Sithborg

Conversion Kit Unboxing on 5/18

Yeah the stapling +2ps was one of the big problems.

Phantoms were such a glass cannon if they didnt fire first and immediately recloak they'd go poof. I always wished AdvCloak didnt exist and the phantom was made a bit beefier so cloak was a positional play, not a life-line.

54 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

And know you can put ACTUAL EPTS on her!

And (probably?) a Gunner upgrade. Unless those are strictly for ships with turrets or auxiliary arcs (as possibly evidenced by Veteran Tail Gunner / Veteran Turret Gunner & Luke Skywalker). That thought makes me wonder what sorts of effects Gunner upgrades might have when and if they have been designed for primary-arc only ships. 

54 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

I'd imagine they'd be roughly on par with xwings

Got their old statline of 2 agi, five health, 3 die primary 

So not terribly efficient, but the amount of tricky bull Stygium array lets you pull off precombat (since you can use evade to recloak without having to spend actions, leaving you free to roll around) and the fact that you don't need to attack is awesome

Honestly, I would love this.  Let tricky ships be statted such that they're on par with non-tricky ships, and the extra points come from the tricky stuff they do.

1 hour ago, Incard said:

And (probably?) a Gunner upgrade. Unless those are strictly for ships with turrets or auxiliary arcs (as possibly evidenced by Veteran Tail Gunner / Veteran Turret Gunner & Luke Skywalker). That thought makes me wonder what sorts of effects Gunner upgrades might have when and if they have been designed for primary-arc only ships. 

Well, if they wanted to transfer the Gunner upgrade from 1e, it would make perfect sense for it to be a gunner ugprade slot, and would be designed for primaries.  Or if they thought the double shot gunner effect at one ship was too good, bring over Baze as a gunner upgrade (or both)

27 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Problem with phantom is wookiepedia defines the other guy in the phantom as a gunner/copilot

...so, both? Hybrid upgrade slot?

Hmm... that would be interesting if they lose their crew in favor of a gunner...

4 hours ago, Sithborg said:

Noon central. 

That's what, 1 PM EST?  

Right after lunch.  I actually created a twitch account and downloaded the app to my phone JUST for this.  

They have to know that if they say they are doing an unboxing that we are expecting to see everything in the box.  We don't need an announcement for a live stream event if they've just going to show us how many sheets of cardboard and how many packs of cards are in it.

6 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

Man, this REALLY better be a full fledged, every detail kind of unboxing. If it’s not, we are in for some **** in these forums gentlemen. 

Yeah. In particular, I want to see front and back of every ship token.

We already know from the T-65 X-Wing expansion that Biggs and Garven share a ship token, meaning you'll need two copies of that token if you want to run both pilots in a list.

2 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

They have to know that if they say they are doing an unboxing that we are expecting to see everything in the box.  We don't need an announcement for a live stream event if they've just going to show us how many sheets of cardboard and how many packs of cards are in it.

I was just thinking how funny the nerd rage will be if they just slide everything out in stacks so you get to see the contents in the wrapper and they go, “see you in september” lol

21 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

I was just thinking how funny the nerd rage will be if they just slide everything out in stacks so you get to see the contents in the wrapper and they go, “see you in september” lol

Yah that's been my thought.  I can't imagine it'd be THAT bad, but everyone seems to be assuming that they're going to spoil EVERYTHING in all 3 conversion kits in the stream tomorrow.  I suspect a lot of people will be disappointed.  We might see all the cardboard (if they show both front and back of all the bases, we could see what pilots we're getting,a nd if they show dials we can probably figure out what ships they go to), but I don't really expect them to go through every single pilot card and upgrade in all 3 kits for us to get all of the abilities and everything.  If they do, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'd rather go in not expecting it and get a nice surprise if they do as opposed to expecting to get everything and being upset if they don't.

2 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

You'd think they would know better, but FFG also had a Hyperspace Report advertised to showcase all their Star Wars games and instead it only featured one game.

A new edition of one game.

So it's not at all unbelievable that this unboxing will actually only show the pilot cards and upgrades still in the plastic, and the cardboard sheets showing the templates.

3 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Problem with phantom is wookiepedia defines the other guy in the phantom as a gunner/copilot

...so, both? Hybrid upgrade slot?

