Jake the Hutt

Are you playing with enough terrain?

25 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

^^^ This

This isn't 6 asteroids in a starfield, this is trying to create ground based cover in a game where movement is largely optional. 

Mini Tangent...  X-wing is a whole lot more fun when you have interesting and heavy terrain,  especially for mission based play.  32332035_10160211188960316_8420927401269

I need to create some Lava Flows and imperial shuttle facility for my Mustafar/Sullust map...  And speaking of cheap terrain - these are tiles from a dollar store...

32253844_10160211188965316_8467312116058

9 minutes ago, Indy_com said:

Try imgur.

I feel like this needs to be stickied on like, every forum everywhere. Don't use photobucket, or flickr, or rely on facebook hosting, or anything like that. Just upload to imgur, place the URL for the image between tags, and away you go. 

Yes, but...  The rule quoted above is preceded by this one on page 6:

"Place Terrain: Players cooperate to set up terrain in a mutually agreeable fashion. If they cannot or do not wish to, they may use the Competitive Terrain Placement rules found on page 9."

The range 1 rule is only used if players cannot agree on terrain.  If the players cannot agree, then it is useful to prevent silliness like chaining together terrain or one player trying to crowd all the terrain in one corner of the board.  It does not have to be in force.

2 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

I feel like this needs to be stickied on like, every forum everywhere. Don't use photobucket, or flickr, or rely on facebook hosting, or anything like that. Just upload to imgur, place the URL for the image between tags, and away you go. 

And then in two years imgur will be gone, a new platform will have arisen, and the cycle will repeat.

2 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

I specifically downloaded imgur for this post, uploaded images, copied links into 'add image from url' nothing. Added link into actual post with [ IMG ] tags, just posts links. At this stage I decided life was too short!

11 hours ago, Copes said:

Absolutely love your setup. Where is the mat from? I'm a huge fan.

Thank you! The mat is from FLG (Frontline Gaming) and is their 6x4 badlands mat. I cut a black roll of drawer liner into two 6" strips by 6ft long to "shrink" the play area to regulation 6x3 as well as make a nice area for player cards, dice, tokens, templates, etc. 

10 hours ago, Amanal said:

Just a suggestion but try using the same terrain and have the little disks with palm trees on top allow LOS through them, while the larger felt pieces are big enough that even though they are only light woods they will block LOS through the area of terrain. Also, even though the trees modeled are small make them as high or higher than the tallest model. In both games this would limit the AT-ST being able to see everything and conversely everything seeing it.

I think you'll your games will be a touch more fun as a result.

Um...thanks?

I was posting those pics as examples of what some tables look like following the Competitive Terrain rules along with the rules for Cover and Line of Sight if you go with the definitions for Custom Terrain in the RRG. Everyone that played on that table said they had fun.

Thx for this awesome Thread. I loved the Battle Kiwi Buildings and just ordered it. 

I really also like tabletop-modellbau-onlineshop.de

Awesome Hills, TOP Quality.

With the Battle Kiwi Buidlings + the tabletop modellbau Terrain and the kraken playmat my Endor Playfield will be perfect :)

I've been using a lot of area forest terrain, large hills, and small hills. We try to have at least 50% of the terrain block LOS, so we say forest areas block LOS through it, but allows LOS if you are in it. It creates interesting games because you don't have to run around terrain, but rather through it. The forests also provide light cover, while the hills provide heavy. The small hills allows LOS for troopers, but the large hills block LOS for troopers. 

It's probably the most effective use of cover rules we have come up with. I also want to mention the range 1 between terrain is crucial for creating areas for vehicles to go. I bet some people (not necessarily in this thread) think the T-47 is bad is because terrain is too bunched up. The same applies to the AT-RT, and less so to the AT-ST. I've found terrain that is too close makes it easy for troopers to dominate the game. 

2 hours ago, Rauhughes said:

I specifically downloaded imgur for this post, uploaded images, copied links into 'add image from url' nothing. Added link into actual post with [ IMG ] tags, just posts links. At this stage I decided life was too short!

Links are better than nothing! Also, if the link ends in an image format (i.e., image.jpg) the forum should automatically display the picture in-line.

9 hours ago, OccasionallyCorrect said:

IMG_3401.jpg

What are those tall green trees? Are they plastic? Insanely cool setup, btw.

11 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

What are those tall green trees? Are they plastic? Insanely cool setup, btw.

Thanks!  It's a ton of fun to play in this map, especially with the modularity. 

The trees aren't plastic, I think they're foam and wire with sole tight flocking. I got them from tysplanes.com if you want some of your own!

