Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Poll questions about 2.0..... excitement and purchasing intent change?

Possibly a little less excited and my purchasing plans have changed from "undecided, probably a core and maybe scum and imperial conversion packs" to "not for the time being".

I can see why many of you are really excited, but 2.0 so far hasn't offered anything to tempt me, while changing ships and features I enjoy in ways I find less appealing. I'll keep an open mind when September rolls around, but I'll probably just wait until FFG announces something new that actually grips me...1.0 sat in my spare wardrobe for a year until new releases and HotAC encouraged me to take another look!

Honestly less excited, I got into X-Wing in the first place for the Ghost/Phantom and played that pretty exclusively (never with the Biggs or Fenn as those were the trouble pieces that needed to be toned down) and they got super nerfed to oblivion. The turret changes I get but they literally halved almost every part of the ship to the point that I can't see it costing anywhere close to what it once did as an almost list in itself. 

So if I got into a game to play one type of ship, and it's totally garbage then I may not bother with this version. My wife is interestingly enough also less excited seeing how much they toned down her favourite TIE Phantom and Fel. 

We were on the fence about picking up a new core + Rebels and Empire conversion kits and I'll wait to hear more once the APP releases to be sure, but barring some kind of awesome Ghost changes or Clone Wars factions getting officially announced I think we're soft out right now.

1 hour ago, Nyarr said:

Somewhat less excited after the unboxing.  While I still plan to get each kit and am confident that the game will be balanced, I feel like they failed to really streamline the game and make it less convoluted.  That, and some of the ships I was looking forward to using changed in ways I don’t care for.

+1.

More excited because Deathrain seems very much like a monster (cheap bomb, range one/two missile, easy double modded shots, possibly without stress depending on which action you do first). Buying a core set and rebel and imperial coversion kits first just as planned. Ideally scum soon after that and then I'll see about what ships I want more of and I'll try tracking down 2 more Punisher sets if I'm not getting a second imperial kit.

I would say more excited.  I like what I'm seeing (that flying is going to be more important than listbuilding).  2.0 still looks like it will bring me back to the game.  However, I'm still not planning any purchases until I get a chance to use the app.  I want to see everything involved before I commit to coming back.

Edited by Audio Weasel

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

I was planning on buying into the game for maybe one faction. I had issues with the 1e balance so I didn’t by into it. Now with the reveal of Moralo Eval, it seems that FFG still doesn’t understand balance or sensible abilities. 

Literally, the only ability in STAW so overpowered that it is banned from Organized Play is now brought in by FFG and made far more powerful. I had thought FFG had learned some lesson about balance, but that makes me think they haven’t or don’t care. Either option isn’t good. 

Before you you say that they can just make him expensive, realize that some abilities are so powerful that they can’t be balanced by cost. They are either overpowered or so badly overcosted as to be useless. 

Moralo has to literally fly off the edge of the board to flee and use its ability (twice per game only). So he gets a pretty decent repositioning twice per game but on the turns he flee's he cant shoot or do anything. 

Is that the same on the attack wing abilities? A quick look says no its not at all the same. The Attack wing ones let you do it from anywhere and let you place back on the field anywhere (within ranges). So its quite different in the fact you actually have to fly off the board with moralo and the opponent knows what edge of the board you have to come back on. so instead of fleeing from anywhere on the board you have to fly off an edge, and instead of placing yourself anywhere on the board you have to place yourself on that same edge. On top of that the attack wing ones are when you reveal your maneuver you get to decide so you have board knowledge where moralo has to decide to do it at the planning phase.

How is it "far more powerfull?" Then let's also take into account it's a different game. 

"stead of making a normal move, you may discard this card to remove your ship from the play area and immediately place it back anywhere in the play area, but not within Range 1-2 of any other ship. You cannot attack or perform any Actions on the round you use this ability. This Upgrade costs +5 SP if purchased for a non-Species 8472 ship and no ship may be equipped with more than 1 “Fluidic Space” Upgrade." - fluidic space Startrek attack wing. 

(they have like 8 upgrade cards for a bunch of factions that do the same or similar that appear to be able to go on a ton of different ships, unlike x-wings 1 ship that can do a similar style yet highly more controlled version)

Again, and most importantly it's a different game. We will have to see how it plays out.

(a quick note: i know nothing of attack wing this was some quick research because the @Church14 post scared me a bit, but i feel better after my tiny bit of research)

1 hour ago, GILLIES291 said:

Honestly less excited, I got into X-Wing in the first place for the Ghost/Phantom and played that pretty exclusively (never with the Biggs or Fenn as those were the trouble pieces that needed to be toned down) and they got super nerfed to oblivion. The turret changes I get but they literally halved almost every part of the ship to the point that I can't see it costing anywhere close to what it once did as an almost list in itself. 

