drainsmith

D&D 5e Starter Set Lost Mine of Phandelver Conversion (Now Complete!)

Complete in so much as I have included everything. However, I'm sure people will point out problems and mistakes. I will update this link as those come in. So, please, let me know what you think.

PDF: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Am2tG8-iIXGdgdJaH3qSipdnBQKpLg

Additionally, for those of you that have InDesign, I am making my source file available.

InDesign: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am2tG8-iIXGdgdItsmKgS29qBCQn6w

Edited by drainsmith
Final version.

That is such a great starting adventure for both the players and DM.  Yes, DM!  ?

The first part is a bit on the rails, but in a good way.  And then you have the sandbox like middle for the town of Phandalin.  And the dungeon crawl as a conclusion.  It really does stand up as is.  The only thing I would change would be the encounters in the middle of the book to fit a custom campaign world.  Maybe that band of orcs aren't orcs.  They're a barbarian tribe moving in on that territory.  Maybe build upon the surrounding areas to have the players keep Phandalin a home base.  You know, something they have a stake in (the mine, the manor?, a farm?, a shop?) and have sworn to protect.  It's a long enough adventure to make for a nice mini-campaign, but could easily be turned into an epically long campaign.

Can't wait to see your progress on this, drainsmith!

Z

Having Sildar die with any damage taken is really harsh. I'd give the heroes the chance to revive him with healing magic. 

Also, as Klarg is the boss, I'd give him one level of Nemesis. When that red challenge die is added to the pool, it really amps up the dynamic!

6 minutes ago, awayputurwpn said:

Having Sildar die with any damage taken is really harsh. I'd give the heroes the chance to revive him with healing magic. 

Also, as Klarg is the boss, I'd give him one level of Nemesis. When that red challenge die is added to the pool, it really amps up the dynamic!

That's true. The adventure does say he will die only if the characters don't try to save him.

I didn't want to add to much to Klarg. Yes, he is a boss, but he is only the first one. I didn't want to go crazy out of the gate.

I like what you've done here drainsmith.  What a great start!  

Sildar:  Yes, if he gets shoved off the ledge, I would make him start to bleed out giving the players/characters a moral choice to make trying to save him.  

Falling Damage is harsh.  Period.  Short Range 10 wounds/10 strain is about 75%+ of someone's wound threshold.  I pictured that snare trap as being about a 10 - 15 foot drop that would halve the fallling damage to 5 wounds/5 strain.  Not as harsh.  But, if their buddy cuts the rope as a joke or something, then there's always the coordination check to land like a cat.  ?

Wolf Minions and Pack Tactics.  I like it, but two boost for all three wolves on one character and one boost die for just two wolves on one character seems better to me for some reason.

Bridge falling damage.  Again like above, maybe half as much because i think its only 10 - 15 feet up, if I remember correctly.

The Flood.  Oh my!  I caught numerous characters with this one ... twice!  LOL!  I wouldn't limit it to a Coordination check, I would allow Athletics as well too to hold on to the slippery walls (1 setback die) or something.  If the torch bearer is up front and the light source goes out ... muhahaha!  2 more setback dice!  

Again, well done!

Z

Great start! I've been fiddling with DnD 5e conversions myself, what i've found is that DC 10, 15 and 20 corresponds quite well to easy, avarage and hard checks in genesys repectivly, the math get's wonkier after that.

Ambush:
I'd recomend you use four minion groups of one or two groups of two, instead of one group of four, the action economy is going to make the encounter super easy if the goblins only act once every round.

Goblin Trail:
I really like what you're doing with vigilance and perception here, however, it might be more fitting to use the passive check optional rules from starwars for the vigilance check and tweak them slightly. By that I mean that a character with 2 ranks in vigilance spots the snare without searching, and a character with 3 ranks spots the next one. I am aware that a starting character can't have that many ranks, but if the party haven't gotten the hint that the trail is trapped after the first one and aren't looking for traps at this point. I'd let them use vigilance against hard for the second one if they tell me they are on the lookout however.

Kennel:
The check to charm the wolves are REALLY hard, especially for a starting character, compare that to the 55% succesrate of a specialized character in DnD... Maybe you could use an avarage check upgraded twice without food and downgrade it to a regular avarage check if food is provided. Then use any despairs generated to make thw wolves howl and alert more goblins of the intruders!

