Squark

A cliched title- A new X-wing 2.0 Article.

1 minute ago, DagobahDave said:

As I recall, mediums and larges barrel roll the same way, and I'd guess that they work just like the small base BRs, but with the template rotated "portrait" rather than "landscape". If so, it's a significant reduction in large ship BR movement (which seems fine to me).

Everyone says it's a big reduction in the way large bases BR, but I'm not sure I agree.  Take some graphing paper and map it out.  It's not as much as a nerf as I expected.  Maybe in "absolute" measurements it's a bigger change than small bases, but in relative change the small base appears to take a much bigger hit in movement range.  It's almost a full small base worth of range it loses.  The large base loses half it's base in range but that split halfway between the top end of it's movement and bottom end.

1 minute ago, papy72 said:

Because you have to align the template in the center before you roll?  That really isn't much of a difference.

The new BR is going to require you to fly better. You can't declare a BR and then carefully shift your ship along the template into just the right spot where you have arc-dodged them but they're still just barely within your own arc. You'll need to be able to anticipate whether the declared action will actually work or not, and live with it if the action fails.

Plus, it lets them mitigate its effects on forward movement. It was pretty easy for a ship to do a hard turn and BR backwards to end up in almost the exact spot that they'd started, or to combine the boost and barrel roll action to pull off ridiculous forward movement. Those things are limited now.

2 minutes ago, viedit said:

Everyone says it's a big reduction in the way large bases BR, but I'm not sure I agree.  Take some graphing paper and map it out.  It's not as much as a nerf as I expected.  Maybe in "absolute" measurements it's a bigger change than small bases, but in relative change the small base appears to take a much bigger hit in movement range.  It's almost a full small base worth of range it loses.  The large base loses half it's base in range but that split halfway between the top end of it's movement and bottom end.

I agree that it seems like a bigger nerf to small ship BRs.

I would say the initial nerf to large BRs was a big change. This one is just "significant". :)

Have we seen much about boosts? It seems like they probably work the same, but the boost action itself appears to be rarer, and maybe even nonexistent for mediums and larges.

2 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

Plus, it lets them mitigate its effects on forward movement. It was pretty easy for a ship to do a hard turn and BR backwards to end up in almost the exact spot that they'd started, or to combine the boost and barrel roll action to pull off ridiculous forward movement. Those things are limited now.

There may be an answer to this already, but I wonder if BRs will need to be fully declared before the template goes down, like "right forward" or "left backward".

13 minutes ago, DagobahDave said:

I agree that it seems like a bigger nerf to small ship BRs.

I would say the initial nerf to large BRs was a big change. This one is just "significant". :)

Have we seen much about boosts? It seems like they probably work the same, but the boost action itself appears to be rarer, and maybe even nonexistent for mediums and larges.

Streams have already confirmed that both the medium Firespray and big base Falcon have boosts on their action bars. 

10 minutes ago, DagobahDave said:

There may be an answer to this already, but I wonder if BRs will need to be fully declared before the template goes down, like "right forward" or "left backward".

I believe you state that you are doing a barrel roll, then the side (port or starboard).   If you can’t place your base in any of the three positions you have just lost your action

Since I already knew everything in the article from videos and such, let me be blunt with this Back to the future 2 quote:

Doc: "This stays here. I didn't invent the time machine to win at gambling. I invented the time machine to travel through time!... and read up on the next X-Wing wave!"

(You know it's the real reason he invented time travel)

Edited by dotswarlock

24 minutes ago, DagobahDave said:

Just left or right. You can then pick any 3 spots after its down (from stream games).

Now if none of the 3 spots are legal you loose your action.

I'll admit I've only played a handful of games with the kimogila, but I found it pretty difficult to get many shots with the bullseye arc, especially if you're not moving last.

With so many abilities tied to the bullseye in 2.0, I'm worried that aces will rule once again even though they won't be as tanky. They can move last, reposition if necessary to utilize bullseye, then shoot first with all the bullseye benefits including upgrades and/or pilot abilities.

But maybe it's not as bad as I fear.

1 hour ago, Squark said:

1 hour ago, FrightfulCommand said:

they thought half a base of movement was too much but a quarter is enough?  Yuck. At this point, why not just make it straight across only. I don't see why barrel roll had to be changed. 

Also, no inherent value from bullseye? I don't like this. 

Ok, again. The change in Barrel Rolls is slightly different than people seem to be thinking. 

At the end of the movement you are NOT lining up the edge of the base with the template but the center hash mark. This makes no difference for the small or large base ships, but means the medium bases are moving slightly further forward (or backward) than they otherwise would have. 

