Squark

A cliched title- A new X-wing 2.0 Article.

4 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

There actually 2 ways to use the (current) Kimogila arc:

- Have a high PS kimogila (even then, it's not as easy as it sounds to set up long range shots against small base ships)

- Have a lot of bullseye arcs

If you ever fly 3 or 4 kimogilas, suddenly dodging all those arcs can become a real nightmare for the opponent.

3rd way,

- hope your opponent is running large based ships.

21 minutes ago, Skitchx said:

Curious too why the TIE Advanced has blue 1 banks but 1 straight is white. Surely going straight is easier than banking...

In my opinion, if a bank is blue then the corresponding speed straight should also be blue.

The simple act of doing nothing but allowing your craft to continue forward must be a lot more stressful than turning the flight controls slightly.  Maybe that IS the case though because in Episode 4 you see Vader constantly moving his flight controls around while continuing to go straight.  Maybe there is a lot of play in those controls.

its alignment needs adjusting.

I like this article. I know it's nothing new but it's a different, condensed, perspective on some core stuff.

2.0 does actually seem to be going really hard on making that dial choice the key factor. The bullseye arc is like the gold star for perfect alignment *ding! High score!*

I never understood how a ship could barrel roll backwards. I accepted it, but it seemed to defy any physics I was familiar with. The new BR is easier to swallow.

Not only that, I think it will help players guesstimate if a BR will fit before making the attempt, failing and burning their action.

It's more fair all around despite our belly-aching. My TIEs won't feel as nimble, but then again, they'll be able to get more shots on target too.

New BR mechanic doesnt really impact it much.
How often has that 1/4 base forward actually helped? Or backward? You are moving 1/8 less than before, thats nothing. Course they havent said jack about large/medium far as i know....

The only time that specific forward roll has been relevant to me is dead now, Deathrain bombing forward, rolling forward, 4k = JUST clearing the R1 deadzone of the bomblett i dropped. But since bombs are completely different, not a factor now.

18 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

I never understood how a ship could barrel roll backwards. I accepted it, but it seemed to defy any physics I was familiar with. The new BR is easier to swallow.

Not only that, I think it will help players guesstimate if a BR will fit before making the attempt, failing and burning their action.

It's more fair all around despite our belly-aching. My TIEs won't feel as nimble, but then again, they'll be able to get more shots on target too.

How does a ship move to one location, stop, then move laterally, then just continue on?  It doesn't, it's an abstraction of what is happening.  Think of it as the ship performing the roll during its maneuver and ending up at that location, rather than two discrete moves.

2 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Clearly nobody here has played StarFox

(Also yes the infamous SF "do a barrel" roll is not a literal barrel roll, but welcome to pop cultural osmosis, memeplex and linguistic drift.)

Do not speak of the spinning (it’s a good trick).  Or the one called Slippy.  

STARWINGS, not Arwings.

12 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

In 1.0, if you couldn't do a barrel roll, it was easy to forget exactly where your starting position was. In 2.0, your starting position is permanently marked by the template.

The value of the Bullseye arc is going to come from pilot abilities and upgrades. It gives them more design space to play with, at zero cost. 

Still not that big of a fan on the bullseye arc because there is no type of declination off set without bumping since all maneuvers are locked in increments of 45 degrees. This means that there will be bullseye blind spots in the firing arcs of the ships.

That being said I can see an attack vector for all ships trying to be around 60 degrees from their front. Makes it so they can't get a bullseye if they straight or banks, also for those with turret secondaries it gives you the option of barrel-rolling to where the quadrant they didn't set.

13 hours ago, markcsoul said:

I'll admit I've only played a handful of games with the kimogila, but I found it pretty difficult to get many shots with the bullseye arc, especially if you're not moving last.

With so many abilities tied to the bullseye in 2.0, I'm worried that aces will rule once again even though they won't be as tanky. They can move last, reposition if necessary to utilize bullseye, then shoot first with all the bullseye benefits including upgrades and/or pilot abilities.

But maybe it's not as bad as I fear.

It's a lot easier to line up a bullseye arc on a large based ship, I find.

And ace abilities and elite upgrades being tied to the bullseye arc is no bad thing from the perspective of generics.

