Sign in to follow this  
Felswrath

What SHOULD Royal Guards Fly?

The lore has had the Emperor's Royal Guard in Tie Ins (Tie Interceptors). To me this doesn't feel right. These fighters are very fast, and deadly, but kind of Squishy. To me the ship that fits them more is the Tie Advanced. It can take a good beating and is still deadly. This feels more like what Royal Guards would fly to me. What do others think?

I could see Royal Guards flying TIE Defenders personally. 

I think maybe it's because Palpatine wants to toughen them up? There's also rumors in the extended universe that the Royal Guards are occasionally forced to wear red-colored Stormtrooper armor and battle on the front lines, to prove their mettle. So maybe the Interceptors are the same sort of thing - a way for the Royal Guards to prove their worth by surviving one of those deathtraps.

Royal Guard Interceptors were closer to the TIE Advanced or Defender than you would think, as they had decent shields and hyperdrive, and were more maneuverable than the normal Squint.  I'm fine with them being flown, though if I had to replace them, the Defender is the best choice. 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, Kieransi said:

I could see Royal Guards flying TIE Defenders personally. 

I think maybe it's because Palpatine wants to toughen them up? There's also rumors in the extended universe that the Royal Guards are occasionally forced to wear red-colored Stormtrooper armor and battle on the front lines, to prove their mettle. So maybe the Interceptors are the same sort of thing - a way for the Royal Guards to prove their worth by surviving one of those deathtraps.

I can confirm at least in part that royal guards did wear red stormtrooper armor on occasion in the old EU, probably when deployed in the field. I have some WEG source material that had Lumiya command a large number of them...

I can see Interceptors because of it's availability. A skilled pilot was a terror in the cockpit of one of those, plus they were supposedly heavily modified for use so they weren't the standard death trap either...

17 hours ago, LagJanson said:

plus they were supposedly heavily modified for use so they weren't the standard death trap either...

Exactly. The whole reason "Royal Guard TIE" is a thing is because of how customised those fighters were supposed to be compared to standard TIE/in.