Sign in to follow this  
Thraug

Battle Card selection - concerns

The recent tournament guide states:

... players must bring 12 unique objective, deployment, and condition cards, four of each type.

I think it's better for the game if all released objective, deployment, and condition cards are used every match, instead of only 4 from each category. What will eventually happen is that players will settle on a small subset of 4 cards from each category and we'll almost always see the same cards played. This happens in any game that allows for objective deck building (Armada, etc.), and results in many very fun objectives never seeing play. ?

The Battle Card system in Legion is fantastic and I'm concerned it'll be greatly compromised with this build rule. It's likely they have this rule so that a player does not need to own every objective they release, which is understandable. Not sure there's any way around this.

I think the reason for it is that, right now, there is absolutely no advantage to being blue player. All the advantages are on red’s side (last choice on objectives, second deployment). I guess blue gets choice of table side, but that doesn’t mean nearly as much.

Allowing blue to dictate the battle a bit more makes the choice meaningful. Also, the objectives you bring will depend on your list so if everyone has the same objectives, it means everyone is running similar lists which is a different problem I think.

Yea.... every game I have played has been vastly different and we only have 4 of each. You will not see the same results every time, so this isn't an issue. But I do wish you would just draw 3 out of an ever growing deck of cards. I plan on playing with all the cards because I like the greater variety. 

9 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I plan on playing with all the cards because I like the greater variety

Yeah, I would definitely do this in our casual/game night games as well. Should be a lot of fun. Building the deck is part of the Tournament Regs anyway.

I dont mind the rule as there are definitely certain cards I dont want to play with, and it could be strategic to either bring or not bring things based on your lists or maybe bring cards as counters to other people's lists. I do see that there will probably be a smaller range of cards played but if everyone likes to use the same stuff, then everyone will be happier I guess.

But I think the main reason for the deck building rule is so that people will buy the new objective packs. 

Because say you dont like the hostile conditions card. But you see whats in the priority supplies pack coming out and maybe you dont necessarily like the conditions card in it but its more favorable for you than hostile conditions- you'll go and buy that pack in order for your least favorite card to not be in the deck.

In the end, this is just for tournaments- if you are just a casual player with your friends and there are cards you all dont like, then the simple solution is to just not play with them if you won't have fun with it. But if you are playing tourneys, probably best to have experience with playing all the cards.

Off topic a little, but I think it would be fun for maybe a more casual tournament, where the TO would randomly pull out the objective, deployment, and condition cards for each round of the tournament and then everyone would play that round using those cards. Then the next round, the TO pulls from the remaining cards. It would be cool to see the results from something like that, and whoever won the tourney would deserve it for being able to adapt and win. Plus, more of the cards would be played.

1 hour ago, Jman444 said:

Off topic a little, but I think it would be fun for maybe a more casual tournament, where the TO would randomly pull out the objective, deployment, and condition cards for each round of the tournament and then everyone would play that round using those cards. Then the next round, the TO pulls from the remaining cards. It would be cool to see the results from something like that, and whoever won the tourney would deserve it for being able to adapt and win. Plus, more of the cards would be played.

This is pretty much how Runewars works.  FFG releases an updated Tournament Regs every "season" that dictates which deployment and objective cards are legal for that season.  The TO is supposed to use those cards to determine the Objective+Deployment for each round randomly.

I had thought they might do the same thing with Legion.

1 minute ago, NeonWolf said:

This is pretty much how Runewars works.  FFG releases an updated Tournament Regs every "season" that dictates which deployment and objective cards are legal for that season.  The TO is supposed to use those cards to determine the Objective+Deployment for each round randomly.

I had thought they might do the same thing with Legion.

Legion seems to be going the opposite way. Thus far, all Operations have set layouts for each round which I think lends to a more immersive experience as it feels like a cohesive storyline rather than just random battles. 

I like the way this is written.  While we may see one or two cards fall by the wayside, only requiring the players to bring four of each allows someone who only has the core set battle cards to play.  That means someone picking up the game a couple years from now can play in a tournament right away if they want to.

8 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

Battle Lines is so boring ...

I have actually enjoyed the games of Legion I've played with this since the other three deployments seem to make the game play lengthwise on the table, between the short edges.  That may just be due to being a fan of the T-47 so I like having the extra frontage to flank my opponent...

11 minutes ago, NukeMaster said:

I assumed limited visibility would be the first to go.

Of course not if you're playing rebels: the empire has a clear range advantage with the 4+ range mortars, dlts readily available, etc... 

Furthermore, when scout troopers will be around, even the empire may want to have a bit of long range respite in order to rush forwards with range 2 weapons of doom