Sign in to follow this  
Rutan

Jim and the seals

I have not had the opportunity to play yet (I try not to start another LCG but I am really interested in this game) though I am rather familiar with the mechanics and the game over all. This new mechanic where you can seal away certain chaos tokens combined with cards like Dark Prophesy and Olive the witch seem to make Jim rather good. Seal away one or two "bad chaos tokens", you don't really have to worry about the skulls and if you really need to pass, user the prophecy. Consistent draw if not extraordinary, which,if I understand the game right, is what you want.

Will this make Jim too good or just good enough?

Well, the protective incantation is a spell that requires an arcane slot and a resource per turn to keep it going. This means he won't be able to 'spell up' with both Shriveling/Song of the Dead and rite of seeking while it is out; he'll have to choose. The Cthonian stone takes a hand slot which will limit his weapon/ritual candle choices.

Are they worth taking with Jim? Absolutely. Will they make him overpowered? Probably not. I don't play Jim, but they will definitely be useful for groups that play with him. And sealing the 'bad tokens' is always good really even if you don't have Jim.

Edited by Soakman

If you were building a team with Jim in it, you might benefit.   I'm not sure that Jim wants these for himself.   Jim already has some slot problems.   On the hand front, he wants one hand open for his trumpet, his other hand he might want a Grotesque Statue,  he might want a Spirit Athamae,  he might want a Fire Axe, or a Machete...  With so many cards there that arguably benefit Jim more than the seal, it's hard to put a Cthonian stone on him.

Arcane slots are a similar problem.  He is going to want a shriveling and/or right of seeking, which limits him a lot.  He's also probably not rich enough to maintain a Protective Incantation for long.  

Overall, I'm sorry to say, I don't think it's that compelling.   Might be interesting for a try, but I don't think it's stronger than his other options.

I don't know how viable it was before The Forgotten Age because I haven't tried, but I think you could probably solo with Jim Culver now. 

Protective Incantation IS however a strong choice for Carolyn Fern if you are not loading her up with spells. If you focus on other means to heal and clue gather, she will have an empty arcane slot and if she can get Pete Sylvestre out, she may even have the extra resource every turn to fuel the sealing power of the incantation. Not sure you would want Jim and Carolyn on the same team (they both have means to heal horror).

But just a thought.