Sign in to follow this  
Uncle_Joe

Any other pre-made adventures for Genesys Fantasy?

One of the things I really like with the WHFRP system is that there were a handful of fully developed adventures available for the game system, even early on in the life cycle. I saw the Eliza Farrow adventure but I haven't seen anything else (either official of fan-made). Are there any others out from FFG or that people have shared somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Uncle_Joe said:

One of the things I really like with the WHFRP system is that there were a handful of fully developed adventures available for the game system, even early on in the life cycle.

that may be because previous WHFRP editions had these adventures already.

4 hours ago, Suneisha said:

There's one on Drivethru called croaking sirocco or something similar. I have never played it so no idea how good it is.

Wait what?

Googling... Link.

How are people selling Genesys adventures? Must dive further. Thanks for the heads up!

9 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

Wait what?

Googling... Link.

How are people selling Genesys adventures? Must dive further. Thanks for the heads up!

That…is highly illegal. Unless the author received specific permission from FFG (which I don't see happening at all).

1 minute ago, verdantsf said:

It's free.

Free or not, they are claiming compatibility with a product line without the consent of the copyright holder.  I am no lawyer (just a rules lawyer :p) but I'm sure it's just as bad as charging monies for it.

We'll have to leave it up to FFG to decide if that's allowed or not, but "I'm not making money off of it!" isn't a solid defence, especially if they're using Genesys terms and symbols.

2 hours ago, verdantsf said:

It's free.

2 hours ago, c__beck said:

Free or not, they are claiming compatibility with a product line without the consent of the copyright holder.  I am no lawyer (just a rules lawyer :p) but I'm sure it's just as bad as charging monies for it.

We'll have to leave it up to FFG to decide if that's allowed or not, but "I'm not making money off of it!" isn't a solid defence, especially if they're using Genesys terms and symbols.

I was a lawyer. IP was my jam.

This is not only a violation of FFG's rights ("illegal" isn't quite the right word), but also opens up DriveThru to liability too. I doubt this will remain on their site for another month.

14 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

I was a lawyer. IP was my jam.

This is not only a violation of FFG's rights ("illegal" isn't quite the right word), but also opens up DriveThru to liability too. I doubt this will remain on their site for another month.

Thanks for that. What is the right term, then? Like I said, I'm not a lawyer (an accountant and layout artist, yes), but would like to learn the correct verbiage.

Given what peeps have listed for free on the EoE forum in various dropboxes if it's free I doubt FFG cares.  That one listed on Drivethru was posted in February, so if FFG is into hawking that sort of thing I'd imagine they watch Drivethru and by now I'd expect they would've done something if they intended to.

10 hours ago, c__beck said:

You're providing fonts and Genesys symbols for the Word Template or style guide for Setting documents thread. In your own words, "this is a LaTeX package to typeset documents in the format of the Genesys RPG published by Fantasy Flight Games." I see Croaking Sirocco and the fanmade products you're helping with as a good thing for our community. I'd love to see more fanmade adventures shared, just like how Edge of the Empire has a massive compiled resource thread that includes tons of free adventures.

6 hours ago, verdantsf said:

You're providing fonts and Genesys symbols for the Word Template or style guide for Setting documents thread. In your own words, "this is a LaTeX package to typeset documents in the format of the Genesys RPG published by Fantasy Flight Games." I see Croaking Sirocco and the fanmade products you're helping with as a good thing for our community. I'd love to see more fanmade adventures shared, just like how Edge of the Empire has a massive compiled resource thread that includes tons of free adventures.

There’s a difference between, in my mind, between making something to share with the community and putting it up on a site designed to sell. When you search for Genesys on DTRPG you get three hits: the core book, Terrinoth and this adventure. I don’t mind more fan-made content—that’s why I did the LaTeX package, after all—but it just rubs me the wrong way seeing it up on DTRPG.

Host it on Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc and it’s fine. But putting it on DTRPG seems, to me, like the wrong move.

OK thanks folks. Didn't mean to spark a debate on copyright infringement. ;)

Thanks for the link to the DTRPG. I grabbed it and while I applaud the effort, it doesn't really stand up the adventures from the WHFRP 3rd Edition sets. I guess with Genesys being a toolbox with a large variety of settings it's going to take time for content about any one aspect (ie, Fantasy) to come out. Terrinoth was a good step in the right direction but it would have been fun to have a sample adventure added in at the end.

I'm looking into just using my WHFRP adventures and tweaking them to suit the updated system. The Old World doesn't exactly match my home brew setting but it's close enough that I can probably just insert them.

Thanks all!

I don't mind seeing it there tbh, they are not making any money on it and anything that showcases Genesys system (whilst not charging for it) would be a bonus for FFG I would think....

Certainly they would pull it down it if wasn't I'm sure.

I never expected a notable stream of adventures as FFG simply isn't known to do so, but I did think there'd be something. Specifically, I'm baffled that they didn't release a Beginner Game box (with a free follow-up PDF) at most six months after the Terrinoth sourcebook (and then the same for Android and so on). Do that and one epic campaign tome for each setting featured in the CRB and I'd be perfectly content, but the way things are now just feels half-assed.

I’m planning just to use the WFRP adventures once I get done with the WFRP Genesys conversion (60% done or so now, with a looot of formatting after that). Not a huge amount of work to do so except I haven’t yet decided on the best way to deal with progress trackers.

I also just found The Enemy Within 3E in a box in my garage (apparently I bought it?), so that’ll be a fun one to convert too.

Twincast - I agree 100%. I would have expected some additional content if for no other reason than to give people a starting point for how to run adventures.

Darrett - Please post your WHFRP conversion when you're done. I really enjoyed the system but it bloated out too much to continue to use frequently. A Genesys version would be fantastic!

drainsmith - I have the 5e Starter Box and I downloaded your conversion. Thanks for the work on it! Seems like it should be a good starter point.