jocke01

How do you use standby tokens?

i've not see standby used.. yet.. even for bikes.. probably play with just over 25% terrain area and scatter and large walls..

i was thinking of trying to cave out a cave interior base.. for a more corridor effect map..  

when we have try to play it.. i've seen people just measure the 2 range and stay out of range 

5 hours ago, xbeaker said:

The best time to use it is when your troops are behind FULL cover.  As in no LOS to other units.  It can be great when you are behind to high cover, defending.  Opponent knows they can't move around the cover to shoot, because if they do you will get first shot on them.  For the fleet troopers it can also be useful if you have a speeder unit coming in on you that is currently out of range.  Rather than moving to the speeder, sit still behind cover and standby, it will move then you can shoot.  

Fleet troops are meant to work best in tight spaces, like, say, the corridors of a ship.  They are ambushers who stand around a corner and dare you to poke your head out. :)

This. You need to hide behind buildings, tall rocks, etc.. If all you have is barricades for terrain, then you can pass on fleet troopers.

1 hour ago, milarky said:

when we have try to play it.. i've seen people just measure the 2 range and stay out of range 

But that's the whole point; it discourages people from entering range 2 of your unit. It's area denial. Standby is a niche action, but it's a nice option to have sometimes.

I've found that it does great with changing the attack plans of your opponent since they'll probably try to at least give you a suppression to prevent the standby from triggering. So its good if you're trying to protect something and maybe have a wounded trooper unit that might die anyway take a standby. But there are a lot of cases to use it and I think with Fleet troopers and future expansions, it'll be a mechanic thats explored more. 

Also from what I gather, vehicles cannot perform standby actions right? Only troopers?

13 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

Standby is going to be an action where you want to hold an objective. Intercept the Transmissions is a good example. You have 3 stationary tokens on the field and need to be in range 1. Assuming you have cover, fleet troopers in standby will want to just sit on the objective and dare anyone to come close. Since you score on 2/4/6, those are the rounds to standby. On 1/3/5, you are moving to the objective or moving and shooting. This strategy is even stronger if you can block LOS, even though it seem counter intuitive. Think of standby as a deterrent instead of a delayed attack option.

You can also set up traps against compulsory move units. Standby also works great against melee units, relentless, and charge. Once the spec ops unit drops, I think there is a proton bomb upgrade that lets you set up mines. Combine that with fleet troopers and you can create a very defensible position. 

If you're not looking to camp objectives, standby will probably be wasted. It will be more effective to always move and shoot, or double move and assign an order to activate first. 

I don't think you want the fleet troopers ON the objectives. Your opponents is going to want to kill whatever is holding the objectives no matter what it is. What fleet troopers do really well is attract attention, because you can't move into their vicinity without shooting them first. So if you have some rebel troopers camping the objective, with the fleet troopers running interdiction, the rebel troopers are basically safe until the fleet troopers are dead. No one will want to move into close range of the fleet troopers while they're on standby, and they stay on standby until they get shot at. So they're basically bullet sponges.

Give your opponent something else to shoot at. Line up an ATRT flamer to come in from another direction, and put your unit on standby, They now have target anxiety, take a shot at the ATRT and your units standby triggers and they shoot back of shoot your infantry and suppress them losing the standby by but leaving the ATRT unmolested for an attack t following round.

As said earlier, set up traps out of LOS, sitting in cover protecting objectives when you have nothing else to do. 

Setting up a bank of units on standby so that if a unit comes into range they get multiple units firing back. Yes one unit may get suppressed but if another 2 units get to shoot including scatter guns in the mix, then the advancing unit is not long for whatever world you are on, which forces your opponent to sacrifice a unit , to combined fire while trying to break your line.

3 hours ago, Fauste said:

That is correct,  vehicles cannot perform standby actions.

Thanks, I've heard people talk about giving standbys to their AT-RTs but I couldn't remember if they could or not. 

3 hours ago, Chucknuckle said:

I don't think you want the fleet troopers ON the objectives. Your opponents is going to want to kill whatever is holding the objectives no matter what it is. What fleet troopers do really well is attract attention, because you can't move into their vicinity without shooting them first. So if you have some rebel troopers camping the objective, with the fleet troopers running interdiction, the rebel troopers are basically safe until the fleet troopers are dead. No one will want to move into close range of the fleet troopers while they're on standby, and they stay on standby until they get shot at. So they're basically bullet sponges.

