Sign in to follow this  
Qwrety77

How do you run the AT-ST?

I've only played one game with the AT-ST, and it was with Limited Visibility, so it may go differently in other games, but I played it pretty conservatively, and it didn't do a whole lot. I played one game against an AT-ST, and I completely ignored it until I had wiped literally everything else off the board. I'm starting to think that the way to play a single AT-ST is to march it up in your opponent's grill and make him target it. I hear all sorts of stuff about how easily they can go down, but your other units are even squishier. Any pointers on running 1 AT-ST?

I ran 1 in a list the other day, had a blast.  

I lined up next to my veers and straight across from their commander.  

Veers gave it an aim token.  First turn it moved forward, and then arsenal 2 with the aim token, all at the commander.  

Each round it was punishing until it malfunctioned.  

It died on round 4/5 I think and had occupied most of the game right in the middle attacking and soaking hits.  

In my opinion, given current list-building options, 1 ATST is kind of bad. 

My favourite list at the moment is Veer + 2 ATST. 

A single ATST + Vader is too many points for too few units. The two don't sync well. Vader is much better served with 2 or 3 units of Speeder Bikes. 

If you don't own / don't want to buy a second ATST, I recommend Veers + ATST + 2x Speeder Bikes, however I still think 2 ATST is better. 

Oh, and personally I deck my ATSTs out with Mortar launcher and Grenade Launcher to ensure I have two weapons to fire every turn starting turn one. Use Suppression to your advantage. As you can imagine, Limited Visibility is literally the worst card you can have - do everything in your power to eliminate it.

33 minutes ago, Copes said:

In my opinion, given current list-building options, 1 ATST is kind of bad. 

My favourite list at the moment is Veer + 2 ATST. 

A single ATST + Vader is too many points for too few units. The two don't sync well. Vader is much better served with 2 or 3 units of Speeder Bikes. 

If you don't own / don't want to buy a second ATST, I recommend Veers + ATST + 2x Speeder Bikes, however I still think 2 ATST is better. 

Oh, and personally I deck my ATSTs out with Mortar launcher and Grenade Launcher to ensure I have two weapons to fire every turn starting turn one. Use Suppression to your advantage. As you can imagine, Limited Visibility is literally the worst card you can have - do everything in your power to eliminate it.

That's what I've been gathering. Limited Visibility was the 3rd option, so of course my opponent used both eliminations to get it. I'll definitely run it again soon, but I did trooper/bike spam in a tournament over the weekend and wrecked everything. To be fair, though, the dice were definitely on my side all day.

16 minutes ago, Qwrety77 said:

That's what I've been gathering. Limited Visibility was the 3rd option, so of course my opponent used both eliminations to get it. I'll definitely run it again soon, but I did trooper/bike spam in a tournament over the weekend and wrecked everything. To be fair, though, the dice were definitely on my side all day.

With so few unit types, Trooper / Bikes seem to be more optimal. As I've said, the only really decent AT-ST build I've seen requires two of them. Every other effective Imp list is a combination of Troopers and Bikes.

I keep seeing battle reports where people play way to conservatively by deploying them way in the back, barely moving or getting them in range of shooting and thus end up doing nothing. I understand though, since you want to "protect" your high point investment. But I think the key to them is to get them out and using both weapons as much as possible. They dont capture objectives so I'd use it to make sure it's doling out suppression at the very least.

10 hours ago, Copes said:

With so few unit types, Trooper / Bikes seem to be more optimal. As I've said, the only really decent AT-ST build I've seen requires two of them. Every other effective Imp list is a combination of Troopers and Bikes.

Agreed, I've been playing around with lists and it seems like Veers with two AT-STs with the rest as troopers is the best option, draws away the focused fire on the single AT-ST. Plus with two getting first round attacks, you can give a lot of suppression to the forward enemy infantry at the beginning of the game.

It'll be nice once we have special forces to include some cheaper strike teams into the double AT-ST list to add a couple more activations. 

@Copes Would you say a good strategy is to use Veers' command cards early game to ensure you're getting the activations to the AT-STs? 

11 hours ago, Jman444 said:

I keep seeing battle reports where people play way to conservatively by deploying them way in the back, barely moving or getting them in range of shooting and thus end up doing nothing. I understand though, since you want to "protect" your high point investment. But I think the key to them is to get them out and using both weapons as much as possible. They dont capture objectives so I'd use it to make sure it's doling out suppression at the very least.

Agreed, I've been playing around with lists and it seems like Veers with two AT-STs with the rest as troopers is the best option, draws away the focused fire on the single AT-ST. Plus with two getting first round attacks, you can give a lot of suppression to the forward enemy infantry at the beginning of the game.

It'll be nice once we have special forces to include some cheaper strike teams into the double AT-ST list to add a couple more activations. 

@Copes Would you say a good strategy is to use Veers' command cards early game to ensure you're getting the activations to the AT-STs? 

I find I use Veers' stuff early. Certain his 1 and 2 Pip. I had previously been using Assault first turn (and dealing to Veers + 2 AT-STs) followed by Maximum Fire Power 2nd turn, followed by Evasive Maneuvers 3rd turn. That made sense in my head. There is an argument for Maximum Fire Power first (could conceivably nuke a unit to death / suppress them off the board turn one between MF + 2 AT-STs) but I'm hesitant to use the 1 Pip that early and have no control over AT-ST activation. Still on the fence regarding how to play it. Likely dependent on opponent setup and terrain. 

You need to be passive-aggressive with it and play to the battlefield. Should be the last to deploy, always the first to get a command, and last to activate. If you keep it in range 3-4 of anything that is fleshy or light metal, you're golden. You don't have to move all the time either. Give it the aim from Veers, Shoot first, then depending on how the table look, either move or stay and dodge. Remember, you're not forced to move, and you don't have to move at your full speed. Targets should be Rebel Ions and AT-RTs. If a T-47 happens to fly into your massive arc, take it down, you're bound to break it one shot. Keep it towards the back of your army to where they need to either charge it or stay back and attack your troops. You should always remember you have Arsenal 2, don't rush it. I always have the mortar and the 88 Twin on mine. Either volley an attack at far away troopers or focus both guns on a commander or something with armor. Stay away from things with pierce or impact, those should be target #1. If you follow these, then you should have your walker still standing, not broken, by the end of the game. I have only lost mine once because a rebel was smart enough to target it with all the impact he had. My philosophy is, if you paid 200+ for it, you might want to keep it on the table for the whole game or you just wasted 1/4 of your points that could've been something else. 

If you want to see my list, PM me and I'll send it to you. 

Edited by AintNoPoser