Sithborg

Conversion Kit Unboxing on 5/18

5 hours ago, GILLIES291 said:

Also it was heaviliy implied that the only crew carriers for the Empire are the Reaper, Lambda and Decimator, and that the latter both have two crew slots now. So assuming reaper only has one and Deci has lost a slot.

Reaper build in the Team Covenant preview video had both Krennic and Tactical Officer, so that'd be two crew (even if there's minor anti-synergy between them).  Until we get more information, it's not something that can be fully confirmed, but reaper looks like two crew.

2 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Lol

It has both a better statline and repositioning, don't be silly

Besides, it's still a two-seater. Means it's getting a gunner 

It most certainly does not have better repositioning. Statline maybe, I'll grant. At the end of the day, it is a faint shadow of what it was POST NERF right now, pre-nerf is a very faint and distant memory, and it needs to come down in points at least somewhat because of all these changes. 1 extra hull does not counterbalance the Atk reduction, general evade nerfing, loss of a crew slot, and Adv. Cloak nerfing.

Just now, theBitterFig said:

The YT-2400 keyword describes the range bonus as being 0-1.  Range 0-1 seems to be their common new term.

Which is good, how many things in 1.0 would range from better all the way to great if they would affect themselves? I wholeheartedly approve of this change.

Post nerf it died to anything that shot first and TLT

New design is VASTLY improved and entering a far friendlier environment (turret nerf, bomb SHARP nerf, tlt ded, mods sharply reduced)

ACD was **** design and I'm glad it's gone. Super, super buffed, and built-in Stygium array results in an infinetly better designed phantom that will reward skilled play rather than "derp I shoot after guess I die"

And lateral decloak independent of action is far better repositioning, esp now that you don't need to attack to maintain it 

Only impediment to the phantom is an ill suited player or unfair point cost  

Edited by ficklegreendice

One thing I would still like to know about the CKs is just how many of each upgrade cards we will be getting. Eg, how many copies of Crackshot will there be? Hopefully we'll get an answer at some point before the launch.

4 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Post nerd it died to anything that shot first and TLT

New design is VASTLY improved and entering a far friendlier environment (turret nerf, tlt ded, mods sharply reduced)

ACD was **** design and I'm glad it's gone. Super, super buffed, and built-in Stygium array results in an infinetly better designed phantom that will reward skilled play rather than "derp I shoot after guess I die"

And lateral decloak independent of action is far better repositioning, esp now that you don't need to attack to maintain it 

I'm fine with pretty much everything but the loss of the Atk value when the Ghost got to keep it's. Thank god that the titles and docking rules for that thing got balanced out at least. Still not looking forward to how 2.0 Biggs is going to be in an environment rife with reinforce, but at least nobody is going to dealing out 5 attack dice from the rear, or double TLT or Autoturret shots from the side.

I just feel reducing the attack here makes no sense, the Phantom is SUPPOSED to have a bajillion guns, that's exactly how it is meant to work. Of all the fixes the Phantom needed, I don't think the 4 Attack Dice was one of things that was a problem.

Forgot the SHARP bomb and Regen merfs (not gonna catch this, eh autocorrect?)

Anyway, the B has more guns than the phantom and the same primary. We'll be fine, provided our four dice friends are costed appropriately

Given built-in outrider and reinforce, I smell a sharp markup in price 

And if 3 dice phantom results in Xwing prices, it'll be more than worth it

Edited by ficklegreendice

37 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Forgot the SHARP bomb and Regen merfs (not gonna catch this, eh autocorrect?)

Anyway, the B has more guns than the phantom and the same primary. We'll be fine, provided our four dice friends are costed appropriately

Given built-in outrider and reinforce, I smell a sharp markup in price 

And if 3 dice phantom results in Xwing prices, it'll be more than worth it

That's the turret rotate action, not reinforce. Yt-2400 should be squishyer and you can actually dodge its arcs now. 

