Sign in to follow this  
bellamabel2018

I have a question

I am a solo player and run 3 characters , here are few things I am confused about

1. If an elder sign is played and doom token removed..do you ALSO remove monsters with relative symbol as when gates are closed with clues?

2. If Character lands on a gate that has 2 clues and a monster. is this the proper sequence?

a.  remove clues

b.evade or fight monster

c.go thru gate

Posted (edited)

1. Yes, when gate is removed the monsters with same symbol goes away.

2. There can't be clues where there is a gate. The clues get removed when a gate opens. If your investigator lands on a place with monsters and clues or monster and gate, you have to first handle the monster. Evade or fight.

Edited by USAK
Spelling

3 hours ago, USAK said:

1. Yes, when gate is removed the monsters with same symbol goes away.

2. There can't be clues where there is a gate. The clues get removed when a gate opens. If your investigator lands on a place with monsters and clues or monster and gate, you have to first handle the monster. Evade or fight.

Expanding on this answer:

1. Removing matching monsters is tied to the removal of the gate token from the board (either by an action of closing the gate, or sealing, via clues or Elder sign doesn't matter)

2. This answer is partially not correct: when an investigator lands on a gate with monsters, he gets a free pass against the monsters on the gate for the movement phase of the round he returns to Arkham. This means that if you return to Arkham during movement (as in most cases), you can choose to ignore these monsters, but if you're forced to return to Arkham in a different later phase (for example as a result of an OW encounter), then you'll have a movement phase in the following round before your attempt at sealing / closing: in this case, you don't get any free pass. Also, the free pass allows you to cherry pick which monsters on the gate to fight: you can ignore them all, or decide to fight one and ignore the others, and so on, in any combination of your choosing.

13 hours ago, Julia said:

Also, the free pass allows you to cherry pick which monsters on the gate to fight: you can ignore them all, or decide to fight one and ignore the others, and so on, in any combination of your choosing.

After all this years there was still something I didn't knew about this game. I do hope this tidbit is included in the Penultimate FAQ.