Sign in to follow this  
Veve7

New Investigators

What Investigators do you think will come next? What abilities, deckbuilding rules,stats and signature cards do you think they will have?  What do you think  about a expansion  with only player cards?

We don't know what the next expansion will be so we are talking 100% speculation.  I am on board, but I will more be answering who I want to see.  Also I am no game designer so I will talk in broad strokes.

First off, Silas, Norman and Marie would all be perfect for a Cthulhu themed campaign.  I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Outside of that:

Lily - I would really like to see how they handle a Mystic/Guardian.  I want to see a deck that takes both of these but doesn't use/rely on weapons or combat spells.  I wouldn't mind seeing non-firearm weapons either in there.

Kate - I just really like Kate.  She would be a seeker with an emphasis on Science cards.  Kind of like Finn and illicit, but subtly different.  I would like to see her flux device do more than just chase enemies away.  Science is kind of lame these days all it has is healing and Strange solution so I would like ot see that pool increased.

I would like to see Gloria.  Now I am not sure if Gloria would be a Seeker, a Mystic or a Survivor, but I like the author angle.  Its kinda meta.

Hank - not sure how they would handle his, "if its dead, it can't scare me" mechanic but would like to see that.  He would be a good Guardian with a secondary Survivor class.

I have always had a thing for Luke as well, he always seems so underused.  Maybe we can get a dreamlands based campaign with him in it.  He screams mystic to me but I am at a loss for how he would be built outside of that. 

McGlen - Out of all the "kill them" characters, Mike was always my favorite (although Zoey has increased in my estimation since she was released in the Dunwich Legacy).  I see him as a combination of Guardian and Rogue but how it combines and mixes I am open to.

I also wouldn't mind some more new characters.  While FFG has upped its diversity count, the current investigator pool is still very stilted.

I would prefer expansions with just scenarios (stand alone scenarios) over expansions with just player cards.  I wouldn't mind pre built starter player decks, but I wouldn't want new cards to be in there (although they would do that). 

I will speculate as well, and as previously mentioned, this is more just a wish list of who Inwould like to see.

Preston Fairmont - I see him as a Survivor or Rogue, but not really sure what other deckbuilding requirements you could tack on.

Jaqueline Fine - Mystic/Seeker possibly? I think she would have interesting ability and elder sign ability.

As previously mentioned, Luke, Gloria, an For Hank are also characters i would like to see.

2 hours ago, Somatose Boy said:

I will speculate as well, and as previously mentioned, this is more just a wish list of who Inwould like to see.

Preston Fairmont - I see him as a Survivor or Rogue, but not really sure what other deckbuilding requirements you could tack on.

Jaqueline Fine - Mystic/Seeker possibly? I think she would have interesting ability and elder sign ability.

As previously mentioned, Luke, Gloria, an For Hank are also characters i would like to see.

I could see Preston as a straight Rogue primary with a secondary Survivor (we don't have that combo yet).  He could also have some play around Items, but that is a very broad category so it would be more of a discount/special ability than a deck building option.  Thematically, he always struck me as a less cool Jenny Barnes.  I would really like to see a novella on him to help turn my head around a bit on him as I always want to like investigators more.

7 minutes ago, Jobu said:

I could see Preston as a straight Rogue primary with a secondary Survivor (we don't have that combo yet).  He could also have some play around Items, but that is a very broad category so it would be more of a discount/special ability than a deck building option.  Thematically, he always struck me as a less cool Jenny Barnes.  I would really like to see a novella on him to help turn my head around a bit on him as I always want to like investigators more.

Preston as a rogue, with something like Marie's deckbuilding restriction might work. Up to 5 lvl 0 Survivor and/or Seeker cards (the Seeker representing his eduction), and he can also have Fortune, or Charm, or Trick cards. From the Investigators of Arkham book, there was just enough story to get me intrigued about him and I wish they would expand upon it. Same with Jaqueline.

Edited by Somatose Boy

Depends on the adventure.  Whenever the Cthulhu adventure gets released, I would expect Amanda Sharpe to be the Seeker and Silas Marsh to be the Survivor, due to their backstories. (though Silas appears in a book as a promo soon)

I think that Diana Stanley the Redeemed Cultist should be our level 0-5 Rogue & level 0-2 Survivor.  Her character is a member of the Silver Twilight Lodge - having just become aware of their actual motives and actions - and is moving with the intent on undermining the organization and bringing them down (per The Investigators of Arkham).  I think this behavior is both Survivor & Rogue.

For abilities, if we quickly look at her previous 4 appearances:

DianaStanley.pngSL15-investigator-stanley.pngEH01_Sheets_Character-05.jpg

mad25_investigator_diana.png

Stats

• 2 Will
  • 4 Knowledge
  • 2 Fight
  • 4 Agility
  • 9 Stamina
  • 5 Sanity

Abilities:

• +1 to you Investigation actions while there is an enemy at your location.  +2 instead if one of them is a Cultist.
  • ES: +2 to if there is 1 or more locations/monsters with Doom on them.  If you succeed, you may draw a card.

