Sign in to follow this  
Daft Blazer

The Forgotten. Age - Intro 1 (spoiler So)

Intro  1 seems especially hard, if your playing solo, particularly, on your first playthrough. I ended up with 1 mental and 1 physical trauma and minus 3 resources on its resolution 😖 

Clearly, now I know what to take, it'll be less tough!!

Question (spoilers):

If I end the second scenario with poison, do I not got to remove it? Even though we go back to civilization afterwards? And even if I have medicine in my pack, I get no chance to use it?

@Rettere You do not! Maybe at the beginning of Threads of Fate you'll be given a chance to go into your pack, but until then keep track of that medicine! Supplies carry over throughout the campaign, so you might get the chance to use it later.

Until then, though... totally poisoned.

1 hour ago, Rettere said:

That’s dumb.

It's Yig, so I get it, but I totally hate the poison mechanic. I also hate poison in most games overall. The added pressure of not being able to get rid of it once you get it is very annoying. You fail one test and you're suddenly at a disadvantage for at least the rest of the scenario, but who knows how long after that.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Daft Blazer said:

Intro  1 seems especially hard, if your playing solo, particularly, on your first playthrough. I ended up with 1 mental and 1 physical trauma and minus 3 resources on its resolution 😖 

Clearly, now I know what to take, it'll be less tough!!

We took (2-Player) 2 & 1 Mental trauma (reasoning that, because the first scenario did so much physical damage to us, the whole campaign must be that way - ha) and each started with 2 resources.

I really like the supply mechanic.  There is no way to take everything you need.  The more investigators, the more provisions and blankets you need.  The duality (of what we've seen so far) is where do you want to have your advantage?  Do you want to be able to be aided between the scenarios, where you have no other control?  Or would you rather use them to mitigate the Exploration deck or locations or Act/Agenda decks (or, I suspect but haven't seen yet, Enemies)?

The group Supply Points for 1, 2, 3, & 4 players are 10, 14, 15, & 16.  That seemed unfair to the fewer player count.  After Interlude I, you realize that to take no trauma you'll need to not be poisoned, and use 3 Points per player for provisions and blankets.  That leaves 7 points for solo, 8 points for duo, 6 points for trio and 4 points for quartet.  Also, each investigator has to have a blanket in their inventory, while the provisions can be in anyone else's.

At 4 players, 2 people can have something costing 2 or less.  Oh, and you also need binoculars to no take trauma, so 1 player can have something else.  Rope, Torches, and a Map are 3 Points so they're out.  Medicine, Canteen, Compass, Chalk, or a Pendant and an extra provision?

There is no winning this.  You can min-max once you know what to expect, but otherwise is a gamble.  Again, I really like this mechanic.  My group was willing to go hungry and cold and blind (no binoculars), and we were able to handle the scenarios themselves much better.

Edited by Duciris

Would you say, @Soakman, that it poisoned your play experience?! 

*laughs forever*

Funnily enough, I remember loathing poison effects in other games, but I thought this way of doing it - without an immediate effect or cure - was somewhat neater than the more generic 'take damage slowly over time' or 'when you heal, heal less' effects I've seen repeatedly elsewhere! But that's only my personal take on it, and I can see how it could be irritating to other people. 

1 hour ago, Soakman said:

It's Yig, so I get it, but I totally hate the poison mechanic. I also hate poison in most games overall. The added pressure of not being able to get rid of it once you get it is very annoying. You fail one test and you're suddenly at a disadvantage for at least the rest of the scenario, but who knows how long after that.

The only thing worse is when you have to worry about food every turn, as in old school RPGs like Ultima.  I wasn't happy when I saw the "Poisoned" card.  But I also agree with @zooeyglass, this version of it isn't quite so annoying.

There is a conversation on a different thread about the Doomed weakness.  One of the things that was mentioned that changed my mind on it was that it will make you play differently - often making suboptimal decisions to avoid it.  I like that.  Similarly, I can tell you from experience, the threat of being poisoned, the threat of adding doom to our locations, and the threat of adding Vengeance to our Victory Display changed how we operated.  We took so much extra horror and extra encounter cards to prevent any of those that we could.  I really enjoyed how they made us play.

We ended up playing the 2nd scenario 3 times.  Carolyn had the Curse of Yig in her threat area partway into each of those play-troughs.  Because it took an action to get rid of, she never bothered.  She was just more cautious about her health.:lol:

Oh man @Duciris I think that's the nail on the head, right there: you want these cards to force you to shift gears, to scratch your head and go 'hmmm, how do we handle this, then?' That's a sign that it's forging new ground. 

Incidentally I love that Curse of Yig on a non-combat, reasonably healthed investigator is currently not much of an issue... but that's not to say it won't be an issue down the line with intereactions with the Serpent trait...

New play styles is a big theme of this deluxe it seems.  "Doomed is way too dangerous!"  Maybe don't draw so much.  "Calvin is terrible!"  Damage and horror are now a resource to be balanced.  "So much trauma!"  Remember all those healing cards you've been dismissing for two years?  Also, play Calvin.