I cannot wait for 2.0. The game is finally moving in the right direction. Finally,  x-wings and y-wings can barrel roll. A-wings can boost or barrel roll. I've always felt they made the initial game to restrictive. So many lessons learned that are now improved in the game. Still think the forward arc is too genererous...but now every ship has a bullseye arc. I've always wanted to see this game be about out manoeuvring your opponent. So glad the stupid "roll a dice to see if you target lock or repair" is gone. Casual games are going to be way more fun now.

Wish the would make available the squadron builder now so we could start list building and playing some 2.0 games...instead of waiting until later this year.

Edited by HawkZ71

I'd be very, very surprised if we don't get an open beta of the app very, very soon, and a full rule book online.  It'll be spoiled no later than GenCon anyway, as people will be buying the game there.

The open beta is a crucial thing to do, because you can't just launch an app that has tens if not hundreds of thousands of users cold on release day, unless you want to naus it up good and proper.

11 hours ago, markcsoul said:

I'm assuming (and hoping) defenders get a big cost increase. Maybe 67 points for the cheapest ship so you can't run 3 of them.

I mean in 1.0 x7 defenders are still one of the best ships in the game. Now they get an extra hit point, better dial, and better action bar.

Defenders and E-Wings will still be able to run in 3s.

The clue is in the numbers in the conversion kits.

It is exactly half as many of each ship (rounded up) that can be squeezed into a list.

There's no way they make it so that you need to buy 2 of each kit to be able to cover everything, then be left with 4 lots of Defender stuff and only be able to field 2 of them.

1 hour ago, Mward1984 said:

I'm fine with pretty much everything but the loss of the Atk value when the Ghost got to keep it's. Thank god that the titles and docking rules for that thing got balanced out at least. Still not looking forward to how 2.0 Biggs is going to be in an environment rife with reinforce, but at least nobody is going to dealing out 5 attack dice from the rear, or double TLT or Autoturret shots from the side.

I just feel reducing the attack here makes no sense, the Phantom is SUPPOSED to have a bajillion guns, that's exactly how it is meant to work. Of all the fixes the Phantom needed, I don't think the 4 Attack Dice was one of things that was a problem.

To be fair, comparing the Phantom to the Ghost is like comparing a Spitfire to a Lancaster Bomber. There are significantly more guns and turrets on the Ghost

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Reaper build in the Team Covenant preview video had both Krennic and Tactical Officer, so that'd be two crew (even if there's minor anti-synergy between them).  Until we get more information, it's not something that can be fully confirmed, but reaper looks like two crew.

Oh could have just been the developers having a brain fart then, come on TIE Shuttle still be a thing!

2 hours ago, Stevey86 said:

Defenders and E-Wings will still be able to run in 3s.

The clue is in the numbers in the conversion kits.

It is exactly half as many of each ship (rounded up) that can be squeezed into a list.

It’s half of each ship (rounded up) that can be fit in a list, with a minimum of 2 copies. Unless you think you’re going to be able to run 3 outer rim smugglers, patrol leaders, wild space fringe TS, etc. 

i will be *shocked* if the defender costs less than 67 points with an extra shield, a buffed dial, and evade and boost added to their bar. And the generic we saw was i4. There’s probably still a lower initiative pilot, but even on a 1 I’d bet on not being able to fly 3. 

There's no way they make it so that you need to buy 2 of each kit to be able to cover everything, then be left with 4 lots of Defender stuff and only be able to field 2 of them.

They’re doing exactly that for expensive  large ships. And any shop you can run 5 of a list and get 3 you’ll have an extra copy after two kits as well. 

Edited by VanderLegion

1 hour ago, VanderLegion said:

Unless you think you’re going to be able to run 3 outer rim smugglers, patrol leaders, wild space fringe TS, etc. 

I **** well better still be able to run my triple 2400s!! :D

On 5/18/2018 at 5:01 PM, theBitterFig said:

You're literally trying to tell me that a *4 Attack Primary* ship might be more versatile (that is, do more odd stuff other than deal damage) than the older version, with the cheapness of a *2 Attack Primary*, and now with a red instead of white barrel roll.  That doesn't pass the sniff test.  AT ALL.  Does it make the YT-2400 a stronger, more powerful ship for winning tournament games?  Almost surely.  Is there going to be something lost in terms of a quirky little oddball that did strange stuff but wasn't winning all that much?  Almost surely.

pretty sure you can upgrade the barrel to white if you wanted and we still don't know what the title does. maybe it is the same as before but seems like it no longer needs that effect so we could get some new ability granted by the outrider. if it is the same then we will have new cannons to use with it if we want to use that ability, since hlc will no longer be the main cannon of choice for it now.

