Boba Rick

When Will They Stop Selling 1.0 Ships?

That's a problem I have. I love Armada but have no intention of spending money on X Wing version 2.0 to fix a game I didn't break. I've lost interest and so has pretty much everyone else I game with. Looking back I think when it stopped being a fun dogfighting game and became a pay to win card collecting game that was the tipping point. We just went back to playing historical wargames and got our Star Wars fix from Armada which remains a popular game here.

That plus the power creep, FAQs longer than the rules themselves and the dominance of obscure ships meant I stopped collecting round about the wave where the K Wing and Inquisitor came out. So I'm left with about 60 Imperial and Rebel ships (I never bothered with S + V) that nobody here wants to buy and everyone else probably has multiples of. I expect I'd just get pennies on eBay.

It's a shame to see them just sat about in storage. Despite all those issues there's no denying they're beautiful models. Hopefully I'll get one or two games of 1.0 in for old times sake when people start to feel nostalgic about the game. If I'm honest though I'd really like to get some money for them but I'm not going to practically give them away. 

It's all a bit of a shame really but I know my view on Version 2.0 is a minority and I sincerely hope those of you who are sticking with the game enjoy playing it and get a lot of pleasure out of it.

9 minutes ago, Soviet65 said:

I ... have no intention of spending money on X Wing version 2.0 to fix a game I didn't break.

Looking back I think when it stopped being a fun dogfighting game and became a pay to win card collecting game that was the tipping point.

That plus the power creep, FAQs longer than the rules themselves and the dominance of obscure ships meant I stopped collecting round about the wave where the K Wing and Inquisitor came out.

So, you’re going to write off the game BECAUSE they are fixing all the problems that drove you away from it....

yeah, don’t understand that. 

No, not even close. Reread the post. 

They are not going to pay for FFG to fix a game that FFG broke in the first place.

I'd wait and see what v2 offers. They said they were getting back to the dogfighting.

Sept. will see the release of the rules and app. on-line.

You might be able to get a feel for the new version before deciding to buy or sell .

I agree with your post 100%. My group are serious tournament players though.

I'm not as I just like flying fun ships. (I 'm the one they test their lists against)

Anyway, we all got into HOTAC this winter and have had a blast. Dogfighting in T-65/A-wing/y-wing/HWK ships against Ties /Interceptors/Defenders.

We finally finished the campaign, having repeated missions we failed, and now are subbing scum ships in for rebel ones.

Scum are a lot more fragile and require skill when manoeuvring.

Your group might like it as well.

4 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

So, you’re going to write off the game BECAUSE they are fixing all the problems that drove you away from it....

yeah, don’t understand that. 

It doesn't matter what FFG do or how enthusiastic I am. Nobody wants to play it anymore. I can't get a game for love nor money. Even if I didn't object to paying out for conversion kits, who am I going to play?

Edited by Soviet65

On 5/24/2018 at 2:10 PM, OoALEJOoO said:

I think part of the reason why 2e ships cost $20 and 1e ships cost $15 is because it's probably the best way to make sure 1e stuff sells. If the 2e X-Wing would cost $15, would anybody buy the $15 1e X-Wing?

As long as there is demand for the 1e ships, I would think FFG will still make them. It all depends on demand. Something that would surely kill demand is releasing their 2e versions. It really depends on this.

At the risk of derailing the topic of the OP, I'll be blunt, other than the above statement, I see no reason why the 2e ships had a 33% retail price increase. Yes there are development costs to be paid for, but I'm sure 1e also had development costs.

My advice about buying the resistance bomber would depend on whether you plan to buy the conversion kit regardless. If that's the case, then it's probably safe to buy it since the 1e would likely be cheaper than the 2e.

They aren't going to keep making 1e product.

And the first edition price was set years ago. You have inflation, changes in manufacturing costs, changes in shipping costs, licensing fees, etc. They didn't raise costs incrementally over time so now they are doing so within redesign, with likely some cushion realizing they won't be updating prices again for another few years.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:32 AM, Soviet65 said:

I expect I'd just get pennies on eBay.

In the UK at least, this isn't really the case. Most of my ship purchases come from ebay and while I do buy lower than retail, significantly so on rare occasions, individual expacs still hold decent value. For small ships, depending on the popularity of the model, a £10 listing will normally end in a sale. It's only if you list as a job lot that you'll see a large drop in value.

On 6/16/2018 at 4:27 PM, ScottieATF said:

They aren't going to keep making 1e product.

And the first edition price was set years ago. You have inflation, changes in manufacturing costs, changes in shipping costs, licensing fees, etc. They didn't raise costs incrementally over time so now they are doing so within redesign, with likely some cushion realizing they won't be updating prices again for another few years.

Pretty sure I remember prices going up during the life on 1st Edition, and that's before Brexit.  Why would they feel they couldn't change the prices as and when they felt like it?

55 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

Pretty sure I remember prices going up during the life on 1st Edition, and that's before Brexit.  Why would they feel they couldn't change the prices as and when they felt like it?

If you’re not paying in USD, I’m curious what the currency effects look like. USD/EUR and USD/pound rates have varied substantially over the last few years. 

58 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

If you’re not paying in USD, I’m curious what the currency effects look like. USD/EUR and USD/pound rates have varied substantially over the last few years. 

I can't really say, I just have a vague recollection of them getting pricier over time.  But even if they didn't change in dollars, surely they could have done in FFG had wanted them to?

I was caught off guard by the 2.0 announcement primarily because of the number of reprints they've done in the past year.  Some of them made sense on the 1.0 trajectory - like x-wings and strikers being reprinted to supplement the Saw's Renegades release - but even these make it seem like they're maximizing 1.0 sales before moving to 2.0.

I guess this isn't bad business per se and does allow continuing stock for a while, especially on the secondary market.  Still, there are a lot of 1.0 ships out there on shelves.  I would think sales are markedly declining at this point, especially for ships getting a new sculpt.  I like the theory about the price difference - that's the only reason I could think of people who are already getting conversion kits might pick up 1.0 ships they don't have.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:10 PM, Emrico said:

I'm sure they will want to sell off any remaining stock of 1.0.  I doubt there will be a "hard date" to stop because it isn't like they are going to rip all those open and repackage models in 2.0 packaging.  Will likely just be a matter of, when a store runs out they won't be able to order more of the 1.0 of whatever ship and it will be out of print until the 2.0 version is released.  On the plus side, even new players will be able to get the older ships for awhile if they want to jump in hard with conversion kits.

Jim

^This^

It isn't like Netrunner or Conquest where they lost the licenses. They are still selling SW LCG packs.

Now Conquest is discontinued and Netrunner is sold out before discontinuation, but that is a different story. GoT 1st edition is nearly sold out but they still have a draft pack in stock. So if they have it, they will sell it, if it is out, it is out but it is going to take some time.