certainly the game flow. It is difficult to understand where things are going to be and when they're going to be there and when they NEED to be there and hence when to activate which ship. This is the biggest source of getting which orders I'm turning over on command dials wrong. This is the biggest source of my mistakes in deployment. This is the biggest source of making the list I've fielded inefficient. This is how I pull the wrong objectives for my lists. 

The rules and card interactions get away from me as well but mostly because so much head space is being taken up with what is the right decision on which ship is next. Shoot then move is much more difficult than move then shoot. And the game combines both of those in regards to activated squadrons.  

I think the difficulty of this game is all in visualizing and managing the flow. 

Stick with one list idea, like max squads with Dodonna. Play it consistently, and figure out the things you need to be better at. Eventually, you'll reach a point where you realize it's you that is making mistakes, and sometimes it's the fleet that is built wrong. 

For example, you might build an Independence fleet with B-Wings, thinking you can sling the B-Wings for a sweet alpha strike, but you'll find it takes too long to set up and is quite difficult. And that Independence is inferior to Defiance, so you'll make adjustments. 

You'll find the flow of the game when you understand your fleet and how each ship/squad contributes to the fleet. It can take quite a long time. After wave 5 dropped, I spent most of my time with JJ, and it wasn't until wave 6 that I finally made a list that clicked. I could run it consistently, I knew what everything was supposed to do, and I was able to tweak it so there was never a good decision for my opponent. That was about a 6 month process, all with the same idea. You can get there, but it takes time and a lot of effort. 

11 hours ago, idiewell said:

I'd say early on, the main things new players need to work on is deployment, objectives and fully understanding the cards.  A skilled player can totally mess up at deployment but still do well because of their experience, but a new player is at a serious handicap.  Likewise, choosing an objective that does nothing for you but helps out your opponent handicaps you.

I remember this one time I was first player and had a substantial Rhymer ball and fighter wing back in the days of super-strong Rhymer. My opponent with three MKIIs without squadrons brought "Superior Positions". (the one with ships and squadrons shooting in the rear hull zones)

If it had been a casual game, we would have certainly stopped it at some point, but it was an Armada League Berlin game, so we saw it through. 270 - 0 in objective points (18 tokens) - not a single ship or squadron destroyed...

Edited by JadinED

39 minutes ago, JadinED said:

If it had been a casual game, we would have certainly stopped it at some point, but it was an Armada League Berlin game, so we saw it through. 270 - 0 in objective points (18 tokens) - not a single ship or squadron destroyed...

Amazing that you bombed that much without killing something!

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

Stick with one list idea, like max squads with Dodonna. Play it consistently, and figure out the things you need to be better at. Eventually, you'll reach a point where you realize it's you that is making mistakes, and sometimes it's the fleet that is built wrong. 

For example, you might build an Independence fleet with B-Wings, thinking you can sling the B-Wings for a sweet alpha strike, but you'll find it takes too long to set up and is quite difficult. And that Independence is inferior to Defiance, so you'll make adjustments. 

You'll find the flow of the game when you understand your fleet and how each ship/squad contributes to the fleet. It can take quite a long time. After wave 5 dropped, I spent most of my time with JJ, and it wasn't until wave 6 that I finally made a list that clicked. I could run it consistently, I knew what everything was supposed to do, and I was able to tweak it so there was never a good decision for my opponent. That was about a 6 month process, all with the same idea. You can get there, but it takes time and a lot of effort. 

I don't get to play enough. I also don't make any time to practice moving stuff around at home or play on Vassal. So this: 

1 hour ago, ovinomanc3r said:

To not play enough games basically.

Also to elaborate it: to not lose enough games. 

3 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I don't get to play enough. I also don't make any time to practice moving stuff around at home or play on Vassal. So this: 

Practice against yourself. I did that for a few months. At least 1 game a week against my own ideas. It really forces you to design a fleet with a specific purpose, otherwise you can cheat yourself and have your preferred fleet win. It's not as fun, but it helps you learn how to fly ships and explore new fleets.