The upshot is that medium bases will move as far forward as large bases. 

55 minutes ago, NervousSam said:

Streams have already confirmed that both the medium Firespray and big base Falcon have boosts on their action bars. 

Although, at least for the Firespray, we can see that it's a red action.  So, yes, on the action bar - but you get stressed if you do it.

Also confirmed that adding boost to ships that don't have it is not a thing, anymore.  ('Engine upgrade' exists as a card still, if you want to pay for it and use your mod slot if you have one, but all it does now is turn a red boost action to white - which rather makes me think that the Falcon's natural boost action is probably also red).

1 hour ago, Otacon said:

I certainly am. No more potential fudging of it and it's way easier to rewind if it wasn't doable given the template has to start in one place.

That said, nothing really new in this one, just pulling together a lot of information from various streams and panels from the last week. What the **** is the ship in the Marksmenship art though?

There is no more rewind if you can't complete a barrel roll.  You declare that your action is barrel roll.  I you can't complete the barrel roll, you lose the action.  You don't get to chose another action.

Edit: Sorry, I just figured out that you meant that it makes it easier to put your ship back in it's original location.  I tend to over think things.

Edited by XiliX

4 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Although, at least for the Firespray, we can see that it's a red action.  So, yes, on the action bar - but you get stressed if you do it.

Also confirmed that adding boost to ships that don't have it is not a thing, anymore.  ('Engine upgrade' exists as a card still, if you want to pay for it and use your mod slot if you have one, but all it does now is turn a red boost action to white - which rather makes me think that the Falcon's natural boost action is probably also red).

Pretty sure the Falcon's boost is confirmed red, yeah.

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

So much preamble

So little substance :(

True.

Curious too why the TIE Advanced has blue 1 banks but 1 straight is white. Surely going straight is easier than banking...

In my opinion, if a bank is blue then the corresponding speed straight should also be blue.

The simple act of doing nothing but allowing your craft to continue forward must be a lot more stressful than turning the flight controls slightly.  Maybe that IS the case though because in Episode 4 you see Vader constantly moving his flight controls around while continuing to go straight.  Maybe there is a lot of play in those controls.

1 minute ago, Skitchx said:

True.

Curious too why the TIE Advanced has blue 1 banks but 1 straight is white. Surely going straight is easier than banking...

In my opinion, if a bank is blue then the corresponding speed straight should also be blue.

The simple act of doing nothing but allowing your craft to continue forward must be a lot more stressful than turning the flight controls slightly.  Maybe that IS the case though because in Episode 4 you see Vader constantly moving his flight controls around while continuing to go straight.  Maybe there is a lot of play in those controls.

It’s just too fast.  The ship didn’t even a 1 straight in 1.0, and recent improvements in the design have allowed a lower throttle speed, but it is slightly stressful on the engine and pilot.

Just now, GrimmyV said:

It’s just too fast.  The ship didn’t even a 1 straight in 1.0, and recent improvements in the design have allowed a lower throttle speed, but it is slightly stressful on the engine and pilot.

So... its like downshifting... "I sure hope my car's/TIE's engine doesn't blow up from this" *shifts down as a bead of sweat appears on Vader's brow and his engine starts making an unnaturally high-pitched VVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

8 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

This is true but then the 1 banks being blue makes no sense still, they should become white if we are looking at thematic purposes

Edited by Andreu

23 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Firespray boost is white.  It's the reinforce that is red.  It is a red action on the Falcon.

35 minutes ago, markcsoul said:

I'll admit I've only played a handful of games with the kimogila, but I found it pretty difficult to get many shots with the bullseye arc, especially if you're not moving last.

With so many abilities tied to the bullseye in 2.0, I'm worried that aces will rule once again even though they won't be as tanky. They can move last, reposition if necessary to utilize bullseye, then shoot first with all the bullseye benefits including upgrades and/or pilot abilities.

There actually 2 ways to use the (current) Kimogila arc:

- Have a high PS kimogila (even then, it's not as easy as it sounds to set up long range shots against small base ships)

- Have a lot of bullseye arcs

If you ever fly 3 or 4 kimogilas, suddenly dodging all those arcs can become a real nightmare for the opponent.

4 minutes ago, Andreu said:

This is true but then the 1 banks being blue makes no sense still, they should have stayed white if we are looking at thematic purposes

But the one banks have always been green on the Advanced 

39 minutes ago, markcsoul said:

The only bulls eye benefits comes from upgrades and/or pilots there is not blanket bonus for being in bulls eye.

So an ace has to fly very well to use predator against you in 2.0, where as in 1.0 it just had to have you in arc.