Sign in to follow this  
RayGuns

X-Wing 2.0 - batteries required.

I just realized something. Pick-up games might be more difficult with X-Wing 2.0. Especially if you do not have a computer or smartphone handy.

Yesterday my friend and I decided to play X-Wing. We didn't plan this (pick-up game), but we just happened to have our X-Wing materials with us. While we were setting up and creating our 100 point force, it occurred to us that pick-up games might not be as easy with X-Wing 2.0 because batteries are required. When I say batteries, I mean a computer or smartphone that uses batteries, and of course, you will also need the X-Wing App.

I guess these days almost everyone has a smartphone or something, but did they charge the battery?

You will just print out the pdf with point costs and squadbuilding rules which will be updated regularly by ffg (existence of it is confirmed) or you will use quick build cards so it is even faster than in 1ed. Or one of you will happen to have smarthphone charged... this could happen as well...

Quick builds are also available for even faster setup for quick fun games then 1.0

Also, I can't remember the last time I created a list the old pen and paper way, have used my smartphone or a computer to do it for the last few years. I generally have 5 or 6 builds I want to try already figured out.

14 minutes ago, Zura said:

You will just print out the pdf with point costs and squadbuilding rules which will be updated regularly by ffg ...

Most people do not carry around printers in there back pocket. Especially for pick-up games.

A pick-up game is a game that has been spontaneously started by 2 or more players.

6 minutes ago, RayGuns said:

A pick-up game is a game that has been spontaneously started by 2 or more players.

A pick up game already presumes the presence of ships, cards, templates, tokens, and dice (and probably a mat). If someone is in the habit of bringing those things to a place where a spontaneous game of X-Wing is likely to break out and doesn't either have their phone charged, some quick build cards handy, lists printed out and tucked with their gear, or the .pdf with them... I would be very, very surprised.

You proposed issue is, frankly, not one.

2 minutes ago, Aaron Foss said:

A pick up game already presumes the presence of ships, cards, templates, tokens, and dice (and probably a mat). If someone is in the habit of bringing those things to a place where a spontaneous game of X-Wing is likely to break out and doesn't either have their phone charged, some quick build cards handy, lists printed out and tucked with their gear, or the .pdf with them... I would be very, very surprised.

You proposed issue is, frankly, not one.

Well except at a FLGS with all the components but bad signal and no wifi. 

5 minutes ago, RedHotDice said:

8 minutes ago, Aaron Foss said:

... some quick build cards handy, lists printed out and tucked with their gear, or the .pdf with them...

Are you suggesting that in this hypothetical FLGS that has everything to play X-Wing open for customer use but somehow omits keeping at the very least some quick build cards on hand, but DOES keep upgrades and pilots?

AND both players have no idea what any of the points values are.

AND nobody else is present who has any way to access quick build cards, a .pdf, or some pre-made lists.

Edited by Aaron Foss

12 minutes ago, Aaron Foss said:

Are you suggesting that in this hypothetical FLGS that has everything to play X-Wing open for customer use but somehow omits keeping at the very least some quick build cards on hand, but DOES keep upgrades and pilots?

AND nobody else is present who has any way to access quick build cards, a .pdf, or some pre-made lists.

I believe that is what he is suggesting. Its a tad on the unlikely side (by tad I mean..... next to impossible)

Dont forget the internet is not accessible and no one has the list builder app already installed.

Edited by Icelom

So, since there's one of these threads every day or two, I guess I'll bite.

1. You can print the PDF of all the costs and slots. This will be readily available, and should be convenient enough with whatever you already use to access these forums. These can be printed ahead of time, and, since they probably won't update that frequently (and will let us know when they do) your printouts will last a good while.

2. Somebody there will have a smartphone. I guarantee it. 

3. The app will probably work offline

4. If you don't have the app, you can still access the squadbuilding via FFG's website, which somebody will be able to get you access to via mobile hotspot, free WiFi from the coffee shop next door, etc.

5. For casual pickup games, the quickbuild cards will be fantastic

19 minutes ago, Aaron Foss said:

Well, this FLGS is not hypothetical but quite real. 

You are right about quick built cards however, but those are not necessarily the lists I would like to play with... and I certainly cannot remember costs of the different cards, especially if costs now start to depend on the ships and combinations of othee upgrades. 

But the printed pdf with costs is a good idea.

1 minute ago, Kieransi said:

That would be great, but I doubt it. They will probably keep it online to ensure point costs are universal and does not depend on a user upgrading it

6 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

I would think FFG would make this feature a must. We certainly hope.