16 hours ago, Skandranon said:

pretty sure you can upgrade the barrel to white if you wanted and we still don't know what the title does. maybe it is the same as before but seems like it no longer needs that effect so we could get some new ability granted by the outrider. if it is the same then we will have new cannons to use with it if we want to use that ability, since hlc will no longer be the main cannon of choice for it now.

I think it's best if I try an analogy.  Outrider was almost unique in its transformative power as a title.  It took a ship from being a cheap, piddly little 2-dice pea-shooter, into potentially a 4-dice monster at an appropriately high cost.  Versions with and without the title might as well have been two entirely separate ships.  Now, in practice, non-Outrider YT-2400 were seldom flown, and even more rarely had success at large events.

But Outrider wasn't the only title like that: Punishing One was there with it.  Similarly high cost, and also a dramatic change from 2 to 3 dice on a turret.  A Jumpmaster with or without was a pretty dramatic difference.  There weren't too many differences in top-table Punishing Ones, but Jumpmasters without PO could be quite varied.  There were Bumpmasters.  There were torpedo Scouts.  There were support Manaroo builds.

Suppose then, in 2E, the Jumpmaster was made into a native 3-red ship, essentially the same offensive profile of the 2E YT-1300 or VT-49 Decimator.  A rotatable double-arc for 3 dice.  Naturally, one would assume that the cost of Jumpmasters would essentially include the baked-in cost of a Punishing One, and some ship archetypes would disappear.  The old Parattanni list used a 28 point Manaroo with literally no upgrades beyond Attanni Mindlink.  There's no way, if the cost of something like Punishing One was baked it, that a similar sort of hyper-efficient support ship would exist in such a 2E thought experiment.  There's no way a Bumpmaster would be a cost-efficient ship in such a world.  Just look at 1E, where titled Jumpmasters are NEVER used as dedicated blockers or support ships.  Non-Punishing One Jumpmasters can be reasonably kitted out at around a third of a list.  Punishing Ones?  About half a list.  There's a distinct difference between the character of a list with, say, two aces and a support Jumpmaster, and (at the risk of muddying the metaphor) a single ace and a Rear Admiral Chiraneau with Kylo and Emperor.  It's still a quite support-y ship, but the list of a radically different character.  Not better.  Not worse.  Different.

So let's bring this back to the YT-2400.  The essential effect of the Outrider title (a 2-dice ship goes up to a 4-dice one) is now a part of the core of the ship in 2E.  That probably makes for neat builds when you want a ship at half your list.  Outrider title might do something interesting and new.  But it'll be interesting and new *ONLY* in the "this ship is half my list and does a lot of damage" side.  The capacity for a bump-YT-2400, or a support one is essentially dead.  There's no way that a 4-dice mobile arc ship is going to be cheap enough to be a strange little support ship.  Even with Expert Handling making the barrel roll white, even with new titles.  It's not going to be the least-damaging part of a list with two aces.  C'mon.

For better or worse, 2E is eliminating the (niche and never successful) role for a YT-2400 as a low-cost, low-damage, highly nimble large base.  How is that not clear?  Low-damage is gone, and obviously low-cost will go with it, or else any semblance of balance is just completely out the window.  It's probably for the best (the low cost of the no-title Jumpmaster was kind of a massive problem in X-Wing 1E, despite no-title YT-2400s never really making much happen), and surely YT-2400s designed to do damage will be fine.

But there's a twinge of regret for an oddball archetype which was always kinda cool, even if it was never that good.  But what really irks me is the "we don't know that, because points haven't been released."  That's just so obviously wrong.  Yes I ******* do know.  You need the points to know that a 4-dice primary is going to cost more than a 2-dice one?  Ok.

Edited by theBitterFig
IT'S