Sign in to follow this  
Duciris

The Forgotten Age talk - light spoilers

I am thoroughly in love with the new arc.

I could not enjoy the Exploration Deck more.  This is an incredible, new mechanic that makes The Forgotten Age feel utterly unlike the previous campaigns, and it feels exactly right for the situation.

Welp. We died. On easy.  

Now that we're not playing blind, we shall see if we have better chance. 

Advanced warning: Do NOT play as Carolyn with her replacement cards. Just don't. To Fight the Black Wind is an impossible weakness. In a scenario that only has 2 long agendas and is riddled with monsters, you don't stand a chance. Unfortunately, because enemy attacks deal horror and the round ends before you even get a turn to attempt to heal it, unless all enemies are unengaged (or exhausted if they're hunters), you will suffer double doom for half of the entire scenario. In our game, this was pretty much every round.

Edited by Soakman

12 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Oh dang.

Hey, @Soakman, how do you do the Spoiler.  I never seem to remember.

You use brackets and enclose the word 'spoiler' at the beginning and use brackets and enclose the word '/spoiler' at the end.

We played with Mateo and Finn. Finn was at 2 health and 2 sanity at the end while Mateo was full up. We were both extremely flush with cash. 

I need to put in a willpower pumpable. He definitely has the money to support it.

10 hours ago, Elrodthealbino said:

We played with Mateo and Finn. Finn was at 2 health and 2 sanity at the end while Mateo was full up. We were both extremely flush with cash. 

I need to put in a willpower pumpable. He definitely has the money to support it.

Do you happen to have a link to your Mateo deck? I am working on one and wanted to see what other people are running with him.

We got smashed on health the first scenario, but did alright.  On a whim, we replayed it to see if we could do it without taking Vengeance or Poison (previously 3,2).  We took only 1 poison, but 0 Vengeance, so we called that a win.

I love the provisions.

*Edit Wonky Spoiler text within Spoiler text to follow.  Tried but failed to have 2 separate spoiler sections, but I can't seem to edit it further.:huh:  Oh well, the first is more minor than the second, so it works I guess.

Provisions spoiler:

I have only not seen 1 of the provisions used.  All of the other ones are important, or at the very least useful.  Ended up taking 1 Mental on Leo and 2 on Ursula and started the 2nd mission with only 2 resources each because we didn't have X, Y or Z provisions.  I love it.

We took mental trauma, reasoning the first mission was so heavy on health, "Surely this will be a health heavy campaign."  Famous last words.

At the moment, some of the provisions are useful in the scenarios, some are useful in the interim.  So when do you want an advantage?

Ursula took Medicine, Torches, & Compass.  Leo took Canteen, Rope, & Chalk.  Worked well so far. 

2nd scenario spoiler:

The doom timer really pushes you on this one, especially if you're not finding connecting locations from the Exploration Deck.  Good news: the more locations you explore, the more screwed you'll end up!

:lol:

We successfully grabbed the MacGuffin, and then turned around with 1 action to sprint out of the building (which would have taken 5 actions).  Good news, again: if you fail but at least have the item, you're permitted to try again or move on with consequences.  Two tries later (the second try we could not draw into our core kits) we completed the mission successfully.  Really enjoyed it and the two new characters.

Edited by Duciris
I was testing the spoiler settings before filling them in

Easily my favorite start to a campaign thus far. We survived, but going into the third scenario, we have three trauma already between the two of us. The provisions mechanic is great... will be interesting to see what happens with it later in the adventure.

On 5/14/2018 at 6:05 PM, pmemmer said:

Easily my favorite start to a campaign thus far. We survived, but going into the third scenario, we have three trauma already between the two of us. The provisions mechanic is great... will be interesting to see what happens with it later in the adventure.

I'm curious as well, because after these first two scenarios, we are ostensibly going back to civilization. So will we have the chance to pick up more supplies if we go back out, or what? Who knows until we get those scenarios, I guess.

6 hours ago, mwmcintyre said:

I'm curious as well, because after these first two scenarios, we are ostensibly going back to civilization. So will we have the chance to pick up more supplies if we go back out, or what? Who knows until we get those scenarios, I guess.

Exactly.  Do we keep our original supplies?  Do we get new ones?  I'm so excited!

11 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Exactly.  Do we keep our original supplies?  Do we get new ones?  I'm so excited!

Some things are explicitly crossed off, some aren't.  So I'm assuming we'll keep what hasn't been expended.

By the way, did anyone else take the useless thing?  After the things I felt I must have, I had one extra point, so I took it.

Edited by CSerpent

3 minutes ago, CSerpent said:

Some things are explicitly crossed off, some aren't.  So I'm assuming we'll what hasn't been expended.

By the way, did anyone else take the useless thing?  After the things I felt I must have, I had one extra point, so I took it.

Not yet, and that's a good point.  I'll wager it [the useless thing] comes up latter.  That alone indicates to me that we keep what we have.  I now expect to gather additional items - more things we crossed off, etc.

Another question on that, will there be things we couldn't get before?  Will thing we were able to get before that we won't be able to get latter?  Is the useless thing even an option to pick up down the road, closer to where it used?!?

I'm still so excited!!:D

None of these emojis properly convey my excitement.  This is the closest, but it really doesn't capture it.  Shame.

5 minutes ago, retrodaniel said:

I wouldn't put it past them to make one of the results, it being useless. Although tbh, a three wild icon card isn't exactly bad either way

No, not that useless thing.  I fully expect that to be the centerpiece of the campaign.  We're talking supplies.

Right, the other useless thing.  :lol:

It's a shame about that useless thing though.  Dr. Elli Hororwitz can summon it and put it into play.  And then, it's a really useless thing!

AHC19_21.jpg

Unless, there is a point where you want it in play to trigger something else.

Wait, didn't we give it to a museum or Harlan Earnstone?  Why didn't we remove it from our inventory...? 

Edited by Duciris

I think the useless thing is a dark souls reference

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/11/06/dark-souls-creator-reveals-the-true-power-of-the-pendant/ 

Leo got bitten three time by a snake during the first scenario and drew two pit vipers in my first run through, then fell off the rope bridge. Ursula was quite impressed with his example after losing out as Expedition Leader..:D.

Edited by bern1106

The Temple of Fang and the Overgrown Ruins both are connected to a location (symbol with two parallel lines on a turquoise ground). This location doesn't seem to exist. Is this some trickery of Yig?

And the Harbinger of Valusia reminds me strongly of the Viper King from XCOM 2. Both look similar, both disappear after some damage and return later (I guess), both can hardly be killed in a single mission.

11 minutes ago, Astrophil84 said:

The Temple of Fang and the Overgrown Ruins both are connected to a location (symbol with two parallel lines on a turquoise ground). This location doesn't seem to exist. Is this some trickery of Yig?

And the Harbinger of Valusia reminds me strongly of the Viper King from XCOM 2. Both look similar, both disappear after some damage and return later (I guess), both can hardly be killed in a single mission.

Future proofing for Return to the Forgotten Age? Or more likely, a future scenario in this campaign reuses the locations from this set and adds that symbol.

Edited by Network57

Agreed.  The Rainforest is a Deluxe Generic encounter set.  I'd have to check my notes (at home), but I believe that all of the non-scenario specific encounter sets in the deluxe expansions have been each used in multiple scenarios.

I'm sure we'll end up in that rainforest again before we know it.  Hopefully, we'll find a new path to more adventure!