That being said, it has not been officially announced that it will have this feature.

Edit: RedHotDice beat me to the app reply by 20 seconds.

Edited by RayGuns
reaction to RedHotDice reply

4 minutes ago, RedHotDice said:

Well, this FLGS is not hypothetical but quite real. 

You are right about quick built cards however, but those are not necessarily the lists I would like to play with... and I certainly cannot remember costs of the different cards, especially if costs now start to depend on the ships and combinations of othee upgrades. 

But the printed pdf with costs is a good idea.

WTF?!? Am I really sitting here contemplating FFG would release an official ARMY book with all the upgrade costs?!! Hahaha, what is this GW!!!

48 minutes ago, RedHotDice said:

You dont have a smart phone? Who does not have a smartphone these day? 

Well, the only thing I can think of is that at my FLGs the gameroom is in the basement under a trainstation where there is very poor signal and no wifi.. there it may be a problem. 

I highly doubt the app will require constant internet access, so you should be fine if you have the app. 

47 minutes ago, RayGuns said:

Most people do not carry around printers in there back pocket. Especially for pick-up games.

You don’t need a printer. Just the pdf. Print a copy and store it with you other stuff to always have available. 

33 minutes ago, RedHotDice said:

So you have the store keep a copy or two of the pdf around  

If you have ships and cards ready, you can just attach the printed sheet of costs to it, yeez. And take a powerbank with you. And store quick build cards where you store rest of xwing stuff. I guarantee, one of those 3 solutions will always work.

55 minutes ago, Zura said:

If you have ships and cards ready, you can just attach the printed sheet of costs to it, yeez. And take a powerbank with you. And store quick build cards where you store rest of xwing stuff. I guarantee, one of those 3 solutions will always work.

Do you guys think there will be a market for a "pretty" army book with all the upgrades and costs, with room for you to overwrite/adjust the costs via pen?

1 hour ago, Kieransi said:

So, since there's one of these threads every day or two, I guess I'll bite.

1. You can print the PDF of all the costs and slots. This will be readily available, and should be convenient enough with whatever you already use to access these forums. These can be printed ahead of time, and, since they probably won't update that frequently (and will let us know when they do) your printouts will last a good while.

2. Somebody there will have a smartphone. I guarantee it. 

4. If you don't have the app, you can still access the squadbuilding via FFG's website, which somebody will be able to get you access to via mobile hotspot, free WiFi from the coffee shop next door, etc.

5. For casual pickup games, the quickbuild cards will be fantastic

The quick build cards are going to be a godsend to me. I don't have many X-Wing playing friends in the area, so the idea of trying to train people in list building is daunting, especially when I've limited experience in it myself. So it'd be nice just to have some quick and interesting lists ready to go

Quickbuild lists will be nice for casual games, but might also neccesitate getting one of each expansion to collect.  I have a feeling that once this forum gets the app and figures out costing, we’ll see a lot of fan made quick cards.  I am actually looking forward to this, as long as the threat level is accurate relative to the official cards.

3 hours ago, RedHotDice said:

You dont have a smart phone? Who does not have a smartphone these day? 

Amish people are'nt getting them. Just saying.

I wish FFG would have just put the point values on the cards. I picture all of a sudden, some people's builds won't be legal anymore because of a whim from FFG to change point values and you have 10 minutes before a tourney starts and you have to re work your whole list. 

Also, has FFG said if you need the cards for tourney's anymore? If you have the app can you run your whole squad on the app as you play?  Keep track of dammage, missles, ect?  

Edited by Ken on Cape

Sure... You might not be able to play X-wing if the grid goes down. Or at least you can't play with official point costs. However, I think you'll have bigger problems. 

2 hours ago, Ken on Cape said:

Amish people are'nt getting them. Just saying.

I wish FFG would have just put the point values on the cards. I picture all of a sudden, some people's builds won't be legal anymore because of a whim from FFG to change point values and you have 10 minutes before a tourney starts and you have to re work your whole list. 

Also, has FFG said if you need the cards for tourney's anymore? If you have the app can you run your whole squad on the app as you play?  Keep track of dammage, missles, ect?  

The TO of your hypothetical tournament that starts ten minutes after a surprise update presumably says to keep using your old lists, just like they would have if their tournament started ten minutes after a FAQ with card errata released.

The app is not for play. They might decide to add some in play features to it at some point, but right now it's just a builder. So you will still need the cards. And whatever they do with it down the road, I don't see "add a way for competitive players to skip buying some things" being on their to do list.