Npmartian

Cards you thought were good

When you started playing X-Wing, was there any card that you thought was really, really good until you played more and realized that it was actually pretty bad? For me, it was Zeb Orellios, specifically as crew on the Ghost. It seemed great! I could bump, and then throw a R1 Primary+R1 Dorsal Turret! Then I realized that 1. 0 agility does not like taking R1 shots back and 2. I couldn't actually run the cheaper shuttle, so Zeb essentially cost 3 points instead of 1 because Ezra in the shuttle was 2 points more expensive than Zeb in the shuttle. Anyone else have experiences like this?

Edited by Npmartian

Marksmanship.  "It's just like Focus, but you get to turn a result to a hit!  And you can use it on more than one attack as well!"

Oh, my sweet summer child.  You really thought Han with Marksmanship and Gunner was a good idea?

Edit:  Inb4r3astromech

Edited by FTS Gecko

When I first started playing I thought Opportunist was good. I mean its not a horrible ability, getting an extra dice is always a good thing. However, its way too situation and expensive for what it does. There are just way better options for EPTs. Not to mention that there really isn't a good platform for it. 

Definitely Marksmanship on Ten Numb with autoblaster, you roll your dice, get to change focus to crit, then the rest to hits, all uncancelable. Uut it costs a lot of points, dies to fast, and you never get a target at R1.

6 minutes ago, MrMaggles said:

Swarm leader... still gonna try till it works lol

I've actually had a lot of luck with backdraft,  Vader and even Kylo Shuttle as the swarm leader for a group of academies.

For fun I ran Norra Wexley/Rey crew as the swarm leader, and then a Wookie Gunship with PTL/Jan Ors and a naked Ghost as the evade providers to make Norra into a 6 dice shot with wingmen that can take a beating without their evades.

For myself it has to be Reinforced Deflectors. Much much harder to pull off than the auto success of FCS or even comparatively better sensor jammer. It's nice occasionally on high damage enemy squadrons but generally not worth taking the slot over the aformentioned better systems slots.

Just now, MrMaggles said:

Jess Pava is your freind.

Jess Pava (R2-D6, Swarm Leader, Autothrusters? 31 points.

Green Squadron Pilot (Title, Autothrusters, Chardaan Refit, Snap Shot, Juke): 23 points (X3) 69 points

Activation: Your A-Wings move, get evade. Jess moves, gets focus. Enemy moves, gets snap/juked if they get to close, gets action if not dead.

Combat: Enemy shoots, all of your guys have autothrusters, A-wings have evades, Jess has three rerolls and a focus, you can spend only one of your evades if you want to hit hard. Next is your A-wings, they shoot, juke. Next is Jess, spend friendly evades, get five red dice with three rerolls and a focus (if you did not spend on defense). Laugh as the enemy explodes!

20 minutes ago, MrMaggles said:

blasphemy!

Jess Pava / Hero droid, integrated astro, swarm leader

Green Sq. A-wing / refit/title/juke/snap shot

Green Sq. A-wing /refit/title/juke/snapshot

Jan Ors / 0 point EPT for taste / nien numb / dorsal turret.

You will eat my 7 dice with full mods and like it! 

or for more jank

Quick Draw w/Swarm Leader/Elec baffle

Youngster w/Rage

4x Academy Pilots

Quick draw moves into range, rage's/looses a shield, fires 5-6 dice. Combat phase, does it again. watch things explode

Edited by Wiredin

24 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

Ethan A'bhat was something I tried getting to work for a long time. Nope, useless **** he was/is. Then the astromech that gives you an extra agility combo'd with stealth device on an e-wing... yea that wasn't good either. 

Naked Etahn, 2 Bs, 2 Z95s. Ran that for a while around wave 7-8 time (back when a 2 dice attack might actually do something).
Absolute crit fest. When you're pushing that many through, it's just cripples everything.

Basically BBBBZ with crits. :D

Edited by Stevey86

2 minutes ago, Stevey86 said:

Naked Etahn, 2 Bs, 2 Z95s. Ran that for a while around wave 7-8 time (back when a 2 dice attack might actually do something).
Absolute crit fest. When you're pushing that many through, it's just cripples everything.

Basically BBBBZ with crits. :D

I did Etahn, Biggs, 2 rookies. it was fun, but didn't last long. 

8 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Marksmanship. On fcs Corran.

You could do a lot worse than Marksmanship. Sure, PtL and Expertise are better options, but Marksmanship isn't a bad choice.

Blue Ace.  After playing Pyscho Tycho for a year and realizing how awesome he was, I thought that Blue Ace with his boost turn would be just a good.  But PS5 and lack of DD -> Boost prevented him from ever being anywhere near as much fun (or good) as Tycho.

I can't think of anything that I used to think was objectively good that now I think is objectively bad, but there are definitely combos I've wasted lots of time trying to make work.

Especially Drea Renthal and R4-B11. Hopefully there'll be a 2.0 version of her that isn't trash and I can try again the glory of Drea's monomaniacal murder spree.

I kept wanting to make Wired work.  It's offensive and defensive dice modification without actions.  That's a lot.  However, just no.  It's too hard to generate the stress.

Wired/Gonk/Experimental Interface on Boba or Dengar.

Wired/Zeta Leader (Crack Shot is just better...).

Never got around to Wired/PTL A-Wings, because A-Wings.

I wound up flying Lt. Karsabi with HLC, Linked Batteries and Wired the other day.  Hit Hit Eye Eye.  I used Wired, and immediately knew it was a mistake.  I should have rolled my Linked Battery first on one of the Eye results.  You might think it would make no difference.  However, Wired always rolls Blanks/Eyes, while Linked Batteries has a 50% chance to roll a Hit/Crit.

//

I also had a bad Zeb experience in a Ghost (no titles, so it wasn't costing extra).  My opponent was flying a kinda inverse V formation.  The two prongs of his V bumped my Zeb, so instead of having a shot only on one ship, with only one ship shooting me, I had three shoot me.  It's far better for most Zeb ships to just shoot someone else.  I could kinda see it on a cheap-ish U-Wing, where you probably don't care as much about protecting it as your other ships, but Zeb is still so weak.

I played a Zuckuss, Palob, Contracted Scout squad for quite a few games before finally realizing that it was the Contracted Scout's brokenness that brought me any success ?. Don't get me wrong, Palob with TLT and Expert Handling was tons of fun against other Contracted Scouts, and Zuckuss really could hit like a truck sometimes, but I tried playing it later without a Contracted Scout, and it just all fell apart.

Also, I tried R2-F2 in my early Rebel days. Sometimes it would be amazing, but when I read some dice breakdowns, I was finally convinced that a focus token was better statistically. Unless you could stack focus and R2-F2...enter the combo chasing mentioned above by @digitalbusker. Fun times, albeit fruitless.

Edited by Parakitor

Ha, everything I tried at first!

I started playing in December 2016, well after the heyday of B-wings.  But I was certain that Nera Dantels and her 360-degree torpedoes had to be great.  I took Nera, Biggs and a Stresshog to my first tournament in early 2017.  Got destroyed in every game.  It didn't stop me from thinking Horton was good (that took my second tourney), but it did start to teach me something about the game.