Andreu

New E-wing sculpt for 2.0 petition

27 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Looks like that other Viper.  You know the one.

Now that you mention it.... but really little, which is not bad IMO cause I actually think the Vipers from BSG had a cool design unlike the cylon things.

16 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

That cannon above the cockpit is ******* stupid. 

Why?  It allows for a third cannon that is visually similar to the others, and gives the ship a centerline weapon that would almost always be aimed at what the ship is pointed at.  Seems like a great idea to me. 

Just now, Alpha17 said:

Why?  It allows for a third cannon that is visually similar to the others, and gives the ship a centerline weapon that would almost always be aimed at what the ship is pointed at.  Seems like a great idea to me. 

The problem is, unless it can be raised out of the way, it makes it difficult to open the canopy far enough to get in comfortably. It also makes for problems when ejecting.

7 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

I know I’d want a mechanically unsound cannon blinding and deafening me every time I pulled the trigger. 

Comfort was not really a design goal for the E-Wing and it was over-engineered anyway and for the ejecting. You blast the canopy away in that case anyway. No Problem there. Having a center-line cannon is worth the extra trouble. Now why the canon is not under the nose is the better question. ?

Edited by SEApocalypse

9 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

The problem is, unless it can be raised out of the way, it makes it difficult to open the canopy far enough to get in comfortably. It also makes for problems when ejecting.

It can.

latest?cb=20150730042132

When ejecting, I'd assume it has explosive bolts built in that allow for it to be cleared out of the way, just as a cockpit hatch would. 

5 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

I know I’d want a mechanically unsound cannon blinding and deafening me every time I pulled the trigger. 

Why would it?  We already have flash-reducing powder and muzzle devices in our weapons these days.  This is a civilization that has mastered the science necessary to travel across the galaxy.  Why couldn't they have a variety of methods for dealing with this?  Reduced flash/blast muzzle device?  Having a window that automatically tints, for just a second, wouldn't be that hard either.  And there's no sound in space remember?  Even if there was, we've never had any indication that blasters are especially loud. 

Edited by Alpha17

Just now, Alpha17 said:

It can.

latest?cb=20150730042132

When ejecting, I'd assume it has explosive bolts built in that allow for it to be cleared out of the way, just as a cockpit hatch would. 

Why would it?  We already have flash-reducing powder and muzzle devices in our weapons these days.  This is a civilization that has mastered the science necessary to travel across the galaxy.  Why couldn't they have a variety of methods for dealing with this?  Reduced flash/blast muzzle device?  Having a window that automatically tints, for just a second, wouldn't be that hard either.  And there's no sound in space remember?  Even if there was, we've never had any indication that blasters are especially loud. 

It shoots a bright glowing bolt of energy. It’s going to blind the pilot. 

Also, space is not a vacuum in Star Wars, sound travels fine.

the break design on it is beyond stupid. That adds needless complexity and failure points to two critical systems, the weapons and the cockpit. 

The ewing is trash, ugly stupid trash. 

4 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

It shoots a bright glowing bolt of energy. It’s going to blind the pilot. 

Also, space is not a vacuum in Star Wars, sound travels fine.

the break design on it is beyond stupid. That adds needless complexity and failure points to two critical systems, the weapons and the cockpit. 

The ewing is trash, ugly stupid trash. 

1. No, again, it woulnd't necessarily have to for the reasons I said above.  Also, if laser cannons had these problems, wouldn't every TIE Fighter design have that issue?  Their cannons are even closer to the cockpit, and it's a pair of them.  I don't remember Darth Vader being blinded by his cannons in ANH.

2. Has that ever been stated?  Or is it just a movie, and as such the audience is given sound because otherwise space battles would be boring?

3. Yeah, it's an E-Wing.  As @SEApocalypse said, the E-Wing is ridiculously over-engineered.  It's amazing fighter when it works, but incredibly complex and expensive.

d7d

I personally love how the E-Wing looks, and hope to get to fly it more often in 2.0.

Edited by Alpha17

Never been a fan of the standard E-Wing design personally. That third cannon seems a bit try hard to me! Some of the sleeker concepts have been rather nice though.

I remember reading that it was great, but was temperamental and required newer Astromechs to function. Like the designers got a ahead of themselves. That lead to the X-Wing being constantly updated instead (Stealth-X etc).

But, it would be nice if it was a legitimate options to X-Wings. If Defenders are viable E-Wings should be.

Edited by SDCC