rasmussen81

What's the thinking with Snow Troopers?

This might have been discussed before but I couldn't find it...what's the logic behind having Snow Troopers in the first wave of units? I assume it's so people can play Hoth battles, but it seems like a mix-up of the Star Wars universe to have Speeder Bikes and Snow Troopers available in the first wave since they wouldn't be in the same region.

Are people just painting the Snow Troopers as something else and turning a blind eye to the break in logic? I just don't get it.

I know where you’re coming from but not sure that FFG are applying your logic to their production choices.

i think they are pushing out obvious and recognizable low-hanging fruit that people will buy and play, rather than apply patterns, and will start churning out the less recognizable stuff later when people are already addicted and committed. 

Using X-Wing as an example, the first few waves were all ships from the movies, now most of them are Legends-based as people are no longer buying the ships for the “I HAVE A FALCON” moment and more for how it fits in the meta (IMO).

and the “easy” answer is to paint all your troops with a unifying theme and bingo, they are all from the same Legion ;)

Edited by DangerShine Designs

2 hours ago, BadMotivator said:

I think Snowtroopers are really just the Imperial harsh environment units. They just got called Snowtroopers because they got seen mostly operating in cold environments and the name stuck, but their equipment is good for everything.

Yup, just like the T47's were called "Snowspeeders" in ESB

It's important to remember that just because the movies didn't show something doesn't mean it didn't/couldn't exist. For example, there is no reason to believe that speeder bikes couldn't have been part of a flanking maneuver on Hoth. No ground battle in the original trilogy gets more than a few short minutes of screen time--assuming that you're getting a clear picture of a combat that would have raged for hours is silly.

As for why FF picked what they did, it's about balancing out tactical and strategic options to make the game enjoyable. With the addition of STs the Imperial list gets everything it needs to allow for a dynamic mix of play. Storms are your distance hold-outs. Snows are your assaulting force (especially when paired with Vader). Bikes are your recon/flanking and ATSTs are your armored advance (especially when paired with Veers).

If you pulled any of those your strategic options would be severely limited by the selection of units.

With this being set in the Civil War era, it seems like they're mainly going off of what was seen in the OT movies (minus the AT-RT). It sells well for nostalgia factor and makes sense to release everything that was seen in the movies as the more basic core stuff for the first year or two, then the more diverse and exotic expansions will branch out and probably come from EU/Legends, Rebels TV show,  Rogue One, etc.

FFG probably wanted to have a good mix for this first wave from the movies so depending on people's movie preference, there'd be something for everyone pretty much right away. And then it wouldn't be a "battle of hoth" or "battle of endor" game. Eventually that will be the case but I think it was smart to avoid that at release.

As for snow troopers first, Id assume because they simply fit well with Veers as they're both seen at the battle of Hoth. Im guessing the next Rebel corps will be Hoth rebel troopers because they like to do asymmetrical releases. Ie this wave we get snow troopers and fleet troopers, next wave we'll most likely see Hoth rebels and imperial naval troopers.

Mine are being painted as Galactic marines as well :D 

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, Beerasaurus said:

It's important to remember that just because the movies didn't show something doesn't mean it didn't/couldn't exist. For example, there is no reason to believe that speeder bikes couldn't have been part of a flanking maneuver on Hoth.

Actually, they used a similar bike in the Clone Wars episode Trespass.  It was different, but so were most of the Clone Wars era equipment.

latest?cb=20120928041101

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, Bojanglez said:

Yup, just like the T47's were called "Snowspeeders" in ESB

Which is ridicules, because of the whole, "...we're having difficulty GARBLED-MEMORY POSSIBLY-ADJUSTING, them to the cold," line which causes Han to remark, "I guess I'll have to go out on tauntaun then."

19 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Which is ridicules, because of the whole, "...we're having difficulty GARBLED-MEMORY POSSIBLY-ADJUSTING, them to the cold," line which causes Han to remark, "I guess I'll have to go out on tauntaun then."

I think we are saying the same thing - they are called "Snow" speeders simply because of where they are trying to use them, rather than them being actually designed for the snow.

1 hour ago, Bojanglez said:

I think we are saying the same thing - they are called "Snow" speeders simply because of where they are trying to use them, rather than them being actually designed for the snow.

We are!

Makes sense. And thanks to everyone...now I'll be buying the Snowtroopers even though I had initially written them off! ? I like the idea of them being all-weather troopers and will simply paint them to match my other Imperial forces.