Boris_the_Dwarf

X-Wing 1.5

Update: The Force allocation at the start of the game, a 12-round limit, disregard of all errata, and a set of objectives are about the only real changes that made it through my testing. Also implemented the systems phase for bomb drops because that is a smart idea from 2.0. I am leaving the original post so you can see some of the ideas discussed. Also, NOTE - this is not a 1.0 vs. 2.0 discussion. Both concepts have pros and cons. This is for people who still want to have enjoyment from the product they paid for without having to dump a ton of money into a cardboard conversion.

———————————————————

So following the announcement and reading through the upcoming rules changes, it got me thinking about how much of what is new can be ported over into the current version of the game.

To be honest, while I plan to pick up at least one conversion kit for each faction, I’m not going to stop playing the original, as long as I have people to play it with. It’s about to be a closed game that quite frankly, I’ve spent too much on to just completely abandon. It’s not as broken as it’s been made out to be, and there’s still so much fun factor to be discovered.

With that said, here are the house rule ideas I’m looking to implement into first edition:

Standard point build is now 200 pts. Squads may not include more than 10 ships and no more than 4 of those may be large ships.

Force charges - At the start of the game, each player receives 6 Force charge tokens. Once per round, a player may spend one token to add a hit result or evade result to their dice roll. Once spent, a Force charge token may not be recovered.

The following is a new action considered to be on the action bar for ships that have it. It is called Use the Force.

Action: This turn, if you are not stressed when attacking or defending, you may convert all of your attack results to hits and all defense results to evades. The attacker’s dice cannot be modified or rerolled. You may use this action only once per game.

The following pilots gain the Use the Force action ability - Darth Vader, Kylo Ren, Gran Inquisitor, Luke Skywalker, Corran Horn, Ezra Bridger, and Ashoka Tano. 

When a ship with an ion token activates, it’s controller chooses one of the following: perform a straight, bank, or turn 1-speed maneuver that is considered green.

A ship with 3 stress tokens cannot be assigned additional stress tokens. If a card effect would require a stress token be placed next to a ship with 3 stress tokens, assign it a face up damage card instead.

Non unique pilots with the same name cost 1 less squad point when you have at least two other pilots with the same name and ship type in your fleet. For example, if you have 3 Academy Scout TIE Fighters, they each cost 11 pts. instead of 12.

Disregard all errata. All cards are played as written. 

————————

While I look forward to positive, constructive thoughts - it’s why I posted this in the first place, after all - please bear in mind that these are my house rules for a soon to be defunct game, so dismissing them out of hand won’t be of much use to anyone. That said, I’m open to suggestions that improve and/or build on these concepts.

Edited by Boris_the_Dwarf
Updated

2 minutes ago, Hexdot said:

In my opinion, your ideas are OK. We will not make the transition to 2.0 and our game is quite customiced, I named it "X Wing 1.x".

The main difference are MISIONS. We avoid 100/6 since 2015. Think cinematic. Add some RPG elements.  The reward is great.

I love the mission objective idea. That’s something else I’m working on, but I’m open to learning more about your solution.

I’m looking for concepts that end the game within 12-16 rounds, on average. A 4-hour kill em all is just wasted time to me.

55 minutes ago, Boris_the_Dwarf said:

Disregard all errata. All cards are played as written. 

Yeah, if you play really casual this will work nicely. If not, You will have 3 U-Boats duking it out every game

2 hours ago, ForceM said:

Yeah, if you play really casual this will work nicely. If not, You will have 3 U-Boats duking it out every game

In 100 pts., yeah it was a problem. In 200 pts., the experience has been that they run out of firepower fast.  

5 minutes ago, Boris_the_Dwarf said:

You must have missed the part about the squad building restrictions. No more than 4 large ships allowed.

That's still an 8 torp alpha that might delete enough so that afterwards t's not a competition anymore. And when in doubt, just play 2 Scurrg as a filler with deadeye and Harpoons...

I was expecting the 100/6 format, but using most of what 2.0 offers: limited regeneration, the new reinforce and evade rules, the "banned" harpoons, TLT, Bomblet Generator, System Phase, Barrel Roll, etc, etc.

Maybe that can be X-wing 1.5b for the person or group that goes in that direction.

Edited by Force Majeure

I’ll enjoy my retirement in the 1.0 home. Maybe I’ll start painting parts of my collection. I’ve always wanted a fire-engine red YV-666. Maybe I’ll focus on all the scenarios we’ve never played. Maybe instead of game night, we’ll call it death-match night. And the four or five casual players I know can duke it out with my collection. 1.0 will live on. It’s too playable and too significant not to.