Her Signature card could be The Perfect Outfit - (1-Will, 1-Agility)  Asset.  Clothing.  Fast.  When you put this into play, you may disengage with all enemies and move to a connecting location, if able.  +1 to Agility.  (I think she owned a clothing store.)

Her Weakness will might be Memory of What I've Done.  It will be some unpleasantness in her threat area.  Maybe preventing her from modifying her skill values (by discarding cards or paying resources) until she successfully investigates.

I see Diana more as Mystic 0-5, Rogue 0-2, as she is a Silver Twilight Acolyte, so she has some mystical knowledge, and she has turned against them secretly, thus Rogue.

Edited by Somatose Boy

I expect new investigators to much more complicated in deck construction.  I can see Diana as 0-5 Occult Cards, 0-3 Rogue, 10 0-1 Mystic or Survivor cards.  Or something of that nature. 

It depends on what the new cycle is. I want Patrice and/or Gloria.  I think it's possible we might see Dreamlands. If that's the case, We'll likely get Luke (mystic), Carolyn (guardian), Amanda Sharpe (seeker), Bob Jenkins (rogue), Gloria (Survivor/Seeker).

I would prefer to have these 5:

Patrice (Mystic)

Gloria (Survivor)

Kate (Seeker)

Darrell (Rogue)

Carson/Danielle (guardian)

I think Gloria is the most interesting of these to consider. She could go so many different ways. I would expect her to either be a Survivor with Insight cards, a Seeker with Fortune cards, or a Mystic with some combo of those.

Yeah, I think Amanda could go either way. She is very much tied to Cthulhu, but I believe she was released in Eldritch Horror with the Dreamlands expansion. I guess it depends on if we're getting a Cthulhu specific cycle.

I feel like Patrice's best guess would have been Carcosa, so now I'm worried we won't see her for ages. I like the artsy types. Patrice was added in the Innsmouth expansion for Arkham Horror the board game, but her background story is not tied to any particular story arc or ancient one. The only mention it gets is "The Watcher" which could be a reference to The Watcher Out of Time (?) which is a Derleth story that I haven't read, so I don't know who/what it is about. Her Investigators of Arkham Horror story reminds me a lot of  Yog, but perhaps could be Azathoth as well. 

Any ideas what "The Watcher" might be? 

The only other thing I can think of is non-Lovecraftian and refers to the Watchers in the Book of Enoch. I doubt that's related though.

Edited by Soakman

I don't consider characters to be spoilers, but

Monterey Jack was listed as a possible investigator in the campaign book for The Forgotten Age at the end of the prologue.

which means Ursula and Leo will hopefully have some competition incoming sooner rather than later.

I hope the next cycle is the Cthulhu-cycle! :P

Guardian: Lily Chen

Seeker: Amanda Sharpe

Mystic: Patrice Hathaway

Survivor: Silas Marsh

Rogue: Trish Scarborough* / Tony Morgan

But I am also hoping for a Dreamlands-cycle... >.<

Guardian: Carolyn Fern

Seeker: Kate Winthrop

Mystic: Luke Robinson

Survivor: Jacqueline Fine*

Rogue: Preston Fairmont*

*Guesstimates, leaning slightly to personal desire. XD

Edited by Val_Varis
Format edit

I don't want Diana Stanley to be in the next cycle.  (Well, I guess I don't not want her there too)  I want her as the next novella character.  From "The Investigators of Arkham," she is the character I most want to read more about.

As for a Cthulhu-cycle, I don't want him anytime soon.  I want it to be as brutal as possible, and for that we'll need a huge card-pool to have any sort of chance.:D  I suppose Azathoth should be more brutal, but as Cthulhu gets top billing, he can take the "scariest AO" title.

Also, I reject your conclusions!  I mean, they seem pretty well founded, but they're not who I want to see or where I want to go, so...

I'd really like a cycle set in Northern Africa, say Under the Pyramids, but I expect with the GenCon & Arkham Nights side mission we won't return there for awhile.

19 hours ago, Soakman said:

It depends on what the new cycle is. I want Patrice and/or Gloria.  I think it's possible we might see Dreamlands. If that's the case, We'll likely get Luke (mystic), Carolyn (guardian), Amanda Sharpe (seeker), Bob Jenkins (rogue), Gloria (Survivor/Seeker).

I would prefer to have these 5:

Patrice (Mystic)

Gloria (Survivor)

Kate (Seeker)

Darrell (Rogue)

Carson/Danielle (guardian)

@Soakman, I assume that last one to be Daniela Reyes.  My query is, what's your reasoning for her being a Guardian?  You've proven yourself to be more knowledgeable on these forms that I have, so I'm not putting you down, just curious.  I think she'll be Survivor.  My reasoning is that I've only noticed characters' art on cards they can play.  I believe that she's on at least one of Flare & "Not Without a Fight!"

AHC03_115.jpgAHC16_272.jpg

Edited by Duciris
formating error

Yes, I did mean Daniela Reyes. To be honest, I know very little about her. She doesn't have an Investigators of Arkham story because she is so new. My only thought for why she might be a guardian is because her Eldritch bio ends with " Something is going on, and she is going to find out what." 

