Cryix

What's with the 2.0 expansion packaging?

Looking forward to 2.0 but I saw this video in another thread and I really don't understand this new packaging. I'm definitely not a big fan of the clamshell they have now but the plain black box and the way the model blister is attached the front seems very strange to me. Its like you have to completely destroy the box to open it. I guess that's anti-theft design?

Anyone else think this is a weird direction to go or have some insight into this i am missing?

Edited by Cryix

Well, from my point of view it's different in order to distinguish it from a 1.0 product.

You can easily take a box-cutter/hobby knife and cut the clear plastic all the way around the plastic bubble to separate it from the box, leaving you with a nice black box which you could then use to keep and store the punch-board that you're not going to use. No need to actually destroy the packaging unless you want to.

I have a hard time throwing some of that stuff away because my "One day I'm going to need it!" mentality. But in the end it's just clutter.

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Well, from my point of view it's different in order to distinguish it from a 1.0 product.

You can easily take a box-cutter/hobby knife and cut the clear plastic all the way around the plastic bubble to separate it from the box, leaving you with a nice black box which you could then use to keep and store the punch-board that you're not going to use. No need to actually destroy the packaging unless you want to.

I have a hard time throwing some of that stuff away because my "One day I'm going to need it!" mentality. But in the end it's just clutter.

Image result for from my point of view the jedi are evil gif

Couldn't resist after I read your opening sentence haha.

I agree though, and I'm exactly the same. I have a draw full of 1.0 packaging 'because I might need it', when really all I need is that little proof of purchase ticket.

21 minutes ago, BVRCH said:

Image result for from my point of view the jedi are evil gif

Couldn't resist after I read your opening sentence haha.

I agree though, and I'm exactly the same. I have a draw full of 1.0 packaging 'because I might need it', when really all I need is that little proof of purchase ticket.

Seeing this and reading about the "need" to save the packaging, I cant help but think of 

https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4c029d97-88db-4107-87c1-f6379d0d0e91/text 

Edited by Echoseven

8 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

Nah I’d just cut 3 sides just below the seal line and flip it open. Buuuut it was a hassle and meant no playing with it in the car. Not ok, not at all.

You are allowed to carry a knife or box cutter in public.  The TSA don’t search your car.   Yet.

every x-wing ship I’ve ever gotten were zoom-zoomed in the car!

Edited by GrimmyV

The cardboard 'box' part of the package is super easy to open - it has little tape tabs on the top - so you can easily get to *all* of the punch, cards, and base/dial plastic. The blister holding the ship is very easy to cut away from the cardboard 'box' part by just making a slice along the bottom and each side of the second front cardstock layer of the box (there is a second layer of black cardstock that holds the plastic blister in place).

Opening these packages is easier that the previous packaging, it is more useful after opening, it is easier to separate components in a functional way, and it's better for the environment.

I don't have any idea how you would think this requires more effort or 'destruction' than the previous packaging, which required cutting / slicing through thicker plastic (that could easily cut you back), and in much larger areas to get at anything inside.

The new packaging is superior in literally every way.

7 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

The box part has an extra layer of cardstock over the front with a hole in it that the plastic bubble pokes through. You can actually just slice off that extra front piece cleanly, and leave the box and the bubble piece perfectly intact.

Source: That's how I opened the T-65 I got at the same event

Edited by Aaron Foss

1 hour ago, Aaron Foss said:

I don't have any idea how you would think this requires more effort or 'destruction' than the previous packaging, which required cutting / slicing through thicker plastic (that could easily cut you back), and in much larger areas to get at anything inside.

The new packaging is superior in literally every way.

Superior to the clamshells is a low bar but I like all the points everyone makes. 

14 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Exactly. I threw out all of my ship holding inserts a while ago, but then I made a trade and regretted throwing them away. (My brother and I filled an entire Rubbermade tote with them because we might need them) This is what happens when you clear clutter, You need it as soon as you throw it out.

Yay!  Frustration free packaging.  Unless you are obsessive compulsive about destroying cardboard boxes to get to blister packs.  Then you'll still be frustrated.

I just like that you can get to the base chits and upgrade cards without needing a knife.  That makes card diving on league nights when you buy an expansion pack a lot easier.