Boba Rick

When Will They Stop Selling 1.0 Ships?

I understand if the ship is available as a 2.0 ship that they will stop selling the 1.0 version, but if it's not 2.0 yet will they stop selling the 1.0?

There are some ships that I'll probably proxy (like the Resistance Bomber) and if I like the 2.0 version I may buy the 1.0 and utilize the conversion kit.

I'm sure they will want to sell off any remaining stock of 1.0.  I doubt there will be a "hard date" to stop because it isn't like they are going to rip all those open and repackage models in 2.0 packaging.  Will likely just be a matter of, when a store runs out they won't be able to order more of the 1.0 of whatever ship and it will be out of print until the 2.0 version is released.  On the plus side, even new players will be able to get the older ships for awhile if they want to jump in hard with conversion kits.

Jim

1 hour ago, papy72 said:

I noticed over the past few months they have been doing a lot of X-Wing reprints.

Have those reprints come to shore and into stores yet?

You don't suppose they're being super sneaky and the "re-prints" are the 2.0 version of those ships? Probably not, but that would be awesome.

3 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

You don't suppose they're being super sneaky and the "re-prints" are the 2.0 version of those ships? Probably not, but that would be awesome.

I would not be surprised. 

14 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

As far as I know the reprints have been getting steadily done over the past few months.  I can't say it's been every ship but I have noticed a number of them.  In fact, on the "upcoming" page it shows the Rebel Epic ships awaiting reprint.

15 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Product codes for 1.0 start SWX; 2.0 start SWZ.  I’d say they are 1.0 re-prints nothing more.  The timing is interesting though.  Why bother when they’re on a fast track release of all existing ships?  Surely everything existing will be out by September 2019.

15 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

I would not be surprised. 

Me neither.  The official comment was "we want to rel-release all existing ships for 2.0 as soon as possible", so they've clearly been planning for and preparing for the change

People are speculating.  I would love to hear firm commentary from FFG about when they will stop selling 1.0.  I've already "topped out" my collection with a new order from my FLGS.  But, there are a few ships I'd like to add to my 1.0 collection that were out of stock from my FLGS and from his Canadian distributor.  Do I need to hunt them down now?  I'd really like to know a firm cut-off date about when 1.0 product will only be "what's left out there"?

P.S. Anyone know a shop with a Special Forces Tie and at least 3 Alpha Class Star Wings for sale?  I'm in Canada but have a US shipping address, so looking for a shop in Canada or the USA.

I think part of the reason why 2e ships cost $20 and 1e ships cost $15 is because it's probably the best way to make sure 1e stuff sells. If the 2e X-Wing would cost $15, would anybody buy the $15 1e X-Wing?

As long as there is demand for the 1e ships, I would think FFG will still make them. It all depends on demand. Something that would surely kill demand is releasing their 2e versions. It really depends on this.

At the risk of derailing the topic of the OP, I'll be blunt, other than the above statement, I see no reason why the 2e ships had a 33% retail price increase. Yes there are development costs to be paid for, but I'm sure 1e also had development costs.

My advice about buying the resistance bomber would depend on whether you plan to buy the conversion kit regardless. If that's the case, then it's probably safe to buy it since the 1e would likely be cheaper than the 2e.

15 hours ago, Trillium2 said:

P.S. Anyone know a shop with a Special Forces Tie and at least 3 Alpha Class Star Wings for sale?  I'm in Canada but have a US shipping address, so looking for a shop in Canada or the USA.

I think my FLGS has all that.

Personally, over the next couple months I'm gonna be spending my spare cash bringing my collection up to "one of almost everything, 2 of my favorites". I'm WELL below the "par" established by the conversion kits, and I wanna get the most out of my money.

I can't remember where, but I feel like I recall them saying they will still produce 1 ed stuff, but likely in lower quantities.

Could be wrong, but I hope they don't stop selling 1 ed, because I plan on playing a 1.5 ish game, and having 1 ed stuff discontinued would be a pain for that.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, papy72 said:

I noticed over the past few months they have been doing a lot of X-Wing reprints.  Maybe they will stop selling 1.0 when those sell through?

This. I doubt you'll see a 1.0 reprint for anything, because why would they? They want you to buy the 2.0 version, so if they have to print a batch, they'll print the 2.0 one.

I doubt they will reprint any/all of the 1ed ships. They are obsolete in the future x-wing game.

I'm sure the profit margin has increased with the new ships.

I'm filling the gaps now up to the parameters of the conversion kit list.

The reprint of ships in 2ed format will take a lot of time as they stated reprints will take a back seat to new releases.

So, even though they are allowed to be aggressive with bringing everything to 2ed, they won't.

Best to buy now if it is a ship you want.

I think there was a recent reprint of the t-65. that will most likely be the last one. What's out in the wild will be all that there is before too long. I expect it to move very slowly over the next couple of months then after the 2nd E launch, the back stock of 1st edition stuff will start to move a lot more as people try to maximize their conversion kits and stuff starts getting marked down. We shall see.

What I'm curious about is the Aces packs. They said they wouldn't re-release any alternate paint schemes -- so if we want them, do we need to get them now, before they go out of print, or do we think they'll keep printing those to demand?

(I don't understand why a company wouldn't print to demand, but hey.)

4 minutes ago, TheHumanHydra said:

It can be very hard to predict demand, and have significantly too much of a product can result in it not making money overall because you are paying to ship and warehouse stuff you paid to produce in the first place. Don’t know to what extent that applies here, but that would be a major reason to print limited quantities. 

As for the aces packs, they will probably not be reprinted. Most likely all 1.0 stuff is going away once the existing stock is gone, so if you really want some of those alt paint schemes, keep an eye out for clearance sales. 

I'm not sure FFG won’t end up bringing the concept back in a few years though. The existing aces packs are done, but they may or may not do new expansions that feature alt paint schemes once all the other stuff has been reprinted. What if they said they aren’t reprinting aces packs because they have plans to do thematic “scenario packs” that include alt paint models as well as scenarios and/or mini campaigns. That is 100% speculation, but is not unreasonable. So don’t take “we aren’t reprinting aces packs” as “we are never doing alt paint scheme figs again”. 

It wouldn't be difficult to recall shelved 1.0 product, or at least product that is still with distributors, unpackage it, and repackage the model. I would think that pre-painted models represent the bottle neck in production run rates. If they're planning on that, it could also account for the increase in base price for most ships.

4 hours ago, TheHumanHydra said:

What I'm curious about is the Aces packs. They said they wouldn't re-release any alternate paint schemes -- so if we want them, do we need to get them now, before they go out of print, or do we think they'll keep printing those to demand?

Ffg: Hey China can I order 7 rebel aces? No? Ok.

4 hours ago, JasonCole said:

It wouldn't be difficult to recall shelved 1.0 product, or at least product that is still with distributors, unpackage it, and repackage the model. I would think that pre-painted models represent the bottle neck in production run rates. If they're planning on that, it could also account for the increase in base price for most ships.

Good heavens that would be enormously expensive, in terms of money, time and labor. Companies put old items on clearance all the time, and they do it because it is more economical to unload something you don’t want to sell anymore (for whatever reason) at or even below cost than it is to repurpose it. Just yesterday at Origins I picked a couple of dropzone commander starter sets at dirt cheap prices because there’s a new edition in the works. All the miniatures in the box will still be com0,steely valid, but no way would they go through the hassle of opening up the boxes to reclaim them. Better to get it out of the warehouse as quickly as possible.