a4rino

Going mono faction in 2.0

I'm thinking about getting back into the game with 2.0, and I want to convert over only my imperial ships and be just an imperial player. If I get 1 core + 1 imperial conversion kit, will I get all the upgrades from the first wave? Or will there be upgrades exclusive to the other faction conversion kits (besides faction-only uniques, of course)? Has FFG clarified this?

2 minutes ago, a4rino said:

I'm thinking about getting back into the game with 2.0, and I want to convert over only my imperial ships and be just an imperial player. If I get 1 core + 1 imperial conversion kit, will I get all the upgrades from the first wave? Or will there be upgrades exclusive to the other faction conversion kits (besides faction-only uniques, of course)? Has FFG clarified this?

The scuttlebutt at present is that things like the Starviper are done and dusted in 2nd Edition. You won't need a Scum/Rebel/Imp/First Order/Resistance expansion for a single upgrade card to use elsewhere. 

They've stated that playing mono-faction should be possible without buying into the other factions (with the exception that S&V has to buy a core set, which has really nothing for them outside of the damage deck, lined rulers, and extra tokens).

We are not entirely certain how true this will be yet. There are some cards that look like they can work for multiple factions but which have not been explicitly stated for more than one. A couple of the astromechs, as the main example, and Maul (S&V only with caveat that Rebels can use him if they have Ezra Bridger in the squad).

19 minutes ago, Icelom said:

they also said not all upgrades might be available for all factions at once, you might have to wait for the next wave for an upgrade.

I see. That's a rather important distinction, but nothing that can't be solved by patience and/or short-term borrowing from friends. Thanks for clarifying that.

7 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

I hadn’t heard that, where did they say it?

I haven't heard them specifically mention it for X-Wing (though I have heard others say it) but that is what they have stated for Legion. The upgrade cards will come "within reasonable time" to every faction. And for Legion they appear to not be releasing everything at one but dropping new releases every few weeks. So we won't know until we find out :)

What everyone else said, but I'll add that regardless of what actually happens, if I were you I would start out with just the core and 1 imperial conversion set (and the TIE Reaper, of course), and then see how it plays out. 

Edited by Herowannabe

10 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

What everyone else said, but I'll add that regardless of what actually happens, if I were you I would start out with just the core and 1 imperial conversion set (and the TIE Reaper, of course), and then see how it plays out. 

This is exactly my plan actually. I'm also trying to track down some used first edition imperial ships for cheap to get a better return on my conversion kit. Ideally I would find someone local who wants to go mono rebels in 2.0 and trade them my unwanted rebel ships for their unwanted imperial ships.

2 hours ago, a4rino said:

This is exactly my plan actually. I'm also trying to track down some used first edition imperial ships for cheap to get a better return on my conversion kit. Ideally I would find someone local who wants to go mono rebels in 2.0 and trade them my unwanted rebel ships for their unwanted imperial ships.

I've kinda started doing this with my one buddy who plays mostly Rebel or Resistance with a little bit of Scum. I've gravitated a lot more toward Imps & Scum in the last couple years, with some splashes into FO. I like playing everything but it's not going to be practical for me to convert it all in one fell swoop. So in the meanwhile I'm snapping up his extra Imp ships that he's never used and likely never gonna use, because it pushes up the value and variations that I can get out of the Imp kit.

On 5/22/2018 at 1:40 PM, Frimmel said:

The scuttlebutt at present is that things like the Starviper are done and dusted in 2nd Edition. You won't need a Scum/Rebel/Imp/First Order/Resistance expansion for a single upgrade card to use elsewhere. 

I wish I understood just how they were going to do this.

3 minutes ago, papy72 said:

My guess is that there will still be generic upgrades that "everyone" can use (like the new Crackshot), but that each faction will have a ship that comes with those upgrades.

Each new wave will probably use the same rule: all the factions having one or two common upgrade cards that came out at the same time. 

Just my hunch, anyway.

8 minutes ago, papy72 said:

What's not to understand? Something like Autothrusters won't be available in only a Scum expansion. You won't have to buy ships that aren't in the faction you want to play in order to get a particular upgrade card. There is a lot of other vagueness around this that we're all hearing differently but for the larger part there is agreement that you will be able to play 2nd Edition with only one faction if you so choose without requiring purchase of other faction's expansions to have access to all the goodies. 

Edited by Frimmel

5 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

What's not to understand?

The method by which they are going to sell the generic upgrade cards.

I personally think @Bucknife nailed it really.  There's going to be one or two generic upgrades with each wave, and those will be sold with each ships faction within the wave. 

But that doesn't mean FFG can't take a stand like "Hey, we're going to release this fancy new Autothrusters card over the next three waves, starting with the Scum ship in this wave".  Technically speaking you don't HAVE to buy the Scum ship to get the card.  You could wait, but only Scum has access to it until the next wave or two comes out.

Or there's also the possibility that there won't BE any generic upgrades at all post-Core.  Everything with be faction specific.

18 minutes ago, papy72 said:

The method by which they are going to sell the generic upgrade cards.

I personally think @Bucknife nailed it really.  There's going to be one or two generic upgrades with each wave, and those will be sold with each ships faction within the wave. 

But that doesn't mean FFG can't take a stand like "Hey, we're going to release this fancy new Autothrusters card over the next three waves, starting with the Scum ship in this wave".  Technically speaking you don't HAVE to buy the Scum ship to get the card.  You could wait, but only Scum has access to it until the next wave or two comes out.

Or there's also the possibility that there won't BE any generic upgrades at all post-Core.  Everything with be faction specific.

I tend to think Bucknife has a likely outcome for this. I find in un-likely there won't be generic upgrades. 

The bit where this wave only Scum gets authothrusters and Rebels or such gets it down the road would be technically correct. I don't think they're going to do that but you have a point that they could. I think they're going to want to keep those coming to 2nd Edition fresh able to just buy Rebel ships if they want to fly the new "meta" Rebel list. The sales increase in an endeavor like this is getting more of the on the fence folks to jump in. That means not needing something from the Fang Fighter to play a two T-65s and a U-wing list and not lose all your games horribly at Friday Night X-wing.