Beerasaurus

Flamethrowers on your Snowtroopers?

I'm about to run a list that has Vader leading two Snowtrooper squads as its mobile element. The question is, do I give one of those squads a flamethrower instead of an Ion cannon?

I love what the flamer can do, but I'm nervous that it's barely going to get used--even advancing every turn at best you're going to fire it ~2 times per game. Add Vader into that mix and I'm assuming any unit I'm almost in contact with is going to retreat.

Conversely, I could just give the unit Concussion Grenades and light them up if I get into range.

Thoughts?

Since I posted I've been thinking about it a different way, which is probably worth sharing.

Snowtrooper = 12 pts

Con. Grenade = 5 pts

Which means that you are paying 3 pts for the ability to add a Black Die per enemy, as opposed to a Black per squad member.

Assuming you take a fair amount of attrition during your advance, the Flamethrower is likely the better option.

42 minutes ago, Beerasaurus said:

I'm about to run a list that has Vader leading two Snowtrooper squads as its mobile element. The question is, do I give one of those squads a flamethrower instead of an Ion cannon?

I love what the flamer can do, but I'm nervous that it's barely going to get used--even advancing every turn at best you're going to fire it ~2 times per game. Add Vader into that mix and I'm assuming any unit I'm almost in contact with is going to retreat.

Conversely, I could just give the unit Concussion Grenades and light them up if I get into range.

Thoughts?

Even if they don't get in range often, they at least force your opponent to worry about them getting in range. Anything with that much potential to wipe your corps off the table has to be concerning. 

It might be overkill but I also took impact grenades.  It was sort of crazy when a speeder bike got close and I got to ignore cover, then I was also able to get near the remnants of a squad and throw 8 black dice.  I had veers, so I also had the aim token, it was ridiculous, this was the first game with snow troopers, so they did not consider them a threat right away.

For the cost I feel it is a bargain, an extra snow trooper is 12 points, so for 12 more points I also get blast and spray.  

For last night's game I opted to field 2 SnowTs, both with Flamers. It was unquestionably the right choice. It's very flexible and terrifying when it comes time to fight close for an objective.

Given the requirement to Recover with the Ion, unless you know you're fighting a vehicle-heavy list I think the Flamer is the best option, and well worth the points.

Snow troopers with additional dude, flamethrower and Impact grenades is a great tool.

If you get in range, you will get (Number of targets + number of your minis minus 1 black dice, ignoring cover, with the potential of anti-armour)

I have had these drop behind my lines in a battle with rapid reinforcements and this really hurt, because you can't let them get close to you.