If I were house-ruling to run a 1.X game to incorporate a bunch of 2.0 mechanics without needing any new stuff, I'd:

1. Separate the factions (Resistance, First Order now separate factions).

2. Drop some cross-faction ships: Firespray only Scum, Scurrg only Scum.

3. Ban the following cards: VI, Adaptability, Push the Limit, TLT, Harpoon Missiles, Guidance Chips, Autothrusters, Sabine Wren (crew), Cad Bane (crew), Bomblet Generator, all Mines, Extra Munitions, Gunner, Luke Skywalker (crew), IG-88D (crew), "Genius", A-Wing Test Pilot, Engine Upgrade. Some cards may need to be faction limited (e.g. Trajectory Simulator: B/SF Only).

4. All missiles/torps keep their target lock or focus. All get an Extra Munitions token.

5. TIE Interceptors, A-wings, TIE Silencer, Fang Fighter all get a second red action from their action bar after performing a Focus Action (essentially built-in PTL, but must start from Focus).

6. Cannon and turret secondary weapons get range bonuses/penalties. Blaster turret does not spend Focus.

7. All turrets are mobile arcs (approximate from the arc hashes you have -- you can measure backward from the current arcs, use a token to indicate what arc you are in). Ships with a turret all get the Rotate Arc action.

8. Evade tokens now just change green dice rather than adding results.

9. Regen ships/droids get up to their ship's shield value in tokens (max: 3) placed on them to indicate the number of times they may regen, and get a weapons disabled token when they do regen.

10. All bombs are drop on reveal only. All get an Extra Munitions token.

11. Barrel rolls: place template in approximate center of base; not infinitely adjustable on starting side but adjustable on ending side.

12. Ion move is now a green 1 straight.

13. HWK-290 is attack 2, turret; special: if you are not stressed, treat red maneuvers on your dial as white.

Edited by Hawkstrike

3 hours ago, ForceM said:

That's still an 8 torp alpha that might delete enough so that afterwards t's not a competition anymore. And when in doubt, just play 2 Scurrg as a filler with deadeye and Harpoons...

I don’t know how much 200 pt. play you have done, but pre-nerf JMKs were not the threat you are making them out to be in the games I have played.

41 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

If I were house-ruling to run a 1.X game to incorporate a bunch of 2.0 mechanics without needing any new stuff, I'd:

3. Ban the following cards: VI, Adaptability, Push the Limit, TLT, Harpoon Missiles, Guidance Chips, Autothrusters, Sabine Wren (crew), Cad Bane (crew), Bomblet Generator, all Mines, Extra Munitions, Gunner, Luke Skywalker (crew), IG-88D (crew), "Genius", A-Wing Test Pilot, Engine Upgrade. Some cards may need to be faction limited (e.g. Trajectory Simulator: B/SF Only).

4. All missiles/torps keep their target lock or focus. All get an Extra Munitions token.

5. TIE Interceptors, A-wings, TIE Silencer, Fang Fighter all get a second red action from their action bar after performing a Focus Action (essentially built-in PTL, but must start from Focus).

6. Cannon and turret secondary weapons get range bonuses/penalties. Blaster turret does not spend Focus.

7. All turrets are mobile arcs (approximate from the arc hashes you have -- you can measure backward from the current arcs, use a token to indicate what arc you are in). Ships with a turret all get the Rotate Arc action.

9. Regen ships/droids get up to their ship's shield value in tokens (max: 3) placed on them to indicate the number of times they may regen, and get a weapons disabled token when they do regen.

11. Barrel rolls: place template in approximate center of base; not infinitely adjustable on starting side but adjustable on ending side.

13. HWK-290 is attack 2, turret; special: if you are not stressed, treat red maneuvers on your dial as white.

Nothing will be banned in any casual 1.x game i play, but i do like the implementation of the “maintenance phase,” though that may not be the right term. Essentially in a new phase that takes place right after planning but before activation, decisions like bomb placement and decloaking are made.

One idea I’m implementing is the adoption of “configurations”- s-foils should NOT be a modification on an X-wing. It’s what defines the ship as an X-wing. Nor should the T-65 have to forego torps in order to use s-foils with another modification. S-foils, pivot wings, and auto-include titles (TIE/x1, for example) are simply being rolled into the base model of ships. 