So if I got into a game to play one type of ship, and it's totally garbage then I may not bother with this version. My wife is interestingly enough also less excited seeing how much they toned down her favourite TIE Phantom and Fel. 

We were on the fence about picking up a new core + Rebels and Empire conversion kits and I'll wait to hear more once the APP releases to be sure, but barring some kind of awesome Ghost changes or Clone Wars factions getting officially announced I think we're soft out right now.

You honestly should be more excited about the Ghost in 2.0 if you weren't a Ghost/Fenn abuser. The things that got nerfed on the Ghost were the ridiculous double TLT shot and the crazy PS 11 coordinate boosting crap. It lost two shields but gained reinforce, I call that a wash. The dial is basically unchanged save for the k-turn. It still will have the chance to fire twice, and the second attack will come when it activates in the engagement phase, and not at the end of combat. Sure it won't be a turret attack anymore, but in 2.0, double attacks look to be fairly rare. 4 attack native is rare as well. Hera is going to be better at Initiative 5 then she was at PS 7. Heck, the Ghost might even get a pilot talent. The Ghost will play more like it was intended to be played. As a main front heavy attack freighter. It was meant to go in right at the enemy squad and blast something with that boomstick 4 dice attack. Not kite around the battlespace spewing TLT spam. 

Oh and you can undock and re-dock the Phantom... 

Still probably going with a core and 1 of each conversion to start out. Probably buy a 2nd imperial conversion I think... but won't go crazy at first. Oh and yeah I am excited ?

Edited by Jo Jo

Was excited before, even more so after the presentation.

I will go for a scum conversion set for sure. 

Core set most likely, unless I get a damage deck somewhere (painting templates is fine for me) 

The other conversion sets... I do not have much of the other factions, waiting for the actual content and maybe split a kit with some friends

Edited by flooze
Autocorrect...

1 hour ago, GILLIES291 said:

I was never a fan of the ghost so I can't comment much on that.

However the Phantom and interceptor I can and I love what they did with both! the phantom, in particular, is greatly improved. The built-in ability is very strong and free's up its slots for other goodies they get +1 hitpoint so are more survivable and the 3damage primary I see as a buff. In 1.0 the phantom had to be very expensive to compensate for its 4 damage and if any ship had a higher pilot skill then it they simply killed your very expensive ship before it did anything. In 2.0 the ship can be cheaper, the ability built in is more survivable along with the +1hp coupled with the reduction in enemy turrets and general token stacking the phantom might actually live long enough to let you enjoy the fun of flying it. As for the interceptors, a very strong (in 2.0 extremely strong) built in push the limit combined with the general reduction in turrets and offensive power means the interceptor can actually go around and arc dodge not just die. On top of that it can use interesting EPT's instead of just stapling PTL to it opening up all kinds of new and exciting things you can do with the interceptor.

I am sad your wife is disappointed in 2 of the ships I feel got massively improved in 2.0, the ships appear to have been made alot more fun to fly.

Excitement level unchanged
I am still very excited! Changes all look great to me.

Purchasing plans unchanged
I will buy a new core set and two different upgrade kits on release day (already have them reserved). Not sure yet which factions I will pick up first... probably rebel and scum, but I am picking up some extra Imperial ships now where I can find good deals. I will be trading / selling extra components from all of my kits.

Far less excited. I was expecting the conversion kits to include all content of Wave 1 except the ships, perhaps less tokens. This is not the case, quick-build cards are not included.

By the way, I missed whether the kits will include necessary tokens to field a reasonable number of ships. Is this the case or all our 2e tokens would have to come from a core set?

1 minute ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Far less excited. I was expecting the conversion kits to include all content of Wave 1 except the ships, perhaps less tokens. This is not the case, quick-build cards are not included.

We don't know this, they could be in the pack that was waved to the side that 'contained everything from wave 1'

2 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

By the way, I missed whether the kits will include necessary tokens to field a reasonable number of ships. Is this the case or all our 2e tokens would have to come from a core set?

They've been said to contain 'a large number of tokens'. What that means we don't know. 1e tokens are compatible apparently. 

