Sign in to follow this  
Johan Marek Phoenix Knight

Cost for Magic Items?

The Terrinoth book does not list the price of magic items because they are so rare. While that might make sense in Terrinoth, there are some universes where magic items are much more common, like the Warcraft universe, where lesser magical items are bought and sold fairly regularly. I was wondering what you all thought was a good guideline for pricing magical items.

In my opinion, powerful magic itens or artifacts shoudn't have price, in any universe.

Common things, weaker magical itens, ok. In this case, try to compare with the non magic version just to have a base value.

14 minutes ago, Bellyon said:

In my opinion, powerful magic itens or artifacts shoudn't have price, in any universe.

Common things, weaker magical itens, ok. In this case, try to compare with the non magic version just to have a base value.

I was specifically talking about weaker magical items. In the context of Warcraft, I’m talking about things like Rings of Protection and Hearthstones, not Ashbringer or Atiesh.

Edited by Johan Marek Phoenix Knight

I'd price them the same way you'd price any other piece of gear. A ring of protection, for example, is just a magical piece of armour that provided Defense 2 or 3 and no soak. That's 500 currency for Defense 2 or 2,000 currency for Defense 3.

See pages 197–201 for pricing gear.

20 minutes ago, c__beck said:

I'd price them the same way you'd price any other piece of gear. A ring of protection, for example, is just a magical piece of armour that provided Defense 2 or 3 and no soak. That's 500 currency for Defense 2 or 2,000 currency for Defense 3.

See pages 197–201 for pricing gear.

What about things that add to characteristics, like Gauntlets of Ogre Strength?

This is always an interesting topic...to buy and sell magic items, or not.

On the one hand there is the view that something so valuable, precious, rare and special would never be bought or sold.

On another hand, one of the things that adventurers do is collect loot of the precious but non-magical variety.  They want/need to do something with it, and since they aren't likely to settle down as many would with a financial windfall (thus stopping being an adventurer) they need to spend it on stuff, and soon enough they have the best non-magical gear and still have tons of loot with nothing to spend it on.

On the final hand, if economics teaches anything is that there is a price for everything.  Someone with a magic sword would definitely sell it for the right price, especially if the circumstances are right, such as facing starvation, or maybe retiring and not needing a sword, but acquiring a nice house on a plot of land would be just the thing.

Since the game is about adventurers, and they will acquire loot, I feel (as I'm often the DM) that they have to have some outlet for the loot, to both spend it on something valuable that will make them better at their job (adventuring) and lighten their load.  So I will allow items to be bought and sold, even the truly epic and precious kind.  The price of those types of items might be so high that no one could pay for it, but there's still a price (maybe payable in blood and lives then, which adds to the danger of their career choice).  The method of buying and selling then becomes the question.  I'm not in favor of 'magic shops'; while convenient for DM and player, it's not very realistic and IMO tends to devalue the items a bit (But it can be done well and very entertaining, just look at the Critical Roll series for how the DM Matt Mercer does it).  I'd prefer something like agents acting as go betweens for buyers and sellers of items.  These are pros who make a living moving precious items for loads of treasure.  I usually have them have the backing of powerful groups like cults and churches, rulers, guilds and such.  It gives them legitimacy and structure.  And, the cool thing with Genesys is you can simulate all of that process with the purchasing methods they already have presented based on rarity, legality and such.

Just some thoughts on this, it's a tough question no matter how you go about it.

The one thing I did in my fantasy game was add old school electrum pieces back into the currency.  Most consumables are priced in silver, durable mundane goods (swords, armor, etc.) in electrum, and gold was reserved for larger transactions (ships, buildings), finally there is platinum and even above that I have value plaques from my 'trade guild' that represent large sums.  It allows me to scale prices better I think.

6 hours ago, c__beck said:

Sounds like a fantasy version of the cybernetic arms! +1 Brawn (and only one can be used). That's where I'd price it.

Would you keep the Strain reduction that comes from the Cybernetic bits? 

Edited by Cyvaris

5 hours ago, Cyvaris said:

Would you keep the Strain reduction that comes from the Cybernetic bits? 

I'd keep for some reasons. Game balance first, but i think that these powerful magic itens also affect the characters. Like if these itens are consuming part of the focus of the characters. Powerful itens could consume even more, like some artifacts.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:32 PM, Bellyon said:

I'd keep for some reasons. Game balance first, but i think that these powerful magic itens also affect the characters. Like if these itens are consuming part of the focus of the characters. Powerful itens could consume even more, like some artifacts.

It sort of mimics that other game that's in its Fifth printing "attunement" mechanic. You could easily make a Talent or to that either reduce the Strain cost too, though I'd put them at higher Tiers. Maybe 4 or 5. 

7 hours ago, Cyvaris said:

It sort of mimics that other game that's in its Fifth printing "attunement" mechanic. You could easily make a Talent or to that either reduce the Strain cost too, though I'd put them at higher Tiers. Maybe 4 or 5. 

I don't know if already has something like what I wish to see, but I'd like a rankable talent that provide +1 virtual Strain just to be used by itens like this (cyber, magic, etc.). I guess it's more balanced than reducing the strain penality.