Sign in to follow this  
Chakado

How do Leo and Ursula's special abilities work ?

On 5/23/2018 at 11:42 AM, C2K said:

The more i thought of this, i think the confusion could have been avoided by adding "additional".  Like this perhaps:

"Take an additional Investigate action."

Because then players would know its an action a la Daisy's ability or Skid's ability.  

"Additional action" comes freighted with some rules baggage that isn't appropriate for Ursula, in particular that you have some flexibility in when you use additional actions that Ursula does not enjoy.

"Take an action," like Quick Thinking (which also uses "take an action" rather than "additional action," indicates that the action is to be used immediately, and there is no free trigger window between the move and the investigate action granted by her react.

5 hours ago, BD Flory said:

"Additional action" comes freighted with some rules baggage that isn't appropriate for Ursula, in particular that you have some flexibility in when you use additional actions that Ursula does not enjoy.

"Take an action," like Quick Thinking (which also uses "take an action" rather than "additional action," indicates that the action is to be used immediately, and there is no free trigger window between the move and the investigate action granted by her react.

It would be more clear if it were worded like Finn, something like: "Reaction: After you move to a location, gain an action for this turn that can only be used to Investigate that location."

5 hours ago, Network57 said:

It would be more clear if it were worded like Finn, something like: "Reaction: After you move to a location, gain an action for this turn that can only be used to Investigate that location."

That still allows you to use the action at any point during that turn, rather than immediately.

Which is really just to point out that we could imagine a lot of little tweaks, but rephrasing it while having it produce the actual desired effect, while still fitting it in the limited space of a card is all easier said than done.

On the other hand, the subtle difference here between Leo and Ursula has been confusing for a lot of people, so I'm sure it's something they'll bear in mind in the future. It's all kind of a moving target. :)

It does make me wonder, though, if a lot of people have been taking the Quick Thinking action without provoking attacks of opportunity, or if they've been playing that correctly (and if so, why?). I imagine it does come up a lot less often though, as I would assume that if you succeed by 2 for Quick Thinking, you've *probably* gotten yourself out of trouble (or you're just going to attack again). :P