I agree- fleet troopers are definitely target diversion. Even just moving them closer to enemies and shooting at range 2, thats a lot of dice you're throwing at them, especially with the scatter gun so your opponent will either have to move away from them, or target them directly, letting you have a round to bring in other units without much worry that they'll get attacked.

I like your idea of camping with rebel troopers and then having fleet troopers up front to soak up fire. Position the fleet troopers up in front of the rebel troopers so their range 2 is the rebel troopers' range 3 so you essentially form a "kill zone" where anything that comes close has to deal with a lot of fire. Then bring in an AT-RT with laser cannon or rotary blaster and you'd have 3 units able to hold an objective pretty dang well. 

3 hours ago, BadMotivator said:

Really people need to play with more terrain. There should be places where units can stand without being seen more than range 2 away. 

That said, Standby could probably stand to be increased to range 3.

On the TTS, most maps actually have very few chances to standby properly.

Standby really needs to be changed to "When an enemy unit in range activates" you can spend it, or at least have it changed to work with the range of the weapon of the unit taking the action. At the moment it's pretty much a pointless option.

With proper terrain standby is great. It isn't meant to be take free shots at range 3 at anything that activates outside of your units activation. It is meant to be, if anything moves around this corner, take it down, type thing.

35 minutes ago, Mep said:

With proper terrain standby is great. It isn't meant to be take free shots at range 3 at anything that activates outside of your units activation. It is meant to be, if anything moves around this corner, take it down, type thing.

Let's not get too hyperbolic.

With blocking terrain and convenient objective placement, standby can be useful.

This is a fair statement. It's not "great" and how terrain is configured vs objectives can easily render it pointless.

7 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

Let's not get too hyperbolic.

With blocking terrain and convenient objective placement, standby can be useful.

This is a fair statement. It's not "great" and how terrain is configured vs objectives can easily render it pointless.

Yes, it is situational, which makes it not great all around. It isn't useless and good players will put it to good use. Is it worth the point? I don't know, is a flame thrower worth the points or grappling hooks? The answer is yes if you can set up the proper tactical situation for those short of things. If you are good at tactics and have the terrain to be tactical, it can get great. It won't be every game and not by every player.

BTW well rounded isn't great either. It is just jack of all traits sort of thing. To be the master of something is to be great, even if they are one trick ponies.

Just want to share a rather clever use for standby my opponent discovered this week.

My Luke was engaged with one of his units and I had played Son of Skywalker that round. I had used Battle Meditation to issue the command to my airspeeder, so Luke was not the first to act that round. My opponent moved another unit into LOS and range 2 of Luke, but obviously could not shoot at him. He goes on standby knowing that Luke is likely to wipe out the engaged unit and allow an attack via standby (an attack that otherwise would not have happened that round). So he was in a win-win situation. Either I choose not to use Son of Skywalker to protect Luke from a ranged attack (and keep his engaged unit alive), or I do use it and he gets a shot at Luke.

In this case, that other engaged unit was my opponent's Luke so I opted to use Son of Skywalker to defeat his commander.

Standby is a good rule. It allows people to create ambushes etc. (ie someone comes around a corner, you shoot them).

Ambushes need suitable terrain to work (Cant easily ambush when you are stood in a field)

Standby needs suitable terrain to be effective.

IF you have the recommended terrain on the board, Standby (and fleet troopers) can be pretty good.

If you don't and are shooting across a field, with the odd wall... they aren't very good.

Regardless though... they still look pretty cool, but will get out-shot by stormtroopers and choked by Vader!

8 hours ago, Dave Grant said:

Regardless though... they still look pretty cool, but will get out-shot by stormtroopers and choked by Vader!

Maybe so... 

...but their noble sacrifice will buy the Princess enough time to accomplish her objective, (and score her victory points)!

Such an odd action in the game currently.  Ive seen it.used to good effect currently and I have a theory on why it might be so limited.

So first, it is a good area denial weapon.  Objectives, but also for a unit defending another one.  Say leia is behind a unit of fleet troopers, for the enemy to shoot at Leia, they must move into range 2 of the unit.  Works pretty well actually.

The one area I think it might have been OP were it stronger is with melee oriented units.  If we get melee only or melee centric units in the future, it would be incredibly strong were it say, range 1-3.