DXCrazytrain

Impatient FO main is impatient

So why do we have to wait for wave 2 for FO and Resistance? Most Wanted started scum with only 4 ships.

Was there an answer to this that I missed?

The cynical answer I keep coming back to is that they want FO and Resistance players to also buy one of the 3 conversion kits so they have something to play until wave 2.

Full confession, I'm just being whiny and grumpy because I have to wait and I'm about as patient as the Emperor is forgiving.

My guess is since most of the new ships are stronger and have been dominant/present in the recent meta they wanted to help showcase the forgotten old ships. Combine that with the unpopularity of the new movies and this is a way to get most of the Star Wars fans back on board. 

Now if they come out with Clone Wars factions I'm super on board haha.

I would guess we don't have to wait long.  In an interview, an FFG employee involved with distribution said something like, "We sat around a table and figured out how frequently we can produce releases, and we are sticking to that number."

I expect going forward the "Wave" Style releases will be essentially eliminated or become few and far between.  Look at the way Legion is releasing.  They've been consistently getting one or two new products every few weeks.  Since X-wing is going also apparently to a "your faction will get all usable upgrade cards" model like Legion, I think this way is more sustainable.  For example, if you only play Empire, you don't need to buy the monthly rebel and scum releases.  Players who still want every release might feel the pain, though...

56 minutes ago, Engine25 said:

I would guess we don't have to wait long.  In an interview, an FFG employee involved with distribution said something like, "We sat around a table and figured out how frequently we can produce releases, and we are sticking to that number."

I expect going forward the "Wave" Style releases will be essentially eliminated or become few and far between.  Look at the way Legion is releasing.  They've been consistently getting one or two new products every few weeks.  Since X-wing is going also apparently to a "your faction will get all usable upgrade cards" model like Legion, I think this way is more sustainable.  For example, if you only play Empire, you don't need to buy the monthly rebel and scum releases.  Players who still want every release might feel the pain, though...

Um for legion do you mean a single release of 1 commander and one infantry unit since launch?

March 22nd release we are now may 22nd and have had a single infantry and commander released... I need to know what extra cool products you have gotten every one or two weeks?

48 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Um for legion do you mean a single release of 1 commander and one infantry unit since launch?

March 22nd release we are now may 22nd and have had a single infantry and commander released... I need to know what extra cool products you have gotten every one or two weeks?

Oh maybe it's 4 weeks? The FLGS owner just announced he has received the next two packs. 

That's 2 packs a month since release. Faster than they've ever released miniatures, admitting that it's been two months. 

2 hours ago, GILLIES291 said:

Combine that with the unpopularity of the new movies and this is a way to get most of the Star Wars fans back on board. 

Unpopularity? 

Tell that to the $3 BILLION dollars that TFA and TLJ have grossed in the box office and the 83% average score on metacritic. 

It's totally fine if people don't like the movies, but at least understand how the movies are actually viewed, not just how a very vocal minority feel about them. 

32 minutes ago, Sekac said:

Unpopularity? 

Tell that to the $3 BILLION dollars that TFA and TLJ have grossed in the box office and the 83% average score on metacritic. 

It's totally fine if people don't like the movies, but at least understand how the movies are actually viewed, not just how a very vocal minority feel about them. 

Agreed.

I love star wars I loved the originals and I very much enjoyed the new movies (will change to loved them over time).

Some people just hate them because they are not the originals that they have idolized and put up on a pedestal with the power of time to forget the flaws of those movies. If you think the original movies are perfection in cinema you are flat out wrong.

I'm irked not knowing how long it'll be until the Resistance/FO stuff is out.  Now, I'm only mildly irked for the time being, since I don't know timelines.  It didn't take long for new Legion content to come out after the initial release, I understand.  I might be wrong, and mistaking things I've seen on the FFG main page.  If it's like 2E in September, but a month and a half later we've got FO/Res, I'll be ok.  If I have to wait until 2019 for Poe and TIE Silencers, I'll be pissed to all get out.

[redacted for error]

Edited by theBitterFig

@Captain Lackwit beat me to it. I bet they plan on including some new stuff that ties into the Resistance TV show (which comes out this fall doesn't it?) but can't announce it yet because of non-disclosure agreements with the Mouse. Otherwise, they would just do like they have done in the past (with other games) and announce wave 1 and wave 2 at the same time, but with different release dates. 