Speaking of torpedoes, and missiles, we’re incorporating charges in a form. No reload action (unless I add ships including it, later), but the first shot when you’re supposed to discard, instead exhaust. When instructed to discard an exhausted card, discard it. Hence, like the preview proton torps, ordnance gets two shots. Munitions failsafes will conceivably give even more, even though that’ll only kick in when you miss. (Those misses still may serve to strip some tokens, though, so even a miss can be useful...)

17 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

4 dice range one turret shots?  Y-wings, HWKs and TIE Aggressor Meta!!!  And all I need is a focus? Ok!

17 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

Oh.  

Wait... BTL title, unhinged Astro, BT, we are still in business!

oh and Dorsal Turret has the same 4 die range one, without the focus requirement.  So yeah, gimme that for three points.  On a Ezra Maul Ghost.  Maybe.  That Evade nerf really hurts the ghost...which is a good thing.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:42 AM, Hawkstrike said:

1. Fine, although not sure how viable given FO and Resistance have insufficient 1.x ships.  2nd edition X-Wing solves the issue by simply issuing more pilots in the conversion kits, and presumably all future releases for the sequel movies will be 2nd edition only.  But that doesn't help 1st edition much.  (Still, probably worth doing to limit the Poe + things-balanced-for-the-Rebels-but-not-with-Poe combos)

2. Sure

3. Engine Upgrade, VI, Adaptability, definitely yes.  PtL, I think you could errata to get your effect you are looking for in #5.  (Specifically: Push the Limit.  Title, requires boost and barrel roll on action bar.  You may equip an additional title.  After performing a focus or evade action, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll, then gain 1 stress token.  0 pts)  Most of the others...I don't actually think you can do.  A LOT of them are balancing other things that you're list isn't addressing, or can't practically address (I disagree that #7 is possible to approximate, and with 360 turrets in the game, Autothrusters are a given)  Kind of unsure on the mines/bombs thing, generally.

4. DEFINITELY on built-in extra munitions.  As to the 'keep the target lock or focus' - I don't hate it, but it does sort of weaken the cost of homing missiles, or other missile types that already specifically keep the target lock or focus.  What if you assumed built-in guidance chimps, instead?  Nominally, on a 4-dice attack, you'd expect 2 hits/crits, and 2 focus/blanks.  Assuming you use the TL you kept to reroll the focus/blanks to try for more hits crits, those 2 results should  yield one more hit/crit and another 'useless' result, for 3 hits/crits total.  Which is the same thing you'd normally expect on a spend-the-TL-to-shoot attack with 4 dice that you had guidance chimps to fix a result on.  So...in short, just having extra munitions and guidance chimps built into the ordnance shots feels like a better compromise - while still leaving the flavor of missiles that already intentionally keep the TL or focus.

5. See suggestion to PtL in #3 - I think that is the better idea to get this effect

6. Sure.

7. I don't dislike the idea, although as noted above, I DO disagree that it's practical/possible to do.  "Not worth the effort" is my thought, here.

8. Ehhhhhh...I know 2nd edition does that, but it also does a LOOOOT of other things to ships stats, dials, etc to make that possible.  Let's put a pin in this one, yeah?  Maybe it should be done, but maybe...it would be too much.  Try the rest of the ideas and see if it's needed?  For now, no on this one.

9. Yup.

10. Sort of back to the banned upgrades from #3 - I think it's too broad a list, and changes like this that are built into 2nd edition from the get-go are going to be harder to balance into 1st edition.  Another "not worth the effort" at present.

11. Same as #7 - not practical enough to do.

12. This is just an opinion from me, but...I think the designers are wrong on this decision.  "Walking a ship off the table" (IMHO) by piling stress and ion tokens on a target *should* be a valid tactic, as it is HARD to do.

13. Meh, I liked the 1-die attack as a flavor thing.  Yeah, it was useless and meant the ship NEEDED to equip a turret, so...give it a title with a discount on a turret upgrade and we're good.  For that matter, same thing on the quadjumper.  Literally every ship in the game having exactly '2' or '3' attack (which 2nd edition is doing) feels...boring.

Also, you are forgetting another that is easy to add...

14.  All ships, large and small base, are half-points for half-damage.

I will probably wait a while to pick up conversion kits and start 2.0 and see how that shakes out, before jumping in.

I am currently playing a two-player campaign with really low point builds, as the the campaign takes place before the Battle of Yavin, and is slowly building up. Anyway, I found a thread on the forums about replacing a ships slots with what essentially amounts to downgrades for ships. I find this very thematic for the Star Wars universe, rusty worn out ships that don't always work as designed, cobbled together systems, etc. So I have been working on a bunch of Downgrade cards to incorporate into the campaign. So that is my current homebrew project.