Survivors tend to get swept up in the action but seldom run towards it. Daniela may even have a bit of mystic in her. The same bio has her setting out a glass of water to catch evil spirits which plays heavily into the sort of cultural deep knowledge that comes through oral traditions. 

I'm not sure either of those ladies are her. Her body type (so far) has been closer to the Flare artwork whereas although the wrench is fitting, Not Without a Fight looks more like Rita to me (and Rita fits the survivor faction type like a glove). She could be a survivor, but the very nature of using a glass of water to capture evil spirits is protective in nature, which goes along with a guardian mentality. That's just one interpretation though and we don't have a lot to go on.

Also, Wendy is notorious for being on Streetwise (which she can't use, but I also don't think it looks much like her, but maybe as close as the survivor cards you mention and Daniela). 

Just my thoughts. I could see her as anything really, her eldritch stats are 3's across the board with the exception of 'observation' which doesn't really exist in this game, but could be a parallel to intellect. I do not expect her to be a Seeker or Rogue, but the other 3 factions are all in the running really.

Edited by Soakman

In regards to Not Without a Fight, that probably is Rita.  It looks a lot like her new art in Eldritch Horror.  Rita's backstory probably makes her base class Survivor as well.

11 minutes ago, C2K said:

In regards to Not Without a Fight, that probably is Rita.  It looks a lot like her new art in Eldritch Horror.  Rita's backstory probably makes her base class Survivor as well.

I would honestly love to see Rita in this game. She feels almost like a survivor rogue with all of her track backstory. Maybe a survivor with access to Trick/developed/composure/gambit cards or some combo of those. If Gloria is not the survivor, Rita is probably my 2nd most wanted survivor archetype.

I'd love to see Wilson Richards, the Handyman. Probably a survivor with access to tricks of some kind. Insight 0-2 and Trick 0-2. Just have to balance it.
I really have no reason for it except I just like that character (from the other games)

Edited by Rutan
Correct some mistakes

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, C2K said:

That could be.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, Soakman said:

I would honestly love to see Rita in this game. She feels almost like a survivor rogue with all of her track backstory. Maybe a survivor with access to Trick/developed/composure/gambit cards or some combo of those. If Gloria is not the survivor, Rita is probably my 2nd most wanted survivor archetype.

Yeah, I'd love to see Rita too.  My only experience with her is from MoM2, and it's essential: "She's fast.  Want to know her backstory?  She trained in track.  Turns out: she's fast."  I'd love to get more depth on her.  Like say, a novella.

I assume someone here has read her Investigators of Arkham entry.  Any good?  I am not the avid reader that I wish I were.  If the book were available in audio format I would have cleared it in the first week, and a half-dozen times since then.

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

That could be.

I assume someone here has read her Investigators of Arkham entry.  Any good?  I am not the avid reader that I wish I were.  If the book were available in audio format I would have cleared it in the first week, and a half-dozen times since then.

Her story in Investigators of Arkham, without giving away spoilers, is that she is African-American, from the South, going to college in the North on a track scholarship, roommates with Amanda Sharpe who has nightmares, and finally, she runs fast!

It's one of the better stories, even if it is a far-fetched one.

There's actually a novel (not novella or investigators story) that features her and Amanda as they deal with an outbreak of ghouls and a cult that nearly kill both of them. I actually liked it quite a bit. 

Book title mentioned: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-fiction/products/ghouls-of-miskatonic/

Again, I thought it was good enough. I liked it. Would I have read it if I wasn't already aware of the setting and characters? Probably not. But I'm not 100% sure the novels are canon or are explicitly sources of info for the card game. The novellas and Investigators books certainly are, but this book was available prior to all of those including the card game itself, and Rita or Amanda have yet to make and appearance.

Edited by Soakman
Found Book to include

Eldritch Horror Bio:

Clocks do not lie. In the past, people said hurtful things to Rita. They threatened her. But since she started running competitively, Rita has only cared about the clock. Most of the time, it says that Rita is faster than the rest. It says she is stronger and has trained harder. Now she competes around the world and has attracted some unwanted attention. The prejudices of certain esoteric cults cannot tolerate her successes. They plan to make an example of her. But they will have to catch her, and the clock says they cannot.

I like the Arkham Horror board game bio better:

Growing up in the South, Rita has often had to fight discrimination in one form or another. Although her family was poor, she worked hard and received a scholarship to Miskatonic University, where she joined the track and field team. Now, she may have to fight for her life.

Someone is after her. That much she's sure of. She has no idea who it is or why they want her, but there have been several strange men hanging around her dorm. Last week, her roommate was assaulted while wearing Rita's jacket, and Rita feels certain that it was a case of mistaken identity.

Today, Rita spent several hours trying to convince the police to do something, but the Sheriff says that his hands are tied without more evidence. Still, while running away might be the best way to avoid this premonition of personal doom hanging over her, that's never been Rita's style. Whether her stalkers are members of the Klu Klux Klan or something even more sinister, she's going to face them head on, the same way she's been facing the world all her life.