Either that or its some lame reason like the graphic designers have been too busy and haven't finalized the designs for the FO and Resistance conversion boxes yet, so they don't actually have any pictures of product to show off yet. 

Edited by Herowannabe

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Well I was gonna' link my resistance thread and say, "Here's why we're waiting"- because they definitely want to release it alongside some brand new sequel trilogy content to really push it out.

56 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

@Captain Lackwit beat me to it. I bet they plan on including some new stuff that ties into the Resistance TV show (which comes out this fall doesn't it?) but can't announce it yet because of non-disclosure agreements with the Mouse. Otherwise, they would just do like they have done in the past (with other games) and announce wave 1 and wave 2 at the same time, but with different release dates. 

Either that or its some lame reason like the graphic designers have been too busy and haven't finalized the designs for the FO and Resistance conversion boxes yet, so they don't actually have any pictures of product to show off yet. 

I can see that. I would rather they just add a Resistance A-Wing from TLJ and get it into my greedy little hands.

I can wait for Resistance cartoon stuff to make sure it actually accurately represents the ships in the show.

11 hours ago, Engine25 said:

yeah but rushing releases is what broke x-wing 1.0, and to many of us it appears that putting speed of release over game balance or design was a business decision which is being repeated now. I think the OP is dead on with it being a money grab.  they want us all to buy in blindly before we even know how the factions play or how much the conversion will cost.  remember that the stated goal of this rework is not simply rebalancing but also to give a unique feel and playstyle to each faction, so it's reasonable to assume that a factions current strengths will be refocused and rebels/imps will have their strengths split into the new factions. for example first order may end up being the swarm faction while imperials end up with more aces style play, or vice versa, and scum may end up being the utility or regen faction, etc.

that's a lot of uncertainty as to what you're getting with no idea when you will get it, and to me seems way less sustainable than transparency

5 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

thats almost certainly true.  And/Or the other likelyhood, which is that they haven't figured out what to do yet and they are waiting to see how many players bolt when they see how expensive it is to convert.   if players largely follow along their projected sales paths, then they will probably sell a 50 set for each faction and a 50 epic conversion for each faction.  if they lose a lot of players/sales they might jump back in with reasonably priced entry points for the disenfranchised players, similar to the way games workshop dodged bankrupcy a few years ago with better starter sets.  either way we will likely find out when the resistance show goes live

11 hours ago, Sekac said:

Unpopularity?  Tell that to the $3 BILLION dollars that TFA and TLJ have grossed in the box office and the 83% average score on metacritic...

Lwy.gif

Let's not pretend that box office gross is any indication of popularity shall we?  And let's also not pretend that there isn't an enormous divide between critical reviews and public opinion.  The sequels are incredibly divisive - probably more so than the prequels, in all honesty.

Edited by FTS Gecko
for the sake of clarity

35 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Let's not pretend that box offic egross is any measure of quality shall we?  And let's also not pretend that there isn't an enormous divide between critical reviews and public opinion.  The sequels are incredibly divisive - probably more so than the prequels, in all honesty.

You're moving the goalposts.  The metric being addressed was "popularity", not "quality".  You can argue the quality of the sequels all you want - there's no denying that their popularity and commercial success.

2 hours ago, direweasel said:

You're moving the goalposts.  The metric being addressed was "popularity", not "quality".  You can argue the quality of the sequels all you want - there's no denying that their popularity and commercial success.

No, I'm not moving the goalposts at all, I'm disputing the assertation that box office gross + critical reception = popularity when it clearly does not.  However, I have rephrased for the sake of clarity.

All the box office gross shows is that a lot of people went to see the film (apart from in China, obviously) - it doesn't give any indication of what they actually thought of it.  And there is an incredible gulf between critical reaction and public opinion.  Take that vaunted "83% approval rating on metacritic" @Sekac cited above.  He fails to mention that at the same time, the average user score on metacritic is a much more lowly 4.6, with a roughly even split between positive and negative reviews.  Coming as it does from a much wider pool viewers, that is a much more accurrate indicator of popularity, and - as I pointed out above - shows that the sequels are certainly not overwhelmingly popular, but instead incredibly divisive.

