Sign in to follow this  
RayGuns

X-Wing 2.0 - batteries required.

10 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

Welp, I guess my habit of carrying around no fewer than three ready-to-go lists is... something I'll keep doing...

And my friends will appreciate that I don't take half an hour building a list at them while flipping through a binder while they wait...

I keep ready-to-go lists with everything a player needs in those black letter boxes they sell at craft stores. I currently have seven, really fun lists. Makes the start much quicker.

1 hour ago, Vykk Draygo said:

I help to build the local community, so that means when I go the the FLGS twice a week everything but epics go with me, all 12 Ties, 6 Interceptors, 6 Tie Bombers, 6 X wings, 6 Y wings, 6 A wings, all 6 M3A’s, all 6 Khiraxx, yes everything, I think you get the point.  Some of us carry all items in case someone needs to borrow, in fact probably 75-80% of our local scene brings everything for standard play for average game nights. Some of us have played since the beginning and have never used a squad builder on a smart phone that we do own. Some of us like building lists by hand while playing a boardgame to escape from reality that promotes interacting with human beings instalead of being absorbed by our electronic devices that we are tied to on a daily basis. I have ideas of what I want to fly when I go but tailor a list to the skill level of the opponent I’m playing. I like most everything they have implemented in 2.0 except the app, and yes there are the arguments for printing a pdf or really any number of workaround, but the one that bugs me the most is the argument for “just use the quick builds”. If I wanted to play whatever somebody else has built that should be pretty decent then we might as well stay at 1.0 and netlist. 

Then bring the pdf print outs.... there is 0 reason for you to need the app or the quickbuilds. 

Who cares if people say "just use the quick builds" it does not affect you at all because you can use the pdf...

Complaining about the existence of something that you don't ever have to use is what bothers me.

Complaining about a none compulsory app and quickbuild cards is kind of insane, so you don't like something that's a general benefit to most of the player base but you don't have to use.... who cares!

It’s crazy that people seem to be so opposed to the app just because it’s an app. 

It’s like they don’t see the benefits and only the potential problems, most of which will most likely be hot fixed asap.

We can all gripe and complain about 2.0 (and the app) but why not wait until it is actually out? 

I dunno maybe I’m just being glass half full and it’s all gonna come crashing down in August ?

3 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

If you have the app locally, as long as you have battery you’re good to go. :) And you can buy a solar recahrgable battery for recharging smart devices for not too much these days. So, no excuses guys!

I am more partial to the “red dawn” or “Jericho” scenario than the terminator one, though I’m sure Facebook or Google could inadvertently devise Skynet....

Honestly, quick builds will be the best way to help with new players and do basic pick up games.

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t show up to a friends house or a game store without a list or two already in mind - the app will be plenty sufficient.

I figured Skynet would happen after Google bought Boston Dynamics with their crazy cheetah robots and such

Edited by Audio Weasel

57 minutes ago, Audio Weasel said:

I figured Skynet would happen after Google bought Boston Dynamics with their crazy cheetah robots and such

boston-dynamics-technology-news_dezeen_2

on sale summer 2019!  No word on the battle droids or astromechs yet

also if you don’t have access to a public library at the very least then you probably don’t have access to purchasing miniature spaceship games.  If you are on this forum complaining about cell phones and apps it just rings a little.... disingenuous.

Edited by GrimmyV

12 hours ago, RayGuns said:

, it occurred to us that pick-up games might not be as easy with X-Wing 2.0 because batteries are required.

you are right, but a this particular moment, playing V1 will be a good alternative. V1 and homebrew rules are still as fun as it was before any announcement .

X-wing 2.0 is a hybrid type game which does come with a drawback. The one is that unless you have the latest app information printed out Warhammer Codex style you will need the app to play competitive.

There is a print only Casual format included with all 2.0 models that has a threat point system instead of a squadron point system that is free of the app so it can still be played in print only formats. Now of course that is not going to be the most common format you will see being played but it is an option, just like missions in 1st edition.

Edited by Marinealver

22 hours ago, RayGuns said:

Most people do not carry around printers in there back pocket. Especially for pick-up games.

A pick-up game is a game that has been spontaneously started by 2 or more players.

So you live in a time and age where you carry your miniature ships with you but not your smart phone ????

Where do you live in? I would like to move to a place where you can have meaningful conversation on the lunch table without everyone else looking at their smartphone for a topic to start talking about.