5 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

You honestly should be more excited about the Ghost in 2.0 if you weren't a Ghost/Fenn abuser. The things that got nerfed on the Ghost were the ridiculous double TLT shot and the crazy PS 11 coordinate boosting crap. It lost two shields but gained reinforce, I call that a wash. The dial is basically unchanged save for the k-turn. It still will have the chance to fire twice, and the second attack will come when it activates in the engagement phase, and not at the end of combat. Sure it won't be a turret attack anymore, but in 2.0, double attacks look to be fairly rare. 4 attack native is rare as well. Hera is going to be better at Initiative 5 then she was at PS 7. Heck, the Ghost might even get a pilot talent. The Ghost will play more like it was intended to be played. As a main front heavy attack freighter. It was meant to go in right at the enemy squad and blast something with that boomstick 4 dice attack. Not kite around the battlespace spewing TLT spam. 

Oh and you can undock and re-dock the Phantom... 

Still probably going with a core and 1 of each conversion to start out. Probably buy a 2nd imperial conversion I think... but won't go crazy at first. Oh and yeah I am excited ?

I appreciate your enthusiasm and thanks for taking the time to respond. I think the Ghost actually lost its evade for reinforce in my opinion. Some ships got shields moved over to hull (B-Wing, Phantom Shuttle) but the Ghost just straight up lost two extra shields. Where the Somewhat competitive 1.0 Lambda and the very competitive 1.0 Decimator just got reinforce added on, as well as coordinate (something the Ghost has to drop its weak situational shot to gain by equipping the Phantom 2 instead). 

Man I didn't even notice the change on the dial for the K-turn this sucks even more now too haha.

Alright so not sure if we can agree 100% here but from what I can see the only things that made the Ghost competitive at all in 1.0 was Fenn PS 11 coordinating it and Biggs playing bodyguard and TLT.  The platform itself was pretty balanced by its large size, no PWT, lack of EPT slot, not great dial and 0 agility being some major negatives. So my thoughts was why not just deal with those instead of completely wiping out the Ghost's playstyle and giving it a weird one where you either get:

-random middle of the round coordinating, which the Phantom 2 let's you do for much cheaper.

OR

-situational extra shot out the rear with the other Phantom. With the exception of quickdraw it was really hard to pull off the double shot on a TIE SF and it's going to be even harder to ever get that second shot off when it's rear arc only on a large barely maneuverable base. 

Literally the only good things are reinforce which then burns up your action or this docking gimmick which we're still waiting to hear more about. Where in contrast the Ghost has 2 less shields, no evade, manually rotating turrets, worse dial, no end of the round coordinating to save an ally, and a guaranteed double tap being reduced to a mere 2 dice out the rear as your entire attack with one Shuttle or a situational 3 dice out the rear extra shot which any player worth their skill is never going to be anywhere near the rear on this thing. 

The manual arcs I get and I'm ok with that, reinforce instead evade for sure. But to stack 4 more nerfs on top of all that takes this ship from balanced to someone with a hate on for the Ghost went to town and ripped it apart.

I'm happy for everyone else to be getting able to fly what they enjoy again as that should be the key part of the game. But the Ghost as handicapped as it is doesn't really make the 2.0 game appeal to me that's all.

Also in regards to my wife being down its more so that her favourite pilots Whisper and Fel are no longer as strong, not so much the ship in general. Also we think that FFG created an unbalanced game in order to sell more newer must-buy to stay competitive products and make money, and then eventually sell us on 2.0. So we can't see a reason they won't repeat the act for 2.0 for the exact same reasons. We aren't big competitive gamers having only gone to a handful of tournaments and have a small local playgroup in our city so it doesn't really make sense for us to drop a huge investment on 2.0 without something new like Clone Wars factions being added. Especially when what we like to fly has been in her case toned down and in mine outright destroyed.

Edited by GILLIES291

I’m about the same but here are my observations.

I’m slightly worried that 2nd is over complicated. (Total number of action types and special rules is beyond 1st)

The complications are well designed and better executed than 1st so it may not be a problem

I am about 3x more excited to buy and play the imperial faction kit. 

Extremely impressed by the card counts in the kits. 

I had already intended to buy into 2E reguardless as X-Wing is an amazing game.  I am super excited by everything I have seen so far. It is hard to get a real feel what what’s good and what’s meh as we don’t know all the rules yet, point costs, upgrade slots, etc.  Right now I am looking at Ship dials and stats and if they look like fun to fly. And so far everything looks great!

I. plan to get one each of the upgrade kits and two Core sets. 

I will NOT be getting a 2.0 core set. I'll just get a secondhand 2.0 damage deck. I now know there will be a significant number of ships that I will be selling. Several more ships made it to the chopping block after Fridays reveal. But now I'll probably pick up an E-wing.

• Shadow Caster
  • Jumpmaster
  • G1-A
  • Scurrg
  • YT-2400
  • Ghost & Attack Shuttle
  • All First Order ships
  • All Resistance ships