This is a great start and I really like what you've done so far! I think you're managing to capture the intent behind the encounters quite well from the original.

4 hours ago, Zszree said:

Falling Damage is harsh.  Period.  Short Range 10 wounds/10 strain is about 75%+ of someone's wound threshold.

When falling from short range, you apply soak to the damage, so it's not that bad.

Edited by PurpleKittenofDeath
Accidental post before I was finished

7 hours ago, PurpleKittenofDeath said:

When falling from short range, you apply soak to the damage, so it's not that bad.

You know what, I never even thought of soak when applying damage in this case.  Everyone will have around a 3 or 4 soak, so you are right.  Not so bad.  And cancelling a damage per success with a Coordination check.  Thanks for pointing that out to me!

Z

Edited by Zszree

3 hours ago, lbwoodard said:

Where did you get the RoT stat blocks?

This looks great! I've run Mines of Phandelver, and it's great for a new group. Building it in Genesys could only make it more fun!

Thanks! I made the stat blocks. You can get them from my RoT vector character sheet or you can access all my vector assets here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Am2tG8-iIXGdgcAC1y2oqRgBu7aSpA Everything I make gets made a available to the community somewhere. I think most of it is accessible through pinned items in the Discord server.

@Zszree Yes, falling damage can be soaked and mitigated. Additionally, the adventure specifically states the distances for these falls, therefore the characters should take damage according to the rules from those heights. I was a little shocked at first at how much damage it is, but turns out it isn't even that bad. It is kind of worse in the adventure. 1d6 could kill a starting player if they had just taken some damage from a few goblin arrows.

@PurpleKittenofDeath My difficulty conversion is 5 = easy, 10 = average, 15 = hard, 20 = daunting. The very first combat should be extremely easy. This is literally the first time players are encountering the game in any way. The LMoP was written from the perspective that the players have no experience in RPGs let alone RPG gaming tactics. This is still true if bringing people over to Genesys. They will be thinking about things in a certain way or may also be new to RPGs. It needs to be EASY. I don't want to use mechanics that are not in the Genesys book. Again, this is an intro adventure for new players. Doing things outside of RAW can be confusing. The wolf encounter in the LMoP is still kind of difficult. The players are not expected to succeed here. I believe the wolves are a teaching moment. They can run in and fight the wolves if they want. They'll find they aren't as easy as goblins to kill and will probably take some damage. Or they can just walk on by. Or they can be 'clever' and try to calm them down. If they manage to charm the wolves then they are rewarded with a shortcut to the boss of the dungeon. The spending of Threat and Despair is completely up to the GM. If they feel like introducing something like that and their players can handle it then no problem. In the later sections I will be putting recommendation on how Advantage, Triumph, Threat, and Despair may be spent. Trying to keep it easy breezy in the first part.

I was just about to ask if you were planning to do the whole thing! xD

Phandalin Miner's Exchange:  If you want to keep the text in line with other published works, consider displaying Halia's skill as challenge and difficulty dice
Area 2: Ruffians are a minion group of 3 I presume?
Area 10: These Ruffians are drinking heavily are they not? Maybe add some setback dice to their actions

Your Iarno will actually be able to challenge a party of 4! When I ran this adventure in 5e, my group surprised him and basicly downed him in 3 actions. He didn't get to act once. xD

Great work, love what you're doing! Keep it up! :D

@PurpleKittenofDeath

Oh, you're right. I put the wrong dice in there. Thanks.

Good catch there also.

Oh, yeah, it does say they are poisoned due to their drinking. I'll put something in there to reflect that.

Every time I run this the group manages to find their way through the secret door to surprise Iarno, handily beat him in initiative, and down him before he even takes an action. I think he should be a little tougher than that. ;)

Thank you for all the feedback. I love this community so much. So much actual insight and help.

1 hour ago, verdantsf said:

Fantastic! Thanks so much for working on this. I definitely plan to use it in my Terrinoth campaign!

Wait until I'm done! Though if anyone does run this I would be very keenly interested in hearing feedback. There may be an issue with how I mapped D&D DC to Genesys Difficulty and with how difficult some of the encounters can be. All of which is really determinant on how much XP the characters start with.

Two things: 

Upon a perusal of the document, there seems to be a dearth of Setbacks from environment & defense ratings. Consider introducing setbacks into the environment whenever possible, and also upping the melee/ranged defense of some of the better armored foes.

