RayGuns

The X-Wing's articulating S-Foils.

I have to say that the articulating S-Foils are pretty neat, but how delicate will they be? Will repeated opening and closing of the S-Foils every time you flip the card cause them to eventually malfunction and/or break? In the demo video FFG posted, they look like they soft-snap into position (pretty cool!), but in a demo game video on YouTube you can see Alex having to fiddle with them to get them to stay open.

Closing the S-Foils should be easy enough, and this will be useful when storing the miniature... or landing. This is what happens when a 1.0 X-Wing (fixed S-Foils) tries to land.

215.jpg

32 minutes ago, Innese said:

They stated in one of the videos that you don’t have to change the model when you flip the card if you don’t want to.

I was wondering about that; not being a tourney player myself, but I was curious if FFG tourneys would require use of the articulating models. 
I haven't watched all the videos so thanks!

45 minutes ago, RayGuns said:

In the demo video FFG posted, they look like they soft-snap into position (pretty cool!), but in a demo game video on YouTube you can see Alex having to fiddle with them to get them to stay open.

I noticed that too... I hope that one is just a prototype  and the final product behaves better than that.

44 minutes ago, Innese said:

They stated in one of the videos that you don’t have to change the model when you flip the card if you don’t want to.

Though you probably should. Just to ensure your opponent can fairly keep track of what your S-Foils are doing.

11 minutes ago, stuffedskullcat said:

I was wondering about that; not being a tourney player myself, but I was curious if FFG tourneys would require use of the articulating models. 

They mentioned that they weren’t going to make it a rule, which makes sense since you’d otherwise be reaching into a tangled mob of ships to move a tiny bit of plastic, risking bumps galore.

I did have an opponent a few weeks back at a monthly store tournament actually call a judge on me, saying I was cheating... I was flying a U-wing (Ungainly ship that it is), and before the match had even discussed with my opponent that I was starting it on the +1 agility mode, had the card perfectly visible, and had gotten a verbal confirmation from him that it was okay to leave the model itself on the wings-forward configuration, to cut down on interfence with other models.

He said I was cheating for not having the model correctly display the state of the card. Both the judge and I knew there was no such rule, and a spectator who had been there the whole match confirmed I had been completely upfront with my opponent the entire time, yet he kept pushing for me to be issued a game-loss. Irked me to no end...

26 minutes ago, Innese said:

They mentioned that they weren’t going to make it a rule, which makes sense since you’d otherwise be reaching into a tangled mob of ships to move a tiny bit of plastic, risking bumps galore.

I did have an opponent a few weeks back at a monthly store tournament actually call a judge on me, saying I was cheating... I was flying a U-wing (Ungainly ship that it is), and before the match had even discussed with my opponent that I was starting it on the +1 agility mode, had the card perfectly visible, and had gotten a verbal confirmation from him that it was okay to leave the model itself on the wings-forward configuration, to cut down on interfence with other models.

He said I was cheating for not having the model correctly display the state of the card. Both the judge and I knew there was no such rule, and a spectator who had been there the whole match confirmed I had been completely upfront with my opponent the entire time, yet he kept pushing for me to be issued a game-loss. Irked me to no end...

Hey if he wants to be that way, when you destroy one of his ships, tell him it needs to be displayed correctly and reach over and crush it.  But to be serious, since all x-wing models are going to be legal, their wings do not open and close so it would be silly to require it on just the new ones.

1 hour ago, Herowannabe said:

Also the X-Wings in the demo videos were undoubtedly prototypes, and may or may not reflect how well the final product works. 

Fortunately FFG has a great track record of replacing defective models. Hopefully that won’t be needed though. 

All of the X-Wings we've seen in peoples hands have been quite snappy and responsive.  Also, keep in mind that TC video was filmed quite a while ago, so the model that Alex had was very likely a prototype or possibly even 3d printed.

Just now, Toni Wan Kenobe said:

I noticed that too... I hope that one is just a prototype  and the final product behaves better than that.

Skip to 9:45, they open easily, just push the engines. 

There is no reason to not open/close them when you flip the card, as you flip before you move. If you can reach the base to move it, you can reach the engines to open/close the wings, and it takes a nominal time to do, and will take no more than a sum of 1 minute throughout the whole game, so it is not "Slow Play".

1 hour ago, Innese said:

Dude.... that sucks. I’m sorry.  Tournaments are already long enough, just to deal with that?  Ugh

4 minutes ago, Ccwebb said:

Dude.... that sucks. I’m sorry.  Tournaments are already long enough, just to deal with that?  Ugh

Had it been a higher level event I could understand to some degree, but this was just a monthly store event for a kit that we all practically had everything from.

35 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

All of the X-Wings we've seen in peoples hands have been quite snappy and responsive.  Also, keep in mind that TC video was filmed quite a while ago, so the model that Alex had was very likely a prototype or possibly even 3d printed.

I guess I wasn’t clear enough, but that’s what I was getting at, too. I suspect that the actual models will be better than the prototypes we’ve seen (and the TC video is the only one I’ve seen- I haven’t watched the others yet). And if you do have an issue with one you’ll probably be able to get FFG to replace it. 

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Though you probably should. Just to ensure your opponent can fairly keep track of what your S-Foils are doing.

Surely we can use a counter, marker or some other effective way of indicating the s-foil's position. I love X-Wings and don't really want to replace them all.

2 hours ago, stuffedskullcat said:

You can use your old models....  you can mod your models you can pretty much do anything as long as the cardboard is right.

2 hours ago, Innese said:

After the event, was the player going around telling everyone how expensive it would be to move to 2nd edition and that 40k was a much more affordable game?

7 hours ago, stuffedskullcat said:

The old models should still be legal (or what's the point of the Conversion kits?), so I can't imagine they would require it for tournaments.

4 hours ago, Wolfmanhays said:

Why aren't they motorized? They should be Bluetooth synced to the card. This is ridiculous that FFG released a product that has to be manually adjusted.  

Bluetooth?  If they're going to increase the price of ships like this, I expect FFG to develop an entirely new standard with half the latency and twice the battery life of Bluetooth!  ?

Edited by JJ48

6 hours ago, Conandoodle said:

Surely we can use a counter, marker or some other effective way of indicating the s-foil's position. I love X-Wings and don't really want to replace them all.

I know this is a crazy idea, but how about we use a card? We could even call it Servomotor S-Foils or something!

Edited by GizmotronX5000