tsondaboy

Did I miss something or Phantoms got nerfed to inexistence in 2.0?

People mentioning a cannon option on the Phantom. . 

Have we seen any cannon beyond the Heavy Laser Cannon so far?
Anyone seen any system slots beyond Adv. Sensors and FCS yet?

Reason I ask is that Ion Cannon may not be a bad shout on a nimble Phantom. Once you Ion your target, the Phantom is one of the best ships to make use of that. Strap on outmaneuver and you are the bane of every single agility ship the game has to offer.  

nah, the gunboat's shtick is shooting after SLAM

Defender can't even SLAM, but a decloaking phantom cannon would arguably be much better

gunboat's also probably a LOT cheaper, so you can more easily flood the board with cannons than you could with defenders. Phantoms would be a lot closer to a gunboat's cost than a defender

Edited by ficklegreendice

6 minutes ago, Jehan Menasis said:

Or maybe not a cannon, but a title or configuration that enables 4 reds in bullseye.

They could have just printed that on the card. No, only rebels are allowed a 4 die primary. Don't worry though, they'll make one of them an undodgable  pwt so they don't feel too similar. 

Also, there's the possibility of phantoms gaining their own, exclusive "gunner" upgrade.

Since all gunner upgrades we know rely on the dual/rotating arcs mechanics, if their crew slot is replaced by a gunner one, phantoms wouldn't get any particular benefit. So, the most probable outcome will be that either they'll keep the crew slot, or they'll get their own gunner version, able to somehow enhance its fixed arc. (increased attack... double tap... etc.)

Gunners that benefit fixed arc ships sounds like it has to be a thing. Would be good but systems type crew always fit the Phantom nicely as well. It'd be nice to have the choice, a proper glass cannon or a shifty support sniper, I feel like it should be able to equip for a variety of special roles.

That might need extra cards though, a la TIE Shuttle, something I'm not expecting to see much of.

Edited by Cuz05

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

there's no way gunner cards are limited just to mobile and aux arc "veteran gunners"

there could just be a "Veteran gunner", which is 1.0 gunner but bullseye only

Agreed, but there would have to be more options with different mechanics or it's a pretty boring slot. I suppose maybe not straight away but there's a lot they could do with it. Having a choice between gunner or crew for the Phantom would make for some nice variety in the ship build. If it was limited to gunner, I think I'd be disappointed.

If I had to bet, I'd bet on the TIE Phantom's slot becoming a Gunner. In Rebel Assault, the second seat was explicitly for a gunner, and while this is definitely a place where gameplay would come before story, I think it was always the intent for the slot. I wouldn't even be surprised if the attack value was lowered on the Phantom specifically because of some expectation with the Gunner slot.

Edited by Jokubas