Sign in to follow this  
Blutsteigen

Word of Warning about the pre-painted "Wars among the stars" terrain

Mods please remove this if not allowed.

This particular company mentioned in the title was the worst customer service experience I've ever had with a game company. Read along if relevant to you:

I purchased the "frozen ponds -- Winter" box in early 2017 and was surprised to see the defect when I pulled it out.  What was supposed to be frozen water looked like white typing paper quickly glued onto cardboard.  If  you check the box cover, there is a sheen and subtle blue / ice feel which makes the color different from the snow nearby on the basing. One was also more than slightly warped.

I wrote them thinking it was an easy replacement.  I have a lot of Battlefield in a Box sets and I enjoy them immensely.

They wrote back after several weeks and asked for pictures. I sent some. They wrote back again after delay and said, "it looks just like the box art and your pictures aren't very clear."
I explained how it did not look similar, specifically. Then I offered to send better pictures if necessary to resolve the matter.
No response...for weeks. Multiple emails sent.
Then I sent a conversation shot from my Facebook where people on the Flames of War forum, with a good reputation, said, "yeah those look pretty bad. They'll help you out"
I said if out of stock we I was open to credit if that issue was behind the delay. I asked to please contact me.

They responded they they discussed it and there would be not replacement product sent. Final word.

There was $35 I would never see again.  Yet I was at Adepticon 2017 a bit later, and there was the booth in the dealer hall. I figured what the heck, let's chat as real people, and asked the kid behind the product for his manager or team lead.  He replied that he was not available.
I briefly explained my situation, left my number, and asked him to give  a quick text upon return.
Walking away I glance back, and he tosses my number without care under the desk and commences appearing as bored as possible.
I heard from no one.

if you purchase this new terrain from a competing company, I hope you get a good batch.  Buyer absolutely beware...

Are you talking about GF9 stuff? I have lots of it including I suspect those exact same set of frozen ponds. Great stuff.

Anyway, hard to know what you think you're concerned about without some pics....

1 hour ago, Alpha17 said:

I don't suppose you'd share your pictures here? 

I'll dig it out and photo as soon as possible.  Asked my commission guy to fix it into something table worthy and it would cost more than I paid.

Pics are only fair. I'll find them and do so .

and yes, this is GF9 Battlefield in a box I'm referring to tgall.   When in standard condition the releases are excellent. I especially love my 15mm scale church for WW II games.

Isn't GF9 owned by Battlefront? I would suggest you have a look NZ laws that cover consumer protection, as I guess they are a lot closer to ours in Australia. If the picture on the box and the item in the box are substantially different you should be able to get a replacement. Start here: https://www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/

BTW, the GF9 Contact for consumer problems is an email in NZ, so maybe you can resurrect your photo and correspondence.

15 hours ago, Amanal said:

Isn't GF9 owned by Battlefront? I would suggest you have a look NZ laws that cover consumer protection, as I guess they are a lot closer to ours in Australia. If the picture on the box and the item in the box are substantially different you should be able to get a replacement. Start here: https://www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/

BTW, the GF9 Contact for consumer problems is an email in NZ, so maybe you can resurrect your photo and correspondence.

OP’s profile says he’s in California. The United States LOL’s at consumer protection, unfortunately.

Depends on where the sale was made, if he purchased from GF9 direct then they are in NZ, doesn't matter where he is. 

If he bought the terrain from his LGS (I'll skip the "F" in this case, though we could just take that as something less than friendly) then yes, he has to deal with them in this case and will be covered or not by whatever protection that consumers get in that region of the world.

It is also worth noting that even though many stores will require the receipt they will also accept the Credit Card Statement showing the purchase. As such there is often some latitude given.

gf9.jpg

I know a guy that works at GF9, I can ask him about this. He's a bit of a tool but the next time I see him out i will threaten to push his wheelchair into the street until he tells me what he knows or promises to help out. Trust me, oncoming traffic is a pretty good motivator with this guy.

Edited by MonkeyInSpace

8 hours ago, MonkeyInSpace said:

I know a guy that works at GF9, I can ask him about this. He's a bit of a tool but the next time I see him out i will threaten to push his wheelchair into the street until he tells me what he knows or promises to help out. Trust me, oncoming traffic is a pretty good motivator with this guy.

That escalated quickly.

On 5/11/2018 at 8:02 AM, KalEl814 said:

That escalated quickly.

Seriously, the moderators are very mellow around here. Good way for someone to get warned or a thread locked. Regardless, I'm done putting time into this and have let it go. I posted for others to be cautious at least,  to avoid my experience.  Good luck and happy gaming everyone.