Spelling error: "Trechery" in Hamun Kost's stat block should be "Treachery". 

Great work! I have a few pointers.

Redbrand Hideout:
Do the Nothic's Rotting Gaze bypass soak? Otherwise it's probably not going to deal any damage at all as the probability of getting 3 successes on that check is like 13%

Old Owl Well:
The At any Kost spell refrences Iarno
If you "penalize" players for not choosing a combat solution to a problem, you're fostering an agressive playstyle. It is my highly personal opinion that you should reward full XP for any solution to an encounter unless you want to activly reinforce a certain playstyle.

Castle Cragmaw:
No stats for King Grol and his wolf Snarl?

Wave Echo Cave:
No stats for the spectator in Area 15?

General thoughts:
Every XP cost in genesys is a multiple of five, so giving xp not divisible by 5 could leave players with "loose" xp, this might of course not be an issue and just me fussing over nothing.
I'd add a line in the beginning saying something along the lines of "The XP rewards presented in this adventure is tied to certain progressions of the story or good roleplaying and are intended to be used along side the guildelines presented in the CRB on page 125." Just to clarify to any new GM's that they should award XP for each session as well, or their players might have a hard time towards the end.

This is really solid work and I'm impressed by how fast you churned it out! 

42 minutes ago, PurpleKittenofDeath said:

Redbrand Hideout:
Do the Nothic's Rotting Gaze bypass soak? Otherwise it's probably not going to deal any damage at all as the probability of getting 3 successes on that check is like 13%

Yeah, it'd be much better to say "Target suffers 1 wound per Success."

Also, I would get rid of the Resilience check, or make it the Nothic's Arcana vs. the target's Resilience. Too much dice rolling for one action otherwise.  

I'm seeing a lot of little spelling & syntax errors, but I don't have InDesign so can't easily make edits. Otherwise would be happy to lend editing assistance. I like what you've done.

In 5. Slave Pens: instead of "upgrading the player's pool" (by which you probably mean upgrading the player's ability), consider reducing the difficulty of the check. It's like making Medicine checks without equipment on yourself. You can do it, but it's a much higher difficulty. Same thing here. It's a Formidable check for a character to break the iron bars, but for a character with a crowbar and a little elbow grease, it should be much easier. 

Edited by awayputurwpn

The Nothic is literally casting the Attack spell so it works just like the Attack spell should with the Poisonous effect. So it looks like I forgot to include the base damage from it's Intellect.

@PurpleKittenofDeath The only reason I put extra XP for defeating Kost is that the fight will likely be extremely difficult, so if they manage they should be rewarded for that. I believe the story guides them toward talking to him, so that should be their primary goal already. I agree that normally role-playing and peaceful solutions should be rewarded more, but in this particular instance I thought it should go the other way.

I'm not sure how I missed Grol and the spectator. Weird.

I'm not super familiar with what normal XP rewards are for Genesys/SWRPG. But it other games I've run where the XP numbers are low (eg. White Wolf) I always ran it as small rewards should not be enough to purchase anything. A few small rewards together should buy something small. If 5 xp can purchase a tier 1 talent, then I believe that a small reward should be 2 to 3 xp.

@awayputurwpn Good point on the crowbar. Making that change.

Turning on in-line spell checking just showed where most of the problems were. If you two (or anyone else really) notice any other spelling or grammar issues, please let me know. Maybe send them as PMs though so this thread doesn't get flooded with them. ;)

Are any special fonts needed for your sourcefile- Id didn't recognize a few and substituted them (I should have noted which ones!) There's some text looking a bit pixely but that might just be the view in Id - main thing is my section headings and dice symbols don't seem to match. Bolton font is showing as [Bolton] - is this Id's way of showing it as substituted- looking at the PDF that seems to be the header font missing?

Definitely hope to either run or play in this campaign though sometime.

Thanks for sharing the resource for creating campaigns.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
No bolton bolt on? :)

...also (can't update previous post now) is the cover image one image or a layer behind the orange frame- love Adobe's products but they don't make them easy to learn (I've not used Id much)- things that could work the same way in different products, was expecting layers with the graphic, round orange frame etc but seems to all be one thing so not easy to keep the Genesys frame but add a new image?