Sign in to follow this  
matt.sucharski

Maximum Barrel Roll Distance: New vs Old: A Visual Aid

that is a bad visual aid, at least illustrate that the barrel roll on the old is not static in the middle. (this helps emphasis part of the change)

You have the right outcomes its just a very confusing way to show it.

EDIT: @Incard fixed the diagram so ignore what i have said above, its now a nice visual aid.
(left my previous stuff there for historians)

Edited by Icelom

Just now, piznit said:

Not to mention that's not the max from old edition.  You could slide the template up to the edge

His diagram accounts for this.  If you slide the template all the way up or back, you'll see that the base lines up.

Is my math correct that with the new rules a small base ship loses a full ship base worth of positioning and a large base loses half a large base worth of positioning?  Creating a relative effect of small bases being 50% less fast/slow and large bases being 25% less fast/slow?

Edited by viedit

1 minute ago, viedit said:

Is my math correct that with the new rules a small base ship loses a full ship base worth of positioning and a large base loses half a large base worth of positioning?

That's a bit off. The small base loses 1/4 from the front and back each, for a total loss of 1/2. 

The large base loses 1/2 of a small base from the front and 1/2 of a small base from the back for a total loss of 1 small base.

Just now, SwordOwaR said:

I don't see how you can have your ship end in that position within V1, as your template can't go past the rear or front of the ship base.

There was a 1 speed template there confusing you. Refresh the page and look again. The ships are in the same places, but now the template makes it more clear what's happening.

1 minute ago, Incard said:

That's a bit off. The small base loses 1/4 from the front and back each, for a total loss of 1/2. 

The large base loses 1/2 of a small base from the front and 1/2 of a small base from the back for a total loss of 1 small base.

Though in the sake of full disclosure, your second sentence could also be worded:

The large base loses 1/4 of a large base from the front and a 1/4 of a large base from the back for a total loss of 1/2 large base.

Just now, Incard said:

In other words they lose proportionately the same amount since large base is twice the length of a small base.

I think it's easiest to just think that before you could shift forward/back by a maximum of 1/2 a base (of whatever size) and now it's 1/4. Additionally you can't mess with the exact millimeters within that range of course.

The diagram with the u-wing is showing a large base move, but u-wings are medium base ships in 2nd and you’re not showing the center hash marks on the base, which is what the position is being determined off of. Very important for mediums because the template sticks out past the base in the final position on mediums. 

For the 5th time now. 

I think the issues is the labels. The labels need to indicate that the new barrel rolls are going to the left and the old are going to the right. When I first looked at the image I wondered why the small base was barrel rolling and becoming a large base ship. 

So if medium base uses small base style broll then they get lateral displacement between large and small, but they get....I dunno, the same positional forward/back displacement as a large base?

7 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

How does the medium barrel roll work? Do we know that yet?

They use the same template positioning as a large-based ship. However, due the the proportions involved, the base adjustments are actually on par with a small-based ship.

In a hypothetical situation where a medium-based ship does a barrel roll to its forward right, it will move 1/4 of a small base forward, and will travel a lateral distance equal to two small bases.