The app could open up some interesting design space not previously available. What if it was it had one slot that could take either a crew or gunner but not both? Something like that isn't really doable in 1.0 but could be easily done in 2.0.

17 minutes ago, Darth 2Face said:

The app could open up some interesting design space not previously available. What if it was it had one slot that could take either a crew or gunner but not both? Something like that isn't really doable in 1.0 but could be easily done in 2.0.

Eh, they could have done that in 1.0 if they really wanted.  Just put a "/" between the two slots and a rules reference stating that the slash indicates "or".

Ya think all of us have been burned by FFGs vagueness at some point, so I don’t think we should be surprised if this does not turn out to be all we hope and dream it is. But, I mean, the nice thing is we are so hungry for ANYTHING from 2.0 that anything will be great. But it sure would put another feather in FFGs cap of poor customer communication if they did something like “oh I wonder what’s in that sheet? We are going to set that aside for you to see in September! Can’t spoil everything!”

Whats more likely than that though is they are going to have some rando intern do the unboxing who has no idea what components are important and what aren’t. “And here we have... the devestator! Very cool ship. Has... uh... 3 red and 12 yellow! Wow! That’s a lot of yellow points!” *moves on to next ship without reviewing pilot abilities*.

Another fear I have is time constraints are going to get in the way. Maybe the first couple ships they show you everything you could ever hope for, and then they realize they are taking too much time. Next thing you know, the last few ships are zoomed through, and they skip reviewing the upgrades altogether.

47 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

There is no possible way they have time to show everything. I’ll bet we’ll get 2-3 per faction and then talking about possibilities...yada yada. Pretty much all I expect.

Maybe, and FFG has never really been good at reading the room, but an "unboxing" should be a heck of a lot more detail than an article.  And, these unboxings are specifically for veteran players to the point where I'd think they'd want to get out as much information as possible as far in advance so that those players can make the decision to commit to 2.0 ASAP.  And, it could even be looked at as a last minute sales pitch for the remaining 1.0 stock in the form of "Here, look at all this cool stuff you get to play with right away if you own the ships that go with them!"

I don't expect the to go over every single thing (especially upgrades), but I hope they show pilots+cardboard, at least getting a split second of video time would enough for people to be able to take a good inventory of what is there. 

It's absolutely a unique case and in their best interests here to get as much packed in as they can, but I'll admit I won't be surprised if it ends up being an Armada announcement ;)

Edited by AlexW

If we're on a time crunch, then the biggest thing that needs answering is the distribution of pilot bases

Did they fenangle new generic pilot bases to give you enough to run all ships in the kit at the same time, while only providing one of each unique pilot base?

Or did they just stuff an expansion's worth of stuff per ship?

Which is probably a lot easier and ensures we don't get screwed trying to run two Red Squadron Vets alongside whatever named pilot is on the back of the Red Squadron Vet cardboard (Thane?) 

But it also pads the box 

...jk, ARC is more important

Edited by ficklegreendice

3 hours ago, Derpzilla88 said:

You'd think they would know better, but FFG also had a Hyperspace Report advertised to showcase all their Star Wars games and instead it only featured one game.

A new edition of one game.

Their press about the report never said a single thing about what would be discussed, other than new Star Wars releases. People sure did assume a heck of a lot, though, and that's entirely on them. Here's the only statement about what would be discussed in the official article about it:

"On May 1st at 12:00 P.M. Central Time, we’ll be holding the Star Wars Hyperspace Report at the Fantasy Flight Games Center—a very special presentation to give you a look ahead at some of our upcoming Star Wars products."

The event did exactly that. It discussed a new product and the expansions for it. There was discussion of future plans for the product line, some design commentary, and organized play info. If FFG had announced that it would be about X-Wing only, the cat would have been instantly out of the bag... and in addition to that, everyone who is (still? really?) whining about the event would (still) be crying that FFG didn't have an hour and a half about stuff for game X, Y, or Z.

Edited by Aaron Foss

I’m really looking forward to this unboxing. The entire X-wing community will rejoice, casual and competitor alike. There will be no complaints; there will be no second guessing. Their will be no facepalming and no rage. The X-wing forum community will be at peace.

That was difficult to type.