2 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

I've been using a lot of area forest terrain, large hills, and small hills. We try to have at least 50% of the terrain block LOS, so we say forest areas block LOS through it, but allows LOS if you are in it. It creates interesting games because you don't have to run around terrain, but rather through it. The forests also provide light cover, while the hills provide heavy. The small hills allows LOS for troopers, but the large hills block LOS for troopers. 

Played a game last night with a TON of forest terrain.  We played it all as "Sparse Woods" and didn't have it block LOS through.  I think that was a mistake.  There was cover everywhere for the troops, but nowhere really for them to hide.  I think we will try it your way next time.

We did discuss having Sparse Woods allow LOS through and Dense woods blocking it though.

5 hours ago, Rauhughes said:

Don't bother with the "insert other media" button. Buttons are generally just shortcuts that don't work properly. You just find the actual link for the image (the one that ends in .jpg or .png or whatever) and paste that into the post. Like this:

https://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/P1020127.jpg

Now, when I posted this link it posted the image directly, saying it had automatically embedded the link. I had to disable that feature to make it display as a link.

If, for whatever reason, the forum software won't display the link as an image, you can force it to do so by placing the image tags before and after the link, those tags being [ img ] and [ /img ] respectively (but with the spaces removed, obviously). And it should display the image then, like this:

P1020127.jpg

The easiest way to find the image URL (the one that ends in the image extension, .jpg or .png or whatever) is to right click on the image you want, and select 'open image in new tab'. If a website offers you a "select this option to post to another forum" or whatever, don't bother with it because half the time they add in formatting or stuff with conflicts with the forum software. You're better just doing it manually.

2 hours ago, shmitty said:

Speaking of woods.  While I love the Gale Force 9 woods terrain, they aren't currently making them.  Anyone have other good sources of trees for miniature gaming?

You can get relatively nice, very cheap ones of eBay. But they aren't very tall usually, and they require you to make the bases yourself.

EDIT: I plan on making a bunch of trees using this method:

The video is probably the best I've seen so far in terms of easy-to-follow instruction and good results. The benefit is that you can make trees of any size and shape for relatively little cost. The trees on tysplanes.com look amazing, but enough of them to make three or four dense woods for a forest board could run me upwards of $300! I'm planning to use this method with sticks found in the scrub, using either filter pads or coconut fibre pot plant thingies, and I'll try them with hairspray or spray adhesive and see which works best. I'll be putting a coat of clear plastidip over them when they're done to fix the flock in place. I'm just waiting on a tub of flock I ordered so we'll see hopefully in the next week or so how these turn out for me. If they come up alright I'll post some on the painting and terrain forum.

Edited by Chucknuckle

19 hours ago, cookluke5150 said:

The problem with the board above and some of the others is that your are ignoring the range 1 in-between each terrain piece rule.

Not sure what is the "problem?"

Rules let you play on any premade board if both folks agree on it.

Competitive placement rule allows placing things closer than range 1 once all spots are filled.

In either case 25% of the board being cover is quite possible.

Also a mix of wide and narrow approaches it lots of fun!

5 hours ago, Thraug said:

Also, a chain of barricades could be considered as one piece of terrain, allowing you to adhere to the 1-range rule.

Exactly. You can combine terrain pieces together to create a single piece of terrain. So you can adhere to the 1 range rule and still have a forest.

There is no hard and fast Range 1 rule.

BRB Page 6:

3. Place Terrain: Players cooperate to set up terrain in a mutually agreeable fashion. If they cannot or do not wish to, they may use the Competitive Terrain Placement rules found on page 9.

15 minutes ago, Chucknuckle said:

Yeah exactly, the 'distance 1 from other terrain' rule is just there so if your opponent decides to be a jerk with the terrain you have a rule to fall back on.

Not necessarily.

Step 3 of Setup says you can use the Competitive Terrain rules if you and your opponent choose to, not just if you disagree.

Interestingly enough, the Tournament Regulations do not have anything dealing with terrain in Game Setup on pg 11 of the Text version other than the players determining the terrain effects in Step 1.

FFG left it open for the TO to pre-place all the terrain and even gave the TO the leeway to ignore the Competitive Terrain rules if they choose, as long as each 3'x6' rectangular play area contains...

...enough terrain to fully cover at least a quarter of the play area (3'x18"). The organizer must ensure there4 are roughly an equal number of terrain pieces as well as terrain types at each table.  The organizer should make sure it is clear to players what terrain effects each piece of terrain has before the event starts.