• Yes, they won't move last, so lining up a bullseye on an ace is hard, verging on impossible, one-on-one.
  • But, the generic's bullseye arc won't actually do anything, so failing to line it up is no big deal, whilst the ace simply getting a 'corner on' shot is no longer good enough to give you a modified shot that matters.
  • As a result, the ace has a much more involved choice to make:
    • Do I line up my position (with new, more restricted barrel rolls!) to avoid either me or my opponent getting a shot
    • Do I line up and get a shot in arc but not bullseye arc - which now means whilst I shoot I don't get predator, or marksmanship, or whatever and have either given up my focus token to barrel roll or am stressed from a chained focus-barrel roll action.
    • Do I accept a head-on exchange of shots where I get bullseye and you get an in-arc shot - which, whilst you generally win one-on-one thanks to pilot abilities, elite upgrades and shooting first, is a bad call with one or two aces against a 'pack' of generics.

13 hours ago, xanderf said:

Although, at least for the Firespray, we can see that it's a red action.  So, yes, on the action bar - but you get stressed if you do it.

Also confirmed that adding boost to ships that don't have it is not a thing, anymore.  ('Engine upgrade' exists as a card still, if you want to pay for it and use your mod slot if you have one, but all it does now is turn a red boost action to white - which rather makes me think that the Falcon's natural boost action is probably also red).

This last is not quite accurate - Afterburners exist (boost even whilst stressed after a speed 3+ move, 2 uses only) but they're probably small ship only.

55 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

This last is not quite accurate - Afterburners exist (boost even whilst stressed after a speed 3+ move, 2 uses only) but they're probably small ship only.

It's possible you need to have the Boost Action to even be able to equip it. (I sort of hope not, since I really want to stick it on Talonbane :P)

16 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

At the end of the movement you are NOT lining up the edge of the base with the template but the center hash mark.

Aaah, I had missed that too!  Had to look very carefully at it to see how that works.

Does anyone have a picture showing the effects of that on a medium and large base?  Like

swz01_a4_barrel-roll_diagram.jpg

but for the other sizes.

15 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

I like this article. I know it's nothing new but it's a different, condensed, perspective on some core stuff.

2.0 does actually seem to be going really hard on making that dial choice the key factor. The bullseye arc is like the gold star for perfect alignment *ding! High score!*

It is, but only if you've taken an EPT to make it useful.  That's the part I'm not sold on.  I love the idea of making your flying more important, so I love the idea of the bullseye, but from the looks of the upgrades it seems it's going to be extremely situational, since the odds of getting someone in it based purely on your dial, no repositioning, are surely pretty slim even for a good player.  There's no point repositioning to make use of the BE as that action might as well have been a focus or TL, so you might as well have spent that EPT slot on something else, unless you're confident on getting plenty BE shots without repositioning.  Maybe that's the point - they don't want to make repositioning too valuable, which a built in BE effect might have done, they want it to be about the dials as you say, which is great, but it just seems to make these BE based EPTs a bit rubbish.  Unless I'm missing something.

I'm only thinking about targeting small ships here - against big ships I imagine it's pretty easy.  Which makes these EPTs into a "take this to hit big ships harder" mode, not sure I like that.

Still, I'm pretty optimistic that it'll work out quite good when we actually get to try it :)

14 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

I accepted it, but it seemed to defy any physics I was familiar with.

Physics?  In Star Wars?

11 hours ago, mazz0 said:

I'm only thinking about targeting small ships here - against big ships I imagine it's pretty easy.  Which makes these EPTs into a "take this to hit big ships harder" mode, not sure I like that.

Large ships can die in a fire. I think it is fair, since their fire arc and their range is much bigger, plus they are faster. 

Large ships have relatively few drawbacks, and now that everyone gives half points (Soontir cries), they really could use some penalties. 

It's been said before, but there seems to be a lot of misreading on the point, so I'll make the point more explicit:

One aspect to the new BR rules is that they are now reversible - in the old system it was possible to start a barrel roll from a point less than all the way forward/back and not dead center (Because you were trying to dodge an obstacle, say), then discover the barrel roll was not actually possible at all, at which point you're supposed to return to your original position and choose a new action, but this was now best-effort guesswork. Especially under such circumstances your next maneuver could be just as tight as the attempted barrel roll was, being off by a couple millimeters could make a huge difference.

In 2.0, this is no longer an issue - the template will always be able to indicate where you started from. That alone is a positive change, even if it's at cost to the barrel roll's versatility.

Edited by Reiver