Odanan

Solo - first reviews

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

All sounds promising to me!  (but then, so did the review for The Last Jedi).

Not sure Disney isn’t paying critics off. Opening weekend TLJ had ninety-something percent from critics on rotten tomatoes and 50ish from fans. Really? If it was the other way around, I might believe it...

1 minute ago, Ailowynn said:

Not sure Disney isn’t paying critics off. Opening weekend TLJ had ninety-something percent from critics on rotten tomatoes and 50ish from fans. Really? If it was the other way around, I might believe it...

That was my take from TLJ as well.  The reviews had me optimistic, but after watching the film I simply couldn't believe some of the rhetoric being spouted.  "best Star Wars film since Empire Strikes Back"?  It wasn't even the best Star Wars film of the last twelve months.

I'm not sure Disney are putting quite that much muscle behind Solo, though.  In fact, most of the pre-release coverage has been playing down expectations.  I'm hyped for Solo, though - the stand alone, anthology stuff in the Original Trilogy era is what interests me the most right now.

7 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

Just so people know tlj real rotten tomatoes score is 24% but they discounted any score under 1 when calculating the average.

So understand how hated that film was to get below 50% even with them fixing things in Disney's favour.

To be fair... Birdemic is a 1 star movie... TLJ isn't... It's just hyperbole. Doesn't help anyone. 

11 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

I still don't get why TLJ seems to draw more flak than attack of the Clones. Sure, it wasn't that great, but it wasn't the worst Star Wars.

More recent, not sure if more people saw, DEFINITELY more divisive political climate 

Guess we also weren't as tired of dumb goofy star wars during the release of the prequels

It's also the law of unintentionally funny versus just being unfunny 

Edited by ficklegreendice

28 minutes ago, Nyxen said:

I still don't get why TLJ seems to draw more flak than attack of the Clones. Sure, it wasn't that great, but it wasn't the worst Star Wars.

Eh, people like to gloss over the silly aspects of all the movies except R1, but they're there to varying degrees. Maybe it's that R1 was a tough act to follow, having finally given people the non-silly Star Wars movie they always wanted.

Embrace the silly side! Over-seriousness clearly leads to hatred, which leads to the Dark Side! ?

3 hours ago, Ailowynn said:

To be fair the RT “fan” reviews were mostly bots.

Just to make sure we're all clear - reviews are opinions. Different people can like different things. If you didn't like a movie, but a reviewer did, that means that you like different things. Not that the reviewer was paid off.

(A well-written review will explain why someone liked the movie in a way that will give you an idea if you will share that opinion or not. I find that most reviews aren't that well written).

For the record: I like TLJ better than Rogue One. I liked both, mind you, but for me, TLJ resonated more. But that's just my opinion.

Of course, I also liked ROTJ more than ESB. That comes from when I was a kid - more space battles in ROTJ, and when I saw it in the theaters as a kid, I was the target audience for the Ewoks, so I've never minded them. Plus, the Dagobah scenes in ESB were too slow and boring for me at that age. I've come to appreciate them more as an adult, but first impressions as a kid can be lasting :)

Nothing has ever had the impact that the original, first movie did on me, though. So Star Wars (now called "A New Hope") will always be my absolute favorite.