Crawfskeezen

Trying out these Snowtroopers

I'm throwing together a list to try out my new Snowtroopers.

Darth Vader (200)

- Force Reflexes (15), Sabre Throw (10)

Snowtroopers (48)

- Snowtrooper (12), Flame Trooper (20)

Stormtroopers (44)

- Stormtrooper (11), Concussion Grenades (5)

Stormtroopers (44)

- Stormtrooper, DLT-19 (24), Stormtrooper (11), Targeting Scopes (6)

Stormtroopers (44)

Stormtroopers (44)

74-Z Speederbikes (90)

74-Z Speederbikes (90)

My thinking is this: Vader, the Snowtroopers and the grenade armed Stormtrooper squad are the primary advancing element of the army moving forward to secure/deny objectives. The Speederbikes provide a mobile firebase (against infantry and armour) while trying not to die historic on the fury road. Then the 3 DLT-19 Stormtrooper units fill a few roles, 1) as supplemental anti-armour fire, 2) as the follow up up assault force, 3) as area denial for objectives in their zones of control, and 4) the more likely use, as firebase element, using their DLT-19s to effect at up to range 4 along with their precision scopes to allow 4 dice to re-roll with an aim token.

I did have some other ideas surrounding the list. Swapping the bikes (and a couple other upgrades or a unit for an AT-ST). Then perhaps in turn using Veers instead of Vader to free up points and help the AT-ST. My main issue here is twofold. Primarily, Vader is a monster. He's gonna saunter forward with a dodge token and dare other units to shoot him. If the enemy doesn't shoot him, eventually he will get close enough to re-enact the closing scene from Rogue One, if the enemy does shoot him then the Snowtroopers may have their day.

Alternatively I could scale down on having so many upgrades in the individual units for sake of taking more units (realistically of Stormtroopers) and thus have more activations (eg: drop 4 Stormtrooper mini upgrades for another unit).

As far as the Snowtroopers go, how have you been running them? Has success been seen with multiple units of them in the early going?

I like the list as it is but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I think Snowies are best as a larger unit with Impact Granades (I also like grappling hooks to get over buildings etc if needed). Then anything in range 1 is in big trouble.

In this list I would drop extra troop (and maybe scopes) from DLT units to pay to bulk the Snowies.

24 minutes ago, Deuzerre said:

I share the feelings on dlt squads: the dlt is what does damage, not the squad. No real point in paying for the squad.

While the dlt does do most of the heavy lifting, there is something to be said for a squad of troopers that are expendable. I often have a naked squad to pad my activations and to send to their deaths. If you rush them in to objectives, they get torn apart, but that's less fire on your more important units. Or, if there's a less contested objective that's away from the main fighting, it's no big loss to leave them on the other side of the board to lock that one down, freeing up your heavy hitters.

I don't disagree with cheap objective grabbers.... I just think if you are buying "extra troops" the Snowies will get more use than DLT squads.

For reference my 'similar' list is:

Vader: Reflexes, Throw, Choke

Snowies: Flamethrower, +1 guy, Impact Grenades, Grappling hooks

Stormies: DLT  x4

Speederbike: Comms x 2

= 790

(maybe add grenades for some DLT squads - depends on if I want a 'bid')

Could alternatively drop Comms to 'upgrade' DLT to Snowie squad if preferred

6 hours ago, Dave Grant said:

I don't disagree with cheap objective grabbers.... I just think if you are buying "extra troops" the Snowies will get more use than DLT squads.

For reference my 'similar' list is:

Vader: Reflexes, Throw, Choke

Snowies: Flamethrower, +1 guy, Impact Grenades, Grappling hooks

Stormies: DLT  x4

Speederbike: Comms x 2

= 790

(maybe add grenades for some DLT squads - depends on if I want a 'bid')

Could alternatively drop Comms to 'upgrade' DLT to Snowie squad if preferred

I know adding one white die doesn't seem like a good investment, but it does significantly increase your chances to give suppression if you split fire, plus it's one more wound before your dlt goes down  I haven't played this list more than a couple games so far, but I loved it and had great success so far:

General Veers [95 Points]: Commanding Presence, Esteemed Leader

Snowtroopers [85 Points]: Flametrooper, Impact Grenades, Snowtrooper

3 X Stormtroopers [79 Points]: DLT-19,                    Stormtrooper

Stormtroopers [68 Points]: DLT-19

Stormtroopers [44 Points]

74-Z Speeder Bikes [90 Points]

++ Total: [799 Points] ++

I know it's Veers, not Vader, but I like him a lot more than Vader. Just fits my personal playstyle better and frees up a ton of points.

Let's just count it like this: What do you intend to do with a squad of troopers with DLT-19?
I use them as a range advantage, armored vehicle "prickling" (especially finishing off), and split fire tool. I also use them as a way to make stormtrooper squads have actual firepower: Red dice with surge to hit.

What does adding a 11 points trooper to this squad do?
Increase its toughness, increase firepower.

Now, increasing toughness isn't that great honestly. Stormtroopers are already tough with red defence dice, and 3 HP before your DLT, your biggest amount of firepower from the squad, dies is still a hard amount to kill. Instead of 4 squads of Stormtroopers with DLTs with 1 more HP each, I prefer to have 4 squads of 5 men with DLT and a squad of 4 as backup, additional target, and aggressive that's supported by the other squads.

Your DLT squads have a range advantage and do not need, at least at first, to dash forwards. Therefore, they are less prone to being shot at (you have other tools for that in your belt) you do not need the additional HP.

And additional firepower... Well... 1 white dice, even with surge to hit, is kinda bad.

I'm pretty happy with 73 point snowtrooper units with a Flamethrower and Impact Grenades.  I'm not sure if the 85 point maxed out unit is worth it for the extra guy.  I will say since I added 2 squads to my lists I've started actively aiming to put the Rapid Reinforcments condition into play.

1 hour ago, LunarSol said:

I'm pretty happy with 73 point snowtrooper units with a Flamethrower and Impact Grenades.  I'm not sure if the 85 point maxed out unit is worth it for the extra guy.  I will say since I added 2 squads to my lists I've started actively aiming to put the Rapid Reinforcments condition into play.

The extra guy is there because it allows the flamer to survive a bit longer on focus fire against the squad. Snowtroopers lose a lot of intereste once their flamer is dead because it's the main source of firepower.

1 minute ago, Deuzerre said:

The extra guy is there because it allows the flamer to survive a bit longer on focus fire against the squad. Snowtroopers lose a lot of intereste once their flamer is dead because it's the main source of firepower.

Sure, but that's pretty true of every unit in the game almost by definition.  The heavy weapon dies and all you have is the unit leader and his single die hoping to crit through cover.  That doesn't mean you want to be cutting a DLT from a unit to put one more wound in front of your flametroopers.

I would add the extra trooper to the Snowtroopers as well. They are marching front-and-centre with Vader, and the Flametrooper will likely be the most feared target after the Dark Lord. Definitely protect them with some added bulk!