Edited by FTS Gecko

As far as the movie maker is concerned, if a lot of people saw the movie, it was a popular, successful movie.  The fact that all the spinoff merchandising still sells like hotcakes is also a plus.  That's really all they care about.  The mouse is most definitely getting the money he gave to Lucas back by the bushel.

As far as people being happy about it, they're in an impossible position.  I think Lucas recognized the same thing after the prequels, which is why he categorically refused to do more, and eventually sold the franchise.  Too many people have ridiculously unrealistic expectations about the movies and want them to be something they never were, but what they built up in their childhoods.  Episode 7 was too formulaic and a copy of 4, so they made 8 a departure from the past, and people got ticked about that too.  They literally can't win.  I thought 8 was good.  I didn't think it was perfect, and there were aspects of it I didn't like, and directorial decisions I wasn't 100% behind.  But I thought it was good, have it at home, and have watched it several times.

But again, that's not really relevant in the long run.  What is relevant to the movie maker is that I went to 8, bought the DVD, will be going to see Solo this weekend, and still intend to buy a lot of Star Wars themed stuff, including this game.  And when 9 comes out, I'll be going to it, and I have a hunch you will too.

Edited by direweasel

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

All the box office gross shows is that a lot of people went to see the film 

A longer way of saying popular, true. 

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

And there is an incredible gulf between critical reaction and public opinion.  Take that vaunted "83% approval rating on metacritic" @Sekac cited above.  He fails to mention that at the same time, the average user score on metacritic is a much more lowly 4.6, with a roughly even split between positive and negative reviews.  Coming as it does from a much wider pool viewers, that is a much more accurrate indicator of popularity, and - as I pointed out above - shows that the sequels are certainly not overwhelmingly popular, but instead incredibly divisive.

User reviews, especially for a star wars movie, are irrelevant. 

Star wars fans are the absolute last group of people I'd ask if a new Star Wars movie is good. The bar was set at "one of most iconic and influential trilogies of all time" and anything short of that makes the new movies a disappointment. Judge them on their own merits? NEVER! 

Secondly, the problem with user reviews, is the quantity of reviews spikes based on its "divisiveness" (which is not actually the opposite of popular,  btw), whereas critics do what they do for a living and will review it honestly regardless. There's no "let's take this PoS down, everybody trash it online!" or "I love star wars and I'll defend every installment to the hilt because of it" component to critic reviews. 

It's hard to account for bias, but user reviews are far too biased to be meaningful. 

Right - another excellent point.  Voluntary reviews should not be conflated to being a scientific poll.  Only people with really strong feelings on a movie will tend to bother to go fill out an online review.  I've only ever done it once.  Of all the people who saw the film, I'd be surprised if 10% of them actually went to metacritic to voice their opinion one way or the other.

Edited by direweasel

17 hours ago, Sithborg said:

I am assuming Wave 2 is going to be about 3 months after the Wave 1 release. I believe them when they say they are going to be aggressive in the releases. 

Aggreed. I'm going full Resistance when they drop, and I'm fully expecting a Christmas release.

Regarding popularity, I think that it did pretty well with dvd/blu-ray sales too, being at the top of sales the first 2 weeks of its release. Since people buying it have probably already saw the movie, I think it's a good indication that there is a lot of people that liked the movie. (just took a look to this site, and it seems it's still in 4th position in the Top seller chart http://www.blu-ray.com/)

As far as user review on all those site, I really don't care about them (not just for Star Wars, for everything). Just like direweasel said (beat me to it :P ), it's mostly people with really strong feelings (good or bad) that go there (or people that feel the need to share their opinion), and I think that it's the natural human behavior to be more inclined to give a review if it was not to our taste. Say I go to a restaurant and after paying, I can volontarily gives a review about the service and food quality. If it was to my taste but nothing extravagant, I probably won't bother taking the time to fill it, I'll just pay and go and probably return at a later date. But if I found the service particularily bad, I'll be more inclined to take the time to express myself and fill up the review.

I think it's funny how people with strong feelings about something (good or bad) wants other people to share them, as if it would validate their opinon as the 'good' one. There is no good or bad opinion